Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
THE NOTHERN LAND: Poetry on moving canvas (English subtitles) [GH2 Sedna]
  • Visual composition of the poem ‘It Noarderlân’ by Frisian poet Durk van der Ploeg. The poet returns to the land of his ancestors (English subtitles).

Camera : Panasonic GH2 AVC-Intra Sedna ~140mb/s Lens : Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G ED Gear : Sachtler FSB-4 75 CF, Gini Rig Follow Focus, Lilliput field monitor Tools : FCPX, Magic Bullet Looks

The poem is written by the Frisian poet Durk van der Ploeg, a dutch writer and poet. His work is mainly published in the Frisian language and he is a Knight of the Order of Oranje Nassau.

The images portrait Frisian landscape architect Siem de Vlas working in his studio and visiting the grave of the famous dutch landscape architect Lucas Pieters Roodbaard (1782 - 1851). Roodbaard laid out many English landscape gardens in major cities in the Netherlands.

The Frisian languages are a closely related group of Germanic languages, spoken by about 500,000 members of Frisian ethnic groups, who live on the southern fringes of the North Sea in the Netherlands and Germany. The Frisian languages are the second closest living languages to English, after Scots.

Concept, Camera, Editing : Richard van der Laan Poem writer : Durk van der Ploeg Poem reading : Siem de Vlas

I hope you enjoy watching..

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Video isn't loading - interested in watching this once it is.

• Strange.. The video should load. Maybe a temp vimeo problem.. Anyone else with these problems?

• With all due respect, I don't like the changing framing too much. It's all a matter of taste but in my humble opinion the heavy grading doesn't fit to the subject either.

• Nice looking shots, but I find the fast cutting distracting when trying to read the poetry sub-titles.

• I like it. Re the subtitles, there's a general convention that you should be able to read them three times before they disappear. You will find that any subtitles look right if you do that. In this case, it would be nice to have them fade in and out rather than come in and disappear suddenly.

I would have preferred an "uncontrasty" look personally, but hey, it's great that you did this, otherwise we'd never have seen it!

• PS Love your "Factory" video.

• Hi Mark and others,

Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly improve the subtitles. The audio has a lot of background noise. It will also be improved or recorded with better equipment. I will keep you guys posted.

PS The "Factory" video was recorded with my previous cam. A Canon HFS-100.

• I just uploaded an improved version of the video.

In this video the subtitling is improved (spotting, readability and typos) And I replaced the audio with sound designed by my friend Maarten. He did a great job in eliminating the background noise and added a great ambient sound.

You should definitely check it out! :)

• Nicely done @richardwouter i like it all the way...

• Thanks mozes!

• @richardwouter Wow - that's really nice. Lovely to watch! Thank you for posting it. I like the new subtitles and the audio works so well now. Cheers!

• @richardwouter Nice work images are soo.. crisp did you use 5DtoRGB to transcode, or internally in FCPX?

• Thanks @TrackZillas I imported the original media in FCPX. As far as I know FCPX wraps the original media in a QT container. For editing I use proxy media. For rendering FCPX uses the original imported media.

• Featured on http://www.LondonPoetrySystems.com as August's 2012 video poem. Featured on http://friesfilmarchief.nl

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters