Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Choosing Light Kit
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • @kronstadt, thanks that's really useful! i like how the 2 light approach you are talking about is both budget friendly at the start, but also forces you to think about working/moulding the light you have with reflectors.

• @kronstadt

thanks for the advice about using CTO gels on the window. But wouldn't that look weird that a tungsten color light is coming from the window?

My suggestion is for when you want all light sources the same colour.

If using daylight from window and tungsten inside .. if you put CTB on the tungsten sources your contrast ratio goes up or you need more tungsten light .. if you put CTO on the windows contrast ratio goes down, or you need less tungsten light.

You white balance appropriately

• @kronstadt Also I think people use 1/2-CTO on windows, as this doesn't entirely correct the windows to tungsten, but half-corrects it, leaving enough difference that you see a slight shift in colour between natural and artificial lights. Similarly, you can get 1/2 CTB to use on tungsten lights to do the same thing (leaving the windows unchanged). It can be a nice look to keep a slight difference but without the colours being too wildly different.

• @kavadni yes, thanks for clarifying that about the contrast ratio. Yes, that makes sense.

@Mark_the_Harp yes, that's what I've been doing for daylight scene rehearsals/readings (I mean adding a 1/2 CTB or 1/4 CTB). Works ok, but I've gotta try this CTO on windows trick too at some point - sounds compelling. I'm only just getting started with shooting in color and using filters, after a long sleep after once shooting on super-8mm and 16mm B&W many years ago. With B&W however you light it, even a simple single hard-light + some practical light, it looks interesting and "stylish", but with color and HD it's a whole different ballgame.

By the way, I've found that using white baking paper (£1 for 8m roll from Poundland) works pretty well in creating a "diffusion filter". I'm gonna update my list with this item.

I have a question to everyone. What would you say is a good cheap bounce-card? Foam-board or polysterene, or what? Any eBay links would be appreciated.

I'm also interested to know what would make for a cheap substitute to a C-stand in order to hold fairly lightweight items (white bounce-cards and black flags). So far I'm thinking of getting those ultra-cheap eBay light stands (£8), mounting small ball-heads on them (£3) and constructing some sort of DIY foam-board forks with wood/plastic and nails/screws.

The more I delve back into lighting gear and experiment, the more I recall how indispensable bounce-cards and flags are. I'd say maybe just as important as the light projectors.

• E27 bulb holders I've also recently purchased one of those eBay E27 bulb holders, thinking that I can make a "kicklight" with it with black-foil or adding a matte black tube, to make a directional back-light source.

But I'm having trouble finding a decent powerful enough (~250W) E27 halogen bulb. Can anyone help but posting links to tungsten bulbs that I could use on these bulb-holders? I've found 250W infrared bulbs, but I'm not sure if that's gonna be health hazard or fire risk.

• @kronstadt Poundland white baking paper = clever idea! I'd also love to know if / how you work out how to clamp bounce boards 'cos that's the thing I've most struggled with (without buying the proper bits). I use a strong mic stand & boom arm because you can quickly tilt it to any angle, but how to attach the board properly - I use bulldog clips attached to a mic clip on the end of the boom arm, with the other end clamped as best I can to the main bit of the mic stand, but that's not ideal as the thing moves round on the boom arm. Certainly not much use for anywhere windy.

Re your b&w experience, I read that in the days of b&w TV, that the studio was much more colourful than it is now. Presumably people used slightly reddish tints to be kinder to skin tones? Or maybe b&w TV cameras had a particularly strange spectral sensitivity?

I've not done CTO on windows as it needs a lot of CTO but I can see it would make more sense to knock down the daylight level and the use un-gelled lights (as opposed to letting it all in and then balancing it with lights which are losing a bit of power due to being gelled). BTW but possibly related, have you ever seen those clothing shops with what looks like CTO covering their windows? I think it was something popular with shopkeepers in the 1960s or so. I wonder what that was about?

• @Mark_the_Harp Yeah, I've struggled with keeping bounce cards and flags at an EXACT position too. A slight degree variation and the whole lighting is off.
    But, this is what they often use on sets http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110895093434 I'm gonna make mine DIY with a piece of wood and some long screws (or nails) to screw into the foamboard. At the bottom of the wood plank I'll attach (with epoxy putty) a 1/4" nut. That will allow me to screw it onto a small camera ball-head. The ball-head screws onto the tip of a light stand (provided that it has a 1/4" nipple on top of its spiggot. Those ultra cheap stands on eBay for £8.05 have it). Total cost £12-£15. Simple.

But this setup has no booming arm. I think I'll also try your idea with the boom mic stand. Can you post some e-bay links for cheap mic stands? As long as it is secured with heavy sandbags http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-868732-10-Pack-Sandbags/dp/B000NBVA3W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_light_2 (10 for £4), it should work fine. I've also read that drum cymbal stands should also work, although their height is limited.

• Has anyone used 120W Par38 bulbs? Or 250W infrared bulbs? Would they make for a good backlight kicker light?

I wonder what do people in this forum use for kicklight (backlight)?

• @kronstadt .. doing a stock take on my lights for insurance.

Tungsten 3 x Ianiro Reds .. genuine article .. had them for over 25 years .. in storage for for 13. 1 x Ianiro Blonde .. 25 years also 1 x Arri 650W .. it's not quite as old .. that's my kicker. It can take a 500w globe I ND it if it's too much. 2 x Lowell Tota's .. these are cheap and quite useful .. they throw a squarish pattern and work well to light up a background .. they're about the same output as the redhead .. no focus .. they are really compact .. they are fiddly.

I've recently bought Floros and LED 4 of the Daylight AS312 through Vitaliy's offer. I throw these in the car whenever I take the camera.

4 x 4 E27 Globe Flouro fittings with softboxes http://www.hypop.com.au/continuous-lighting/photography-octagon-soft-box-lighting-set/large-80cm-quad-head-single-octagon-softbox-lighting-set-by-hypop.html .. these are for the studio that is being built for green screening.

They came with 4 x 65W globes. I bought them as 2 sets of 2. When I ordered the second set they sent me a set of two single globe pop-up umbrella softboxes in error .. when I rang them asked about sending them back, they said not to bother .. so I got lucky. I carry these and the two totas in the same bag now.

2 x E27 125W Globe Flouro fittings with softboxes http://www.hypop.com.au/continuous-lighting/photography-octagon-soft-box-lighting-set/double-octagon-collapsible-lighting-set-by-hypop.html .. that kit.

I bought two of these bags recently http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842404-REG/CineBags_CB_06O_CB_06_Gel_Roll_Black_Orange.html I have diffusion in one gels in the other.

I make cutters from black foamcore, I buy 4 x 6 sheets of poly for reflectors. I have 2 x 5in1 pop-up reflectors .. 1 option is diffusion, and two by holders for them that attach to a stand. I have 7 Manfrotto stands, 8 crap ones, 3 grip heads, 1 c-stand boom with a grip head, and 2 manfrotto autopoles, 4 superclamps, and 4 piece backdrop support rod ... assorted adapters and spigots.

My current wishlist : A couple of kino style lights probably 4 tubes .. the flouro softboxes are a little slow to set up and pack up. Kino's you just plop them on the stand and turn them on, c-stands, and a butterfly frame.

• @kavadni wow, that's one mighty lighting kit you've got there. Enough to light up pretty complex scenes even on a constructed studio set. Are you like a professional "electrical department" person?

I think I'll take your advice about acquiring another Redhead in the future, although I'm giving a serious consideration to a 2K Blonde or a 250W HMI. I know that there's a lot of hype around the LEDs, but I found it difficult to work with (no easy way to "contain" or "shape" the light), and same thing with fluorescent energy-saving bulbs - the light from them always somehow looks "unnatural" to my eye. I keep my own lighting kit as basic as possible due to cost, portability (I try to make sure that my entire cine-gear is no more than 2 bags so that it can fit an average taxi cab) and, importantly, workflow on location shoots (we all know that lighting gear is the most time-consuming to set up or pack up) and I can only afford to shoot in "natural" locations (inside real living spaces, for example), rather than inside studios.

• @kronstadt

A roll of black wrap can help control the LED's.

I worked for a gaffer for a couple of years fresh out of school. My light kit lacks hard/point sources.

• I would make inside chromakey video. Here from tubetape a studio lighting kit

http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-754/5-Point-Studio-Lighting/Detail

Is this a good solution?

• @Amadeus5D2.

The only issue with that style of softlight is that they are fiddly to setup.
    You can't just throw it on a stand, they take about 10 minutes minimum each to set up:

60-120 seconds per globe .. then .. 180-300 seconds per box and diffusor
    half that to pack away

They are all soft lights .. if that's what you are after and you don't need to work fast

• They also very poor reliability and packing size. But stationary at studio they are ok.
    I think if you have resources it is best to invest in good fluos panels.

• ah, o.k. I would use it only stationary, but what means you with fluos panels( fluorescent?). for me is important that the light is producing low heating.

• I love how they never actually show anything keyed in that video.

• @Amadeus5D2 I actually had those before and as Vitaliy said, packing them up and building them are a pain in the butt. I actually went to the 4 bank flourescent panels. I bought the cowboy studio ones that look like the Diva kits and purchased the same bulbs as Kino uses. They just rebrand GE or Phillips. I can't remember offhand which. The doors suck but they work just as well as the Kino brand, without the dimming which I just do with diffusion or ND. I think you can pick them up for $250 a piece and that includes stand.

• thinking about grabbing this as a good starting-studio kit. Very small, but useable lighting later on if I decide to upgrade. http://www.amazon.com/ePhoto-Lighting-Portrait-Carrying-Fluorescent/product-reviews/B002SCGY5S/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Can I use my LED for a rim light with these or will the color balance be off? Same question If I later on upgrade to the AS-arri lights offered in the deals.

good (CHEAP) starting kit? what do you guys think?

• They are fine if you don't need to set em up and tear em down everyday. They most likely will need some minus green, maybe just 1/4 but they are a good start. As for your LED, depends on which one you have. I had a few of the cheap ones from amazon, 96 or 70's, I can't remember and after I purchased some of the AS lights that Vitaliy has on here, I noticed how green they were. Just horrible. Sold em right away for nothing. More than likely everything will be skewed towards green. Minus green will be your friend.

• I have a LED kit 2xcn900, 1xcn600 and 1x312sa bicolour. Great setup for interviews and other indoor shooting. When i planed to buy this lights i was afraid about colour shift, but in fact it is not problem, with minus green and proper white balance. Some pro guys who was sceptical about my cheep LEDs, now making TVCs with it and they take it for rent from me. It mixing with flos or big HMI without any problem.

• Would love to hear what people think would be the best light solution for filming outdoors at night when there are no electrical outlets. Something battery powered. Obviously LEDs are inexpensive. What are the pros/cons for LEDs, and which are best? What other alternatives are there (regardless of cost) for lighting outdoor night scenes when there are no electrical outlets?

• I second the battery powered LEDs. I have a 500 and 312AS Bi as well. Same ones sold on here and they friggin rock. I also have an older 500 Fancier that I don't use too much, no batteries. I used the other for the car stuff I posted in the CM Night thread and going to use them again tomorrow night for some car to motorcycle stuff at night. The batteries last pretty darn long and some cheap extras are easy to find. The one thing I'm still finding is that I need to slap on a layer of 1/4 minus green like @ala_img did. Well, don't know if he used 1/4 but you get the point. I had some cheap LEDs and didn't realize how bad they were till I picked up these new ones. I've seen the 900s at night at they light the shit out of stuff. Need an AB battery for those though. Two 500's and One 312 from here might be a great place to start. Not sure if I'm sold on the whole Bi Color lights yet or not. Lee makes 3200 color gels just for LEDs now that also takes out the green. They work really well. I also have a 3 piece Kino Diva knock off set that I use so as soon as I try to adjust some color on any bi-color LED, it all gets a little more difficult with the mix.

• @vicharris Great info. Thanks. That shot of the woman in car was really well lit. Did you say you were using one of the AS LEDs for that shot? Amazing. Are they dimmable? For the 1/4 minus green, guess you're talking about the pink sheets you cut to size?

• @matt_gh2 The car shot was. I had the 312 BiColor on the dash set at 3200K with a 1/4 minus green and two layers of .9ND on it. Then the 500 LED sold on here which is always 5600K with a layer of 316 Diffusion I think and a 1/4 Minus green clamped and to the top of the car, right above her coming through the sunroof, as a hair light and hitting the seat. Also, yep, all dimmable. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't. Also all the night tests I did in my Camtree Car Rig thread, I had the 312AS on the dash but didn't have the 1/4 minus green on it. That made a big difference on my hair highlights.