Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Bellows Hoods are Back in Style - 90 minute conversion project
  • Spurred on by Black Magic Design having presented their new camera sporting bellows, I've finally got around to modifying my Hasselblad bellows mattebox into a hood. Since I used the rear filter slot as a mount, it no longer qualifies as a matte box - but the original is left totally intact and conversion is reversible.

Shown extended to FOV of Panasonic 14mm pancake; will fast-adjust to any focal length.

Next, upper French flag and front letterbox matte. I'm hoping it will be seriously dark in there!

image imageimage

My bellows cost $50. See similar on eBay

or Mamiya models at http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=mamiya+bellows+-macro+-focus&LH_PrefLoc=2&_npmv=3imageimage

[Edit 3 June: added much smaller file-size pics, PNGs too big, sorry!]

name.JPG
    797 x 400 - 86K
    Bracket.PNG
    378 x 400 - 270K
    BoxOnBracket.PNG
    968 x 818 - 851K
    OnCamera.PNG
    626 x 550 - 507K
    MountedRear.PNG
    742 x 550 - 527K
    Bracket.jpg
    189 x 200 - 4K
    MountedRear.jpg
    332 x 300 - 12K
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for post.

Looks really cool.

Also very usable are rubber hoods.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I'm just discovering other advantages besides killing much more unwanted stray light:

1. Yes indeed. it does turn out to look extremely cool - and I can't say I mind that :-). (Sort of like a DSLR in a dinner-suit).
    2. With bellows closed, it packs down really flat into a small case so I'll be taking it places when a matte box would have been too big;
    3. I'll work much faster than with a fixed hood & flags.
  • I have exactly the same bellows, been meaning to do something like this for a while. Is it a pain to focus with the bellows on?

• @DaleCampbell

Is it a pain to focus with the bellows on?

• The short answer us yes - it's as hard as any matte box.
    • I'm doing this as part of my "let the camera do the work" trials;
    • You could actually set most lenses back further than I've shown, using some sort of cone-shaped donut or adapter;
    • You could add a focus lever-thingy;
    • Thanks for your input! (tell me if you can think of an elegant way to add a French flag without drilling into the bellows. (remember I'll be adding a slide-in metal letterbox matte; the lens will be in a Ned Kelly-style bunker. Without a small flag, sunlight will hit the upper edge of the slit.)
  • Added my drawing for steel 16:9 matte. Sent this away for laser cutting quotes. If I get a good price maybe others might be interested..

If my matte prototype works, I could even send the CAD files of both matte and bracket off to somebody who can run off a batch of these.

HasselbladLetterbox.png
    816 x 1056 - 132K