Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pro: GH2 AVCHD encoder settings
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like the 720p settings also double the frames. Stream Parser is indicating 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS.
    Half Frame Rate.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 449K
  • I think that is Vitaliy is recommending the usage of Elecard Streameye for visual confirmation. As StreamParser was reporting my 1080i60 files as 1080p24w but on visual inspection they were most definitely i60
  • Yes, StreamParser can glitch with unknown formats (in the time of development).
  • Elecard Streameye has also been known to glitch on valid AVCHD stream data, most notoriously with its misleading "rogue frames"
  • @LPowell

Yes it can glitch. In fact if you look at deprecated topic you linked I started whole thing about problems.
    But I think that talking about glitches in current context do not have any value.
  • Thanks :) I'll upload a downloadable clip on vimeo in a little bit. Still, to get over the motion recording issue, after everytime the camera is powered down, I need to record in 24H, then switch to SH and I have no problems with any errors.
    bitrate.jpg
    1630 x 305 - 160K
  • I wonder if doing 24H first runs some kind of setup routine that is then re-used for any subsequent recordings..
  • Absolutely fantastic. 28mb with b-frames completely kills the nasty motion artifact macro blocking of 720p mode.

Will post vimeo link after it gets done encoding so you can download. On youtube, watch in original quality for best viewing purposes
    http://vimeo.com/download/video:57960995?v=2&e=1310089958&h=27003d303b6a523c37bdc3907387dce1&uh=55e53dc2505925abe86dea6433610fc1
  • Very clean. Also may I ask what anamorphic lens is used here?
  • Has anyone had a play around with the "1080 progressive" or "1080i59,97 --> 59,97p" patches yet?

First time you use them it freezes the camera, giving the "Memory card is too slow" message. But if you eject the battery and bootup again you can record just fine. Problem is that the video output is all garbled, top half of the frame is very pixelated and the bottom half has massive corruption with bright colours flashing all over the place and large horizontal bars of green and magenta scrolling upwards. Any ideas?
  • What settings are you using PlasmaMP? the same mpgxvcd?
  • mpgxsvcd settings
  • @Dazza

No one has had any luck with those settings yet.
  • Until now I got the Memory Card error every time attempting 1080/50p, various settings tried, corruption in live view when record button activated - but then I plugged in a HDMI monitor (SmallHD DP6), hit record and the GH2 entered record mode fine, both the HDMI output and live view did not have the corruption of before, but unfortunately the AVCHD file recorded was corrupt with the half pixilation and half heavy macro blocking, weird corruption, etc. others have also reported.

Here is analysis of my corrupt 1080/50p MTS file. Bitrate seems far too low to support 60p, so need to change that.

Stream: Max Speed = 18,382,980 bps
    Mode = 1080/50pN
    PCR Timing Interval = 0.095 seconds
    Clip Time = 0:00:11.54
    Average Total Bitrate = 11,402,070
    Average Video Bitrate = 10,759,986
    Average Audio Bitrate = 235,896
    Average Other Bitrate = 406,189
    Max GOP Size = 1,165,248 Bytes (9,321,984 bits)
    Video Frame Size (Min/Ave/Max)= 7,680 / 27,445 / 373,440

Notice size of first few frames in attached StreamParser GIF!

1080-50p-gh2.gif
    730 x 204 - 17K
  • @EOSHD

Can you check HDMI mode?
    May be it'll have some use for recording via HDMI?
  • HDMI mode was 1080/i, and image was fine on both LCD and SmallHD whilst recording.

It appears as if without HDMI monitor connected the GH2's LCD shows encoded footage (garbled) whilst with HDMI connected it is a different 1080/i feed that is shown on both screens, whilst AVCHD encoder gets the garbled information as normal.

To view settings I am using: http://www.eoshd.com/uploads/gh2hack/sete.ini
  • More tests... Pulling HDMI cord out during recording deactivates clip recording. Then when I hit record again without HDMI connection corrupt image and battery pull is required. So when HDMI monitor is connected and turned on, it does seem to override the PTools settings for 1080i -> 1080p in case of live view on both screens and put camera back in interlaced mode, apart from encoder. When not connected, encoder settings seem also to effect live view output during recording.
  • @EOSHD

Don't change any of the other settings. Just check the 1080i to 1080p setting. Leave everything else unchecked.
  • For comparison here is Sony HX9v 1080/50p AVCHD analysis (PS mode 28Mbit), though StreamParser does not recognise some information it seems :)

Stream: Max Speed = Unknown
    Mode = 1080/50pN
    PCR Timing Interval = 0.090 seconds
    Clip Time = 0:00:12.96
    Average Total Bitrate = 26,214,399
    Average Video Bitrate = 25,178,538
    Average Audio Bitrate = 282,000
    Average Other Bitrate = 753,861
    Max GOP Size = 0 Bytes (0 bits)
    Video Frame Size (Min/Ave/Max)= 268,435,455 / 0 / 0

Although StreamParser is not labelling frames or GOP, I am speculating it has much higher bitrate i-frames than the GH2 footage looking at the chart.
    hx9-avchd.gif
    891 x 586 - 29K
  • @mpgxsvcd that is how I started the test. Same results.
  • When recording with GH2's LCD closed and EVF active, with HDMI monitor connected, AVCHD is recorded without crashing and it can playback in-camera, but results are the familiar garble and bitrate is low despite settings changed to allow higher bitrates in PTools.
  • @EOSHD Are you able to record the HDMI information from your camera? (HDMI intensity-Ninja? 6-Pack of beer given to video guy at local shop that has Ninja?) In an attempt to discover if the HDMI output has the same issues as previously noticed?)
  • @mpgxsvcd

Your`re files have a maximum bitrate of 18 mb/s. watch in streamparsers "time mode" and media-info. you have to increase the bitrate in ptools.
    mts.JPG
    1156 x 682 - 163K
  • @Angry_C

The max bit rate reported by stream parser is just a number. Look at the average bit rate value and the file size and you will see that the average bit rate far exceeds the value stated for max bit rate for Stream Parser. Stream Parser is just not giving the correct value for max bit rate. The average bit rate is accurate though.