Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fotga makes serious progress with their FF
  • 94 Replies sorted by
  • I'm looking to buy the dp500 II soon, but it seems that a new version is on the horizon

I ask them and let you know later.

• fotga.jpg
    598 x 599 - 41K
    fotga1.jpg
    596 x 600 - 39K
    fotga2.jpg
    599 x 596 - 70K
    fotga3.jpg
    597 x 601 - 60K
    fotga4.jpg
    598 x 595 - 50K
  • Great to see a choice of sizes for the gears!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I have the DP500 II it is really nice considering the price, I paid $179.00 shipping included with the same type of quick release clamp. On the unit that I have there is zero backlash. I have had it for about 10 months so far so good. To tell you the truth I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is, and I would not hesitate in buying another one. It is actually a really high quality FF IMO regardless of its price point.I know that this is off topic but even the Mattebox that they have looks really good. I was actually thinking of purchasing that as well and for $250.00 its a steal.

• @Azo

Yep, this guys make really good gear. They have something new coming soon (I mean not FF).

• That can really change things for me Vitaliy, can you please keep us up to date?

• Does anyone know what the improvements are for the D5002S? Has anyone tried one yet?

• I noticed that most of the sellers are from Hong Kong but I just can't find a brick and mortar shop in Hong Kong that sells these items. Searching in google (in English) didn't help either. Does anyone have any idea where I can find one in HK? It'd be even better if someone can point me to stores with a large selection of video gears?

• @BlackLegSanji

It is not marketplace topic, so not indended for HK shops discussions.

• I just got a a fotga DP500 IIS through the forum's hot deal's page, paid about 160$ for it. I don't use this FF for work, I got it to shoot home videos with my d7100 and stay in focus without guestimating the distance on the lens. I built a small cage to quickly snap on my slr and plug in a mic to shoot. It takes 20 seconds to setup and is very suitable for stable run and gun.

rig

Now to the FF, it feels sturdy, the marking disc snaps well in place, no backslash at all so far (been using it lightly for a couple of weeks). I think there's room for improvement on the quick release bracket. It could be easier to snap on and off, but it doesn't really affect me since mine just seats on the same rig at all time. You have to retighten the screws on the gear and the hard stops every now and then but nothing out of the ordinary.

I might use it for work on a C300/5D shoot and try to sneak it in the budget. So far I don't see much difference with the FF we get at the rental shop (can't remember the brands, I've never been too obsessed with that kind of gear).

So far I'm very happy with my setup, it cost me less than 200€ (I recycled an old Sennheiser I had laying around) and is very well tailored for light hand held DSLR video, I hardly ever get any soft footage anymore.

Edit : I forgot to add that it doesn't come with the multiple gears, you have to purchase those separately at a surprisingly high price from what I've gathered (about 30 bucks). I didn't bother buying them as I don't need them at home, but it's must have if you wanna use it to work with primes.

DSC_1691.jpg
    1000 x 664 - 108K
  • I forgot to add that it doesn't come with the multiple gears, you have to purchase those separately at a surprisingly high price from what I've gathered (about 30 bucks). I didn't bother buying them as I don't need them at home, but it's must have if you wanna use it to work with primes.

Yep, you need to choose one you need at purchase. I think it is strange.

• Does anyone know where I can get a marking wheel for the FF 500 IIS ? They're no where to be found on ebay or Chinese direct retailers. I would like to have one for each lens I use with permanent markings.

• Can anyone confirm if it possible to use it with pancake lenses like the 14 mm , 20 mm from panasonic ? thanks

• @labalbi

Panasonic pancakes use electronic focus ring. And it is not the best idea to use any FF with it, as you can't get any repeated moves.

• Where to get lens rings? they are ridiculously expensive everywhere

• Where to get lens rings? they are ridiculously expensive everywhere

They are cheap and plenty on ebay.

• Vitaliy is there any good fotga for Canon 5D mk 3 i just sold my GH3? thnk you

• Vitaliy is there any good fotga for Canon 5D mk 3 i just sold my GH3? thnk you

What do you mean? What makes the difference here?

• I've been using this follow focus for about a year and a half now, and it's still every bit as rock solid and reliable of a device as ever. However, I recently picked up a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Nikon, which has an opposite focus throw from the rest of my lenses. Here's my question: is there any way to reverse the gear on this thing? I just can't get used to turning the wheel away from me, in order to focus closer. For now I'm mounting it upside down to my top rails, but that looks kind of silly...

• @Sangye

As far as I know only Lanparte has optional reversing wheels.

• @Sangye @Vitaliy_Kiselev The Edelkrone FocusONE PRO too ;)

• This is getting a little off topic, but does anyone know of any kind of band or belt that could be used to effectively reverse the drive of this follow focus? So rather than a gear driving the lens directly, the gear would drive a belt, which wraps around the lens (geared or ungeared). This could be an easy way to reverse the direction of a follow focus unit. For that matter, a very large diameter lens gear could maybe be turned inside out to have the same effect.