Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • Just a simple question. Is the aperture stepless or not? In auto exposure not zooming: Do I need to go to a store to test myself?

• I'm sure we need to try because I have friends who have connections with Panasonic. Don't be pessimist, it does not get anywhere to think like that. Panasonic listen their customers. Most of the cool software features on GH4 was born thanks to the beta tester and customer.

• The problem is coming from the manufacture of the lens. Panasonic choose to privileged the photographer customer. In fact, it's a cool feature for not loosening light at any focal, but this is not good on video because we can't use it for zooming without having step-less aperture. But I'm sure if we complain a lot at Panasonic to obtain the possibility to shut down this feature, we will have the possibility to zoom with a loose of light that we can manage in post-production. What do you think about it everyone ?

• @marcan169

1. I think it is like 100 different online petitions sites.
    2. For now exactly zero petitions in photo industry resulted in something.
  • WE WEED TO COMPLAIN TO PANASONIC ALL TOGHETER TO MAKE THEM CHANGE THAT.

ARE YOU WITH ME ???

THERE IS NO SOLUTION WE CAN GET BY OURSELVES. PETITION IS THE SOLUTION FOR AN UPGRADE

• Any word on stepless aperture? Or is that something that must be implemented on camera level (read GH3..) ?

@Evero asked that question at may 2012. I checked all 19 pages. Not a word about stepless aperture. Is it really stepless in shutter priority mode like some people say?

• Would you be interest guys to do a petition for an update of this lens to Panasonic ? It's problem that can be solve by software.

• @caveport

Thanks. Can you one more time test if the aperture changes smoothly when you pan from dark to very bright in example towards sky or a lamp. Is there any "clicks" when the aperture goes smaller? Shutter priority (video menu S) and fixed iso. It is hard for me to believe the aperture changes smoothly.

Auto iso and shutter speed changes very smoothly without any steps.

• It's very good..... but not perfect. I sometimes see the exposure change slightly. It is quite smooth but perhaps a little too fast.

• One friend said that this lens can adjust aperture smoothly (auto exposure) during video recording. Can someone confirm that using S-mode (via video menu) and fixed iso the lens adjusts exposure smoothly.

Most Panasonic lenses adjusts aperture in steps making shutter priority auto looking quite bad.

Those worried about there being a dramatic difference in sharpness between the two zooms can rest easy – both perform very well throughout the zoom and aperture ranges. Neither is quite as sharp as a prime lens but the results are more than enough for most purposes.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/12/07/panasonic-12-35-vs-olympus-12-40/

zebra493.jpg
    800 x 597 - 87K

Center sharpness peaks at around f/4 at 12mm, though f/5.6 and f/8 perform is a very similar manner. As for the corners and edges, I would declare a tie between f/4 and f/5.6. Although the fastest aperture of f/2.8 is very useable in both the corners and at the center, it is noticeably softer than f/4 at 12mm.

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/11/23/panasonic-12-35mm-review/

zebra414.jpg
    800 x 563 - 77K
  • Firmware Update to Ver. 1.3

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/hs12035.html

2015/08/05
    Ver. 1.3
    Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update. (in case of the usage of Camera with this function) * Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.
  • @lpowell

i just got a like-new sigma 18-50/2.8 that i put on a gh2 body. i'm not able to use the manual assist fonction with that lens (tumb push on the back wheel). is it normal, or is it the result of using a 4/3 toM4/3 adapter, being neither the panasonic nor the olympus one?

• Folks who are sick of the glitchy Lumix12-35mm f2.8 should check out the legacy Four Thirds Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 while they can still be found on ebay. Lacks OIS but it's sharp, does glitch-free auto-focus, and is the most parfocal midrange zoom you can get for the GH2-GH4.

• I find either very slow gradual zooms or quick crash zooms work best with these types of lenses. That middle speed is where you notice this the most. will run some tests to confirm this With this particular lens.

• @Rodrigo Unless Im mistaken (which wouldnt be surprising), no.

• @joethepro Ah right. So there is no way around this with this lens then?

• @Rodrigo I want to say this is because of the focus by wire bullshit that is being used in these lenses now. I have the 14-45 and it does the same thing, if I recall. Like, I can set it in all manual mode, set it for f5.6, and zoom in/out and it has these exposure jumps every 10mm or so. Must be electrically (and poorly) compensating the aperture to maintain the constant aperture through the zoom range. I guess it is mechanically done on non focus by wire lenses which is why its so smooth.

• So I got this lens a couple of days ago and it looks fantastic. Real crisp and great zoom range (for my needs). One thing I've noticed though is that when zooming in the lens makes a clicking sound and automatically adjusts the exposure. Looking at the front of the lens I can see the aperture closing.

My camera (hacked GH2) is in manual mode and the display isn't showing any aperture changes, but it's definitely doing so.

I've tried different meter settings and different shooting modes and it seems to always do the same thing (clicking sound, aperture adjusting, and exposure changing).

I've looked through the manual and this "feature" isn't document. It only mentions something in the troubleshooting referring to the sound saying: "This is the sound of lens or aperture movement and is not a malfunction".

I did think about trying to get some kind of adaptor to cut power to the lens as it doesn't appear to do that when the camera is off.

• Hi guys, I currently have a PL 25 f1.4 and the Oly 45 1.8, was considering selling the Oly in order to get the 12-35, do you think it's a good combo? for music videos, interviews, filming at parties and doing corporate/artsy videos? Or I better keep the 45 and add something wider, like a 12mm?

• G'day folks....

Hows things?

Just picked up this 12-35 lens (which I love this far) & I am wondering of I need to update the firmware? I hope/ suspect that, as I have bought it september 2014 that this issue has been fixed?

Any light you can shed on the issue would be ace!

Cheers

Ro :-)