Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pentax hack status
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • could do with some input as i have a bricked a camera which reads as PENTAX K-M VER:0.10, but the mainboard is of k-x not k-m, having used google the mainboard of k-x and k-m are as attached files (ist is k-x second is k-m, jpeg recorded pixel reads as 14M, surely a experimental camera with k-7 sensor (being of same era, k-m is ccd and k-x/k-7 is cmos, pictures are yellow out of focus, thus not useable, i think flashing k-x firmware might help but thats not possible, thus now what, i have used ida pro hex neo notepad++, but do not know how to use frmcrypt.exe, i am on 64bit win7, neither is pk tether working, any ideas

KX.jpg
    829 x 510 - 138K
    KMvf.jpg
    800 x 530 - 285K
  • @utparesh

Get new camera, do not waste time. You can't flash another camera firmware.

• Hi Vitaliy_Kiselev, that i am aware, but the question is when updating what does the firmware read to let it know that this (firmware) would be accepted, is it in the header (does not seem so) then any idea which part does it read. any idea how to use frmcrypt.exe

• @utparesh

Just forget about any idea to upload wrong firmware, period.

• ok, but still would like to know how does frmcrypt.exe installed and used, its a command line programme, but where did it install and as what-, sys32 or sys,

ok let me then upgrade to the k-m firmware, it does not accept as the version is 0.10 and not 1.0, what do i do

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , before junking the camera just want to try frmcrypt, assist me how to use the programme. thanking you in advance.

• i attempted installation in win7 64 m/c and xp m/c, then searched frmcrypt, does not exist

• frmcrypt ?

frmcrypt pblm.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 249K
  • Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have an early demo K5IIs that's working with a K5II firmware. When I generate JPG in camera I have a lot of sharpening, a sort of added sharpening that's not needed in K5IIs. My idea was to change to the correct firmware but reading some posts I don't think it's easy. But in this case cameras are virtually identical. I tried to modify the header with an hex editor with no success. Can you help me?

• @Teknuccio

Try normal K5IIs firmware and contact Pentax in any other case. No hacks help here.

• The K5IIs firmware is not accepted by the camera. I'll try to contact Pentax, but at the end I can leave the situation as is. Thanks!

• if only could some one state which part is the code which reads the previous installed software to permit upgradation