Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Confused by various Panasonic models - which camera to complement GH2 for hacked video?
  • Hi, I own a GH2 which I use heavily for video work, with the Cake v.2.3 patch. I would like to purchase a second, less expensive Panasonic cam to use as a B cam, but I am confused by the different models: G, GX, GF etc. Which would you recommend? Thanks Izhar

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Same question here I really would hear peoples opinion

• Second hand GH2 or GH1? No, seriously get another GHx. You should be able to find them in local ads.

• The GF series doesn't match to well unless you stick with 720.

Just not enough Rez in 1080.

Also going above 800 iso gets real noisy in a bad way...

• i got my gh2 body only for £370 quid from mbp photographics :)

• Get 2nd Gh2. Save yourself from many hours. Gh2's 24p is just too unique.

• OK, we already know that the GH2 match exactly a GH2. Question is which other lower price Panasonic could we use to save money and get a closest possible video.

• @haribabis

Sorry, some of us tend to forget that others (and other countries) have different purchasing powers. The story is, get a GF camera and live with the quality drop. Get some hints from @Rambo 's posts. [Edit: the dude seems to make any gear look good, dammit!]

• @Roberto thanks I have one GH2 (prefer Sanity and Flow Motion :) ) I/m investing in lens now. So your suggestion is GF models. Going to check now. Thanks!

(hmmm, anyone knows something about LUMIX® DMC-SZ7 video ?)

• In good light, the Sony HX9V is punching above its weight. Much better then SZ7. Better rez than GF-series, 24-384mm zoom, 1080 50/60p and superb image stabilization. I use it on events with GH2s. Only thing you lose is shallow DOF and some dynamic range but underexpose by 1-2 stops and the image is very gradable. Another good B-cam would be a GoPro Hero2 (soon to updated with higher bitrate and flatter colors) if you need some different shots (super wide or under water)