Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool v3.66d public beta topic
  • PTool v3.66d public beta released

https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

1. You'll need to download firmware from http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

2. StreamParser by Chris Brandin as help tool to analyse AVCHD streams - https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

Other good idea is also use trial version of Elecard StremEye - http://www.elecard.com/en/download/products.html

3. Remember that Testers section patches are for testers. Use simple bitrate patches.

4. How can I make encoder hold better in low detailed scenes? Use Auto Quantizer patches.

5. How to update firmware:

• Load your camera firmware, see 1. how to get it.
      • Check all necessary patches, Version increment must be always checked.
      • Save firmware. Just change last digit to any number you want.
      • Copy firmware to root of SD card. Fully charge you battery. Do not even attempt to use AC coupler!
      • Power off your camera if it was on.
      • Power on camera. After this press (not hold) green play button.
      • You'll see hourglass and prompt to update.
      • Press down arrow and after this Menu/set.
      • Wait until upgrade will be completed.
    6. How to provide reports in this topic?

• Post here only problems and questions about new patches. For all else we have special topics.
      • Use systematic approach (one-two changes at a time with careful thinking).
      • Shift-Click on round button in PTool to save your particular settings.
      • Attach here settings with detailed observation + MediaInfo screenshot + StreamParser screenshot in case of troubles.

7. Read FAQs at http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

8-999. Reserved.

• 105 Replies sorted by
  • I want to believe)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hope this "you never know" will bring us something new. You never know :)

• @yskunto

It is always best to keep opinion with yourself :-) As you never know.

• I do not think that there will be a new PTOOL. It is pity, but I think hackers and patch developers seem abandon the project because no need to spend hours of hacking and patching when Panasonic start to include most what people need in Lumix newer generation camera.

• Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere before, I've search the forums, FAQs, etc.. to know if we can expect something new from the GH2 hack (or a new ptool version). I know it's an old model and it's probably unlikely because most of the stuff is already on new models like the GH4, but I love my GH2, I've been using it professionally for the last years and a lot of DOPs that I've worked with - even compared with cameras like C300, 5DMKIII or the GH4 - love the look it gives you for the price.

Thanks!

• I tryed to open the panasonic's g6__v12.bin (31'983'104 Bytes from 2014/02/04) in the ptool v3.66d (3'105'280 Bytes) and got the message: "wrong file or trying to use a already patched file"...

Looks like panasonic is using Your tools :)

Is there a solution to try?

Thanks a lot Oliver

• @efren

Nothing will "pop out". It just load settings differently merging them.

• Hey, I'm following these instructions from @cblock to merge Sanity with Pasadena but it doesn't work. Could it be the Ptool v3.66? When I press alt+click the merge option doesn't pop out. I tried with Wine under Mac and Windows 7 with bootcam

Thanks

Put the original firmware, ptool exe, Sanity ini & Pasadena ini in the same folder - make sure both ini files are labelled differently (eg: seta.ini & setb.ini)

Run PTool

Load original firmware

Click the corresponding green circle with a letter in it to load Sanity. Sanity is now loaded.

Hold 'Alt' then click the corresponding green circle with a letter in it to MERGE Pasadena.

Save Firmware

Load firmware onto a blank SD card that has been formatted using the GH2

Boot up your GH2 with fresh battery and the SD card with the firmware on it

Go into playback mode and agree to 'Version Up'.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Maybe you already know ... but I noticed on my GF2, but also on the GH2, that in QVGA MJPG mode the codec is 4.2.2 Planar YUV full scale (VLC-Tools-Info Codec). It would be great if a new version of PTOOL could operate on QVGA.

• Seen my mistake! PTools remembers where it last put firmware!

• @andyharris

Must be you accidently saved patched file other original firmware or such thing.

• Just having an issue trying to use 3.66d. I've downloaded the tool and the Panasonic firmware. Previous PTools have works for me, but in this case I'm getting the following error.

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 23.11.46.png
    1360 x 742 - 114K
  • @yskunto

Yes. Can't tell you more now.

• Vitaliy, it is already more than 18 months after the release of latest PTOOL 3.66D. Do you plan to release a new version of PTOOL in a near future? What would be your suggestion if I would like to buy something for pocket size video camera? Would it be the old TZ10 that is already have firmware hack or other camera such as LX-7 that is still in progress of hacking? Thanks

• Maybe it's due to GX1 small form factor. In that small body, heat dissapation could be worse that on other bigger cameras. I have GH2 and had no issues with recording at 88M bitrates on my vaccation in Egypt this summer. There was 53 degrees heat and GH2 won't stop recording.. not a single take..

• Thought you might all be interested to hear this - and sorry if it's something you already know a lot about, but I've only recently bought a GX-1 as a second camera to complement my AF-101 (same lens stock for both, same AVCHD codec etc.). And I've only just now signed up to this excellent forum. Using PTool I uprated the video bitrate to the recommended level, which matches the bitrate comning from the AF-101, and I've used it quite happily on several shoots in the UK. Great pictures, same Panasonic look, exactly what I need. And then I come to Zimbabwe, which is where I am at the moment, doing a covert shoot for an NGO in that country. I use SanDisk Extreme cards, never any problem, but in the 30-degree sun in Zim, after a few seconds the error message comes up "MOTION RECORDING WAS STOPPED BECAUSE OF THE WRITE SPEED OF THE CARD" (or something very close to those words). That doesn't make anybody happy in the middle of a shoot in what you could call "sensitive circumstances". After checking everything at least three times, then testing a SanDisk Extreme Pro card with the help of a Harare photo store, full HD recording was fine in the cool of an air-conditioned house, shop or car, but as soon as the camera went into the sun, the error message came up. After a lot of head-scratching, I went into PTool and lowered the data rate back to Panasonic's original, and the camera now records quite happily in full sun and 33 degrees. Interesting. We all know about batteries behaving differently in different temperatures, but SD cards? They and the camera were faultless in the 20 degrees of the UK, but unstable to put it mildly in the heat of an African summer. I hope this little bit of hard-won knowledge may save somebody a sleepless night!

• You must have original Panasonic battery in and fully cherged. Format SD card in camera before update. Firmware must be in the root of crad and must have exact name e.g. GX1__V11.bin If you hacked your camera, i think you must use PTool to version increment firmware to make camera accept new firmware.

• I jsut went through all the steps correctly to my knowledge, when I put the sd card into my camera and hold the green play button it looks like it flickers for a split second to the firmware panel but then just says NO VALID PICTURE TO PLAY. I tried to do this a couple months ago but did not have the bi. in the root folder. I was able to attempt to load firmware but nothing happened. Could my problem now be a result of that? I tried installing the stock Pana firmware to, same issue. How can I fix this??!! Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

• @vk apologies. @Dam4ge. I too hesitated and wondered if ptool 3.66, was or wasn't to be used , but was reasurred by those that know better that the difference wasn't applicable with a GH2 hack, and to go with ptool 3.66 as against 3.65 which I did and I haven't looked back.

• @Haberdasher

Please check my message above. It is wrong topic.

@NURBS

Same thing. PM or Development topic.

• @Dam4ge I'm just wondering if you're formating your card in the camera to start with, or if the card isn't up to it ? because I suffered similar grief.

• Will be plans for G6 Hack? :) Regards.

• This topic is not about settings.

• deleted.. sorry for OT...

• @tetakpatak I did search and couldn't find anything related. I might have used 'crashed' or 'frozen' incorrectly in the search though...not sure exactly how to label it.

@aljimenez I tried that (and not scrolling too quickly over the patch letters), built the firmware and uploaded it...everything went smoothly.

My only trouble now is that my SD card is a bit slow for the Moon T7 patch at the highest setting I think and it crashed the camera. But that I understand, I'll have to upload a patch with a lower bitrate so no worries there.

Thanks!