Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Perils of switching from Final Cut to AVID
  • Here's an interesting article on the problems found with a production house who switched from Final Cut Pro to AVID.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/a-cautionary-tale-for-the-fcp-switcher

Quote:

"To their credit, Avid listened to everything we had to say and tried to help. In fact, they did help a lot addressing some issues along the way. Sending Bob Russo down here spur of the moment was above and beyond what I would have ever expected, given how small of a shop we are. I had multiple conversations with product managers, engineers, and others at Avid. They really were all trying their best to help us through the situation and get us back on track.

But the software itself was throwing up roadblock after roadblock, mainly because of the way the database works. It was doing what it was designed to do, make sure that all of the media was tightly controlled so that the editor can always find the original clips. And as such, it had a very rigid way of working which conflicts with the "new, more open Avid."

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Inability to adapt and lack of flexibility when presented with a new set of tools and procedures, is the equivalent of saying 'sorry I can't cook'

I do not agree here. As I don't think that constant adaptation to different tools is good idea.

• It's kind of funny .. as a long time AVID user, one of the things I dislike about FC is how tedious it seems to be to track back to your original media ..