Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Total disaster, reports from the weddings front
  • On demand, I start this topic to share and gather tips and stories for wedding cinematographers. Keep it short and helpful :-)

• 108 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting 'cause you also get lots of nice tips =)

password: stolen

• Anybody done a live video stream for a wedding before? I have one coming up next weekend.

• @DancingCamera Terry Pratchett much lately?

• @DancingCamera I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.... +1

• @oscillian Indeed, in fact I hear it will be ushered in by the GH5 in 2014.

Just prior to skynet's spontaneous self-awareness, @Driftwood sends a clone of himself into the future to create "roboapocalypse" setting, a lauded successor to MOON v7, however he loses his sunglasses and he really liked those sunglasses. Babies cry. People are married and buried. @vicharris notes his fondness for the samyang/rokinon cine lenses. In the meantime, evolved quadcopters learn to make toast and soft-boiled eggs, with a rather passable Hollandaise.

Two years before the end of the world, Vitaliy ascends to his status as "the one," causing @Shian to shave his head and go into an underground laboratory in search of a Ghear that accurately represents the density of "the one." No one hears from him again, but his name is oft-mentioned in the foothills.

One year before the end of the world, skynet - now a web of intelligent computers using humans to do their taxes - spontaneously combusts after too many machines, shooting RAW 1024k, attempt to record the last living bush at the same moment.

When the world actually ends, a comet hits it. The earth becomes an icy, barren desert amenable only to a few species of sulfuric bacteria- with one exception. We move in aerially with a view of the new southern hemisphere landmass - frozen land stretching on endlessly - finally closing in on the rim of a once underwater volcano. As we get closer we notice a flickering light, and we see: a small circuit board looping a 2001 email from a wealthy Nigerian Prince looking to transfer funds. The board occasionally sparks and twitches...

But I don't think he goes into all that at @ 10:18

• @DancingCamera Did the guy in the Quadcopter TED video really say "SkyNet" @10:18 ? Guess the roboapocalypse isn't that far away, after all ;)

• @ahbleza Oops! Talk about not clearing stuff with the priest in advance.

• actions takes place at 5:20

• @ahbleza the video is not mine, if it were most probably I'll had put fire to photog dress a long time before this moment and voila, enterteinament and the end of problem :P
    BTW in your nickname with an "e: after the "b" one would read oh beauty in portuguese and cool in brazilian portuguese

her - the photog - version of the story, jijiji

If it was really that bad, then why didn't one of them (there were 2) walk up to me and ask me to move? Why couldn't they move their cameras around, why am only I expected to make sure I'm not in their shot, use smaller lenses, compromise my work for theirs? Of course I would have moved / crouched down / worked faster / whatever if they had tapped me on the shoulder and pointed out how badly I was apparently blocking their shot. But why am I the only one who can change something? Why can't they move one camera? Come up next to me? Just like them I was paid to capture the wedding.

There were no sidelines. NONE. Very crammed and tight. There was hardly anywhere to go. I started out on the other side of bride and groom, sort of behind the groom, and eventually worked my way out, which was almost impossible. I have no problem going through bushes and climb over rocks to go around; not an option here. I barely managed to squeeze through the dozen or so kids which were sitting at the front of the aisle, in a crouched manner, trying to be small.

I then crouched in the aisle for some time, getting bride and groom, and close-ups of them and their emotions, for those of you who so smartly commented that I didn't bother with those. I was able to shoot bride and groom crouched down and out of sight, especially since they were a step down from the aisle.

I needed to stand up to get the faces of the bridesmaids and groomsmen, people who I would assume are hugely important to the bride and groom. Yes, in this case I was standing up at the front of the aisle for longer than I usually do, and yes, there was a lot of chimping, The light was very challenging and I do like to make sure I get good exposures rather than wishing I changed something later. Some were in the shade, some half in the sun, some had glaring background behind them. Lighting changes, exposure/flash changes.

I did talk to the videographers beforehand and mentioned that I usually get some shots from the front of the aisle; they made it sound lke it was not a problem. I did apologize later for having been up there for as long as I had. They said not to worry about it – yet this is where I find myself. All through the day I asked them if I was in their shot, if they wanted me to move, if they wanted to change anything, get another pose with bride and groom, did they get what they wanted. I do not think I'm more important than the videographer. I've had 2 other videographers this summer tell me I am so nice to them and easy to work with. At least I try.

How is it that Handlebar Studios posts this on vimeo with the caption "learn to play nice", but doesn't approach me about it? Who is not playing nice? I would never ever post anything like this about another vendor in the area.

Lastly, I would like to know how it is o.k. for f-stoppers to use a video that was apparently posted in a Facebook group – private, I assume – and make an article out of it, which now has spilled over to petapixel and into my clients' news feeds?

• @maxr That's why my wedding video contracts always stipulate that we can't be responsible for idiot photographers standing in the way, blocking shots.... plus a couple of strategically placed Go-Pros just in case they do.... still, a nightmare!

• thats damn cool

• Not a wedding, but :-)