Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windows 8, let's go back in time
  • Microsoft has instituted a big change with its free Visual Studio 11 Express suite that's leaving some current- and soon-to-be Windows 8 developers up in arms: it's pulling support for creating anything but Metro-native apps. After 11 becomes the norm, desktop developers will need to either cling to Visual Studio 2010 for dear life or fork over the $500 for Visual Studio 11 Professional. Programmers won't have the option of backdoor coding, either, with both the compiler and toolchain being pulled from Windows' framework.

Usual Microsoft approach. Fuck the developers and force them to write applications lacking normal background mode, or windowed state.
    It'll take this motherfuckers 2-3 years to realise that computer is slightly different from 3-5" phone.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • No wonder why Objective-C is gaining more ground.

• No wonder why Objective-C is gaining more ground.

Objective C is gaining ground because it is language you need to write Apple mobile applications.
    And because Apple/Google PR and mass media made it look that it is to make money writing them.

In reality, all centralized application shops requiring applications signing must be totally banned and each corporation using one must be fined such amount that in next hundred years even simple idea of similar things must force them to vomit.

• Microsoft is certainly somewhat jealous when they see how much money can be skimmed from independend developers work by running an "app store", so they will try to ride the same hype, somehow.

Luckily, besides Windows, MacOS or Android, there are still free operating systems out there that are not dictated by one single company. I once liked running NetBSD, and I now like running Linux for both private and business purposes. And every developer frustrated with the one-company-OSes and their policies is sure welcome to do the same :-)

• Even after so many years I am still surprised why with any mentioning of problems with Win or MacOS people come and say - go to Linux or similar things.
    Guys, specially for you, people who work on their computer use specific applications, OS does not matter much.

• Normally in business if you have a 'tragically failing' product sometimes by upping the price creates the illusion that it is successful. Logic is that if its failing then it doesn't matter if you loose a few people with the price hike... could that be the same here... I don't think that MS needs the cash... so it must be to increase peoples respect for the product...

PS: "OS does not matter much." Except if you use OS X - because that f_cker is its own app man... :-}

• I don't think that MS needs the cash... so it must be to increase peoples respect for the product...

This thing concerns developers, and it is cerainly won't increase their respect.
    Whole idea is to force beginners and small developers to make Metro apps, as very few actually wanted to make them.