Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • @_gl Interesting. I can see why it would be a lot more noticeable for Frasier, being slowed down by 17%!

Did some more tests, I think how noticeable it is depends a lot on the song - Beck didn't show it much, but some electronic stuff did seemed a bit quicker to be fair.
  • Yes (I mentioned the Frasier example) - but in fairness only if I know what the actor should sound like, or if I can compare with the original version.

But I don't like not seeing/hearing something the way it was intended, even if I don't know it. In the Frasier example, I watched it for years so I really got used to the actors' pitch and pacing. So it's weird to see them interviewed and think 'wait, that's not what you sound like!'. Feels like it's another person.
  • @_gl Just curious, do you find it noticeable for dialogue?
  • > I honestly couldn't tell the difference apart from via direct comparison.

Fair enough, but I can.
  • My industry point was that people were saying they required 25p for use in broadcast, when conforming 24p is widespread in broadcast.

Just tried resampling Beck - Beercan using Soundtouch, which I understand uses the SOLA algorithm. I honestly didn't notice apart from with a direct comparison.

For non-music work, the difference would be even less noticeable.
  • BTW, the idea that 'the industry does it, so it must be perfect' is absurd. First we have a large range of quality on our TV screens, not all of it good. 2nd, the PAL TV industry _had_ to convert 24p to 25p because it had no choice, not because the results are flawless.

People in PAL countries are used to it, especially as they don't get to compare it to the original (like when I finally saw a US rate Frasier episode) - that's when I noticed how far off it actually is. In the Frasier case, the actors sounded much older on the US version, and the dialog and joke rate seemed to drag as everything was happening slower. I also frequently notice it with music that I know well when it turns up on a PAL-conformed movie, it sounds more hyperactive and like it was sung by a younger singer and aimed at a younger audience.

For another example, many non-English speaking countries dub their English imported TV shows. For people growing up in those countries, it seems perfectly normal, they don't notice the weird lip-sync errors, or that the same voice-artist is doing voices for different actors, and all kinds of weird things like that - because they're used to it, it's what their local industry does. It's only when they start watching the originals with subtitles that they notice how weird it actually is.
  • @Ptchaw, see this is why I'm unsually irritable on the subject. Don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. Just yesterday I tested it again by resampling a CD track - the resulting speedup (equivalent 24->25p) or slowdown (the other way) are totally unacceptable to me. It's the same pacing difference as I noticed between the US and UK versions of Frasier.

Let me turn the tables, why don't you try it. Take a music track (with a beat) you like and know, and speed it up to 104.2%, with whatever algorithm you have available.

As I said, not everyone will care and maybe you don't - but I do.
  • Here in Argentina, 99% of the work I do is 25P when I do a documentary for theatrical release it is 25P in festivals I always send 25P, only in fiction we use 24p and not always. Even in short films we work in 25P. The 50i can be good for some things but I alway end up converting to progressive (fast motion gets artifacts).

Here is a 60Hz 50Hz Map From Kameramann Jahrbuch
    60Hz NTSC
    50Hz PAL
    _1070872.jpg
    1962 x 1344 - 1M
  • @_gl I know the pace is changing, but I think you really need to try it before you say it has an effect on the footage; I've never been able to tell the difference. You're only being shown 1 more frame per second. Colour grading and polarising filters 'distort reality'.

Again with audio, I really doubt you'd ever tell the difference, let alone would it be a 'disaster'. I don't know what algorithm editors use, but from experience it has not just been an issue of 'good enough', but indistinguishable from the true speed.
  • @stolpis100 That's correct, it would affect any camera with rolling shutter regardless of frame rate, though it it is something to be aware of.

Can't tell you without doing some tests, but from what I remember it has to be pretty high!
  • I'll repeat (loosely) what I sent to Ian_t:

1) audio resampling changes pitch - unacceptable in many cases (people sound older, or younger & the feel of music changes)

2) audio stretching _without affecting pitch_ is not flawless - cheap algorithms are terrible, better ones like DIRAC3 (eg. in Wavelab 7) are passable but still have artifacts, and are very slow to process. It won't matter to everyone, it matters to me.

3) even if audio could be perfectly stretched, you are still changing the timing/pacing of the audio and video. For example, actors are now talking faster, music has a faster beat.

All of this distorts reality, and my artistic choices. It won't matter too much for some shots, it's a disaster for others - if you care.

Lots of video people care more about visuals than audio (that's why you still often see bad lip syncing in music videos). I care about both. So just because it doesn't seem important to you, don't assume that's true for everyone. I could also say 'why bother with higher bitrate, isn't the GH2's 24mbps already good enough'? It is for some - but if you really care about quality, you want more. Case closed.

• @Ptchaw Surely that rolling shutter issue you mention will be evident on any frame rate when shooting under regular lights, and an inherent issue with the way the rolling shutter works and not a 25p specific issue? At what shutter speed does the brightness variance start to become noticeable (in a negative way).
  • @madact You are right, though there are a couple of things I'd like to add:

You can't quite use any shutter speed you'd like due to rolling shutter; on high shutter speeds the time the top of the image was captured will be earlier that the time at the bottom of the image, so the brightness will vary across the frame.

You are limited to a shutter speed of 1/50th at 24p (and very slow shutter speeds) for lighting, though there isn't really a reason for not using 1/50th at 24p.
  • @madact Thanks for the explanation, been trying to get my head around those details for a while now. Fingers crossed for 25p soon!
  • @Ptchaw "You'd get the same problems with lighting and shutter speed at any other frame rate, nothing to do with conforming. The shutter is still open for the same amount of time for each frame."

Not quite sure what you mean by this? I agree that it has nothing to do with framerate conforming, but the comments about "any other frame rate" and "open for the same amount of time" don't seem to make sense. I'm not sure you're disagreeing, but I'll give the lecture for the benefit of all ;o)

The problem is that if you have 50Hz mains, the light output from incandescents and particularly fluros has a ripple at 100Hz, though some have an asymmetric response (or in one case I saw, a bridge-type dimmer circuit with one side burnt out :oS) which gives a waveform that repeats at 50Hz. If you run a fast shutter speed and the frame rate is not 25 or 50 fps, you hit that ripple at a different point each frame, and hence get a different amount of illumination on the scene each frame, hence the flicker. If you set your shutter speed to *exactly* 1/25, 1/50, or if you're really lucky (depending on the specifics of the lighting) 1/100 of a second, you get *exactly* a full cycle of the ripple in each frame, which averages out to no flicker. Any other shutter speed, and the whole thing strobes at either 2 or 4 Hz, depending (once again) on the specifics of the lighting.

However... and this is why it matters: if your shutter fires 25 (or 50) times a second, you can use any shutter speed you like, because it will always 'open' at the same point in the ripple and 'close' at the same point in the ripple.

So the general rule is, if you're shooting under domestic / low budget lights with detectable ripple, you match your *shutter* frame rate (i.e. the rate at which images are physically taken at the business end of the camera) to whatever frequency is running the lights. Or get limited to a couple of set (and relatively slow) shutter speeds... which can suck, esp. if you want a bit of control over motion blur.

Note: A lot of stage lighting and big-*** quartz floods don't really suffer from this as the thermal mass of the filament takes the ripple out pretty well, and DC or HF LED arrays have no issues at all, but any domestic globe, fluro, or mains-drive HID lamp will do it.
  • @stolpis100 The difference in speed is so small it really isn't noticeable. You don't need to make them perform slower :P

@evero I can sympathise with multi-cam users, though if you really wanted you could shoot on 24p on all cameras!

I can't talk for other editing software, but for Premiere at least, the render engine is very efficient at conforming footage and it really doesn't add much to render times; its just taking the frames in the same way but at a different speed.
  • @ptchaw For many of us, using the GH2 as B cam is very likely. I use it with AF100, but in the future also in other multicam settings with various PAL cameras (with the 30 min (pal) timelimit gone, it's very usable for this).
    Time stretching and pitch correcting huge projects will add even more rendering time, and believe me, I struggle enough with time and power consuming timeline issues as it is.
    In some projects you have the time, in some you don't.
  • ..and it's still an issue with a mix of 24/25 cameras.
  • @Ptchaw I have just illustrated in my post above how the 24p to 25p workflow is insufficient with music videos.
  • I am in total agreement with the above. I do a lot of music videos where sync is obviously vital. The least time consuming method would be to ask the artists to play to a version of the track that has been slowed down, shoot at 24 fps and then reinterpret the video to 25p in post so that the sync matches in my 25p timeline, but even then we are jumping through hoops and the artists would appear to be over caffeinated in their movements! Please dear god let 25p with no adverse lighting flicker be a possibility!
  • Moving all conforming discussion here...

@_gl @mrbill Please give me a scenario, other than maybe B-cam, where conformed 24p is insufficient, now that we've established it is widespread in industry and produces indistinguishable results.

Time stretching and pitch correcting in Premiere is as easy as speeding up by 4.2% and checking the preserve audio pitch box.

@Donnie88 @madact You'd get the same problems with lighting and shutter speed at any other frame rate, nothing to do with conforming. The shutter is still open for the same amount of time for each frame.

@evero If you're thinking of the 180 shutter rule, the difference between 1/48th and 1/50th shutter speeds is indistinguishable.

Not saying that 25p/50p isn't needed on the GH2, but this is a perfectly usable workaround.
  • Excellent response from Mimirsan. That's exactly how most of us in countries where 25p is essential, feel like.

Yes 24p can be conformed, but it's fiddly and causes minor problems. These guys discussing shutter speeds, time-stretching etc just shows how it complicates things for us.

We're not looking for a boost in bitrate or something that will enhance aesthetics...just to simply be able to shoot in what our countries require us to.

So I'll be crying for Argentina until it happens

More importantly, as Mimirsan asked; "...will we get 25p from the hack?"

+2 wah wah wah :P
  • edit: @madact answered the question. But I wouldn't think 25p would solve all those problems? Would more of the shutter settings be compatible with 50Hz lighting when using 25p vs 24p?
  • @stolpis100 That's the idea - even if the camera and mains phases drift slightly the brightness will only change very slowly (and could easily be compensated for in pp if it's an issue at all), as opposed to a distracting and practically impossible to remove strobe effect (especially if mixing lamps and sunlight).

Everyone seems to be debating the relative merits of time-stretching, which I can understand to a point, but the big(-ger) issue is being locked to a single shutter speed when shooting under lights. I don't really understand why people are putting the emphasis there, unless they all shoot mostly outdoors and natural light...
  • @evero correct. 25p is vital for me working in London and the lack of it if the only reason I have not dived in and purchased one. I work 99% in post so am no expert in actual shooting so have one question...Am I right in thinking if 25p is achieved on this camera then you could shoot under our 50Hz lights at any shutter setting of our choosing?