Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f/0.95 Voigtländer Nokton
  • 308 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat are you saying that the DOF Calculator is useless, or do they have to make a clause for these two or at least one of them? http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

• Lens design, coating, and field curvature can affect DOF, too. That's why hands-on tests are needed to learn each lens.

• @stonebat Okay makes sense. Especially at the short DOF shot "test." I can see greater differences being apparent.

The only reason, I say it's possible that one of these is not true stated focal length is because I have read that the Pany 20mm is closer to 17mm. Okay, let's wait for the full test, but it looks like a nice option.

• Can anyone recommend a 50mm that pairs well with the Voigt 25mm?

@SuperSet Can you define your question more precisely, in which features should it be paired well?

• @stonebat

I think you're being fooled by the coma of the Voigtlander. They look exactly the same in his examples, just the Voigt is hyper soft. Been saying this for some time now... those things are almost unusable wide open.

And the reason you would use an 0.95 is to get a sharp 1.2~1.4. It's rare to find a sharp 25/1.4, this is the way you get it.

• @kholi

Are you saying both lenses have the same DOF at the max aperture? I don't think that's the case. See @beeldlab's flickr photostream. The difference seems obvious. The Nokton has shallower DOF at the same f-number.

I'm guessing the Nokton at 1.4 would have DOF similar to the HyperPrime at 0.95. Also the Nokton at 2.8 would have DOF similar to the HyperPrime at 2.0.

I'm waiting for a feedback from @beeldlab. I really wanna see sharpness comparison at similar DOF. Just wanna find more subtle differences.

• @stonebat

I'm always eager to learn.

*I've always carried hyperfocal charts (a habit from non-reflex Eyemos) and never heard of depth of field varying between lenses of equal focal length. Please direct me to any literature to explain.

*Coma is only one of the possible reasons the Nk25 is less sharp when close up and wide open.

(Let's be specific here: I'm not going to run with either of these samples-of-one when investing in kit).

The latter tester speaks in pejorative terms of laboratory testing. Bad sign, bad science.

When you eschew science, seek metaphor and blur distinction , you're expressing your own passion. Impressions matter and we should listen.

I've got a mate who stopped repairing cameras and lenses. I'm not going to drag him back to his bench to test these lenses. But he'd be able to tell me with a shrug of his shoulders what each does and why they were made that way.

Let's wait for real rests, as you said before.

• I read often "Voigtländer Nokton 25 mm / F 0,95 aspherical".

Please can someone let me know is there any other version that is not aspherical ? Also some of the 17.5mm versions have red text "aspherical" on the lens and some not ... I'm a bit confused ...

• At last, we have a true thread for the current bun-fight comparison between the Voigtlander NoktoN and the SLR Magic prototype competitor NoktoR:

Which fast 25mm MFT lens?

• Shot with the Voigtlander 25mm, just love this lens ! (clean out of the lens, no grading)

• @jjay Very nice. I'm having some trouble with blue chroma on lights that appear in frame. What are your camera settings and aperture with this lens? Thx!

• jfilmmaker, are you using any filters ? in low light you have to remove your uv filters with this lens...

• I'm absolutely in love with this lens! Shot this entire video using mine, also with unhacked gh2 on glidecam hd2000. Focusing was tough, so there are a lot of mistakes. But i don't care :-)

• @ abnoksius. What aperture and iso did you use?

• @jjay Ya, I'm returning my UV filter - appears to be useless

• @emweb aperture was mostly 1.4, and in some rare shots wide open 0.95. ISO 800 all the time.

• @jjay What white balance, and iso did you use? Thx!

• Has anyone had difficulties strapping a follow focus ring on this lens and getting good use? What brand of FF did you use? Thanks.

• I've no had any issues strapping my follow focus ring to the lens. In fact, this is my go to lens for rack focusing at the moment. I use the Lanparte follow focus system

• I have just seen that the lens gets offered in south korea for around 750$, a great deal. Does anybody have experience with sellers in south korea? Are there different build-qualities? Cheers!

• The Voight in Korea has dropped significantly since I bought mine. They are about $788 with the current exchange rate. I dont think there are different types.

• Cheers for your reply. I am tempted to go for one, eventhough i slightly prefer the SLR magic with its stepless aperture.

• It good that competition brings the price down!

• @abnoksius which hack you used?

• Is it just my model or is it normal that when you get to extreme apertures like f14 or f16 the aperture ring gets stiffer as you change it to those? Thank you!