Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2+14-45mm - Moire problem even with Sedna etc
  • Pre-hack, I barely ever saw moire with my GH2 + Panny 14-45mm, but I seem to get more moire with the current hacks, inc Canis Majoris.

I mainly see the moire on the widest setting at around f5.6. It's driving me mad, but can't work out why it's doing this.

Is it the lens/hack/optical stablisation? Any hints would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to retreat to factory firmware settings!

Cheers.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Samples!

• This sample is with the Mysteron hack, panny 14-45mm (at 14mm) at f5.6. The moire is more visible on playback:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p77b1co2jvkdf18

(the above video is the original mts file rewrapped as an mp4: no re-encoding)

Please see jpg attached with the areas circled where the moire is noticeable.

Hope you can help!

Mysteron_moire_sample.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • That looks like aliasing, not moire. What were your settings? The lines you are referring to in the image are all relatively high contrast lines, which can suffer aliasing. But what can make it worse is sharpening in camera.

Some people have noted that in camera sharpening seems to be worse when using native lenses.

• besides the aliasing: nice shot. You were very lucky it was a bit hazy in the sky that day, looks proper niice!

• High contrast, strong light source, sharp edges. Recipes for digital alising.

• The settings were Smooth -2-2-2-2. Is there any practical way to minimize this aliasing? I don't want to have to defocus everytime, or resort to soft lenses.

• embrace it I would say. An 800 dollar camera has its flaws

• After seeing how bad the moire and aliasing was on the 5DMK2 and my Pentax K5 the GH2 is a revelation. Has anyone been able to confirm whether Panny lenses cause in camera sharpening to be applied regardless if sharpening is turned down to -2 in the menu? I have not had any noticeable moire or aliasing issues using the GH2 with my Pentax glass.