Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zylight LED fresnel light
  • Interview with charlie Collias of Zylight about their new LED fresnel. I think what's really noteworthy about this new unit is that it really seems to be an effective workhorse fresnel, but it's not a big bulky housing- it accordions down to a pretty low profile in full flood for packing and moving. The accordion design struck me as both innovative and intelligent. This unit also has a nice hard-edged shadow on the beam; it gets away from the mushy multi-shadow thing that is such a hallmark of LEDs. Remote controllable, daylight balanced, battery-powerable, this light looks like it may rise above the new pack of LED fresnels. An associate of mine at B&H was predicting this one to be a big seller once it's in wide release. Downsides? Regular tungsten fresnels are still pretty cheap to buy and rent. Until Electricity and replacement bulb prices rise up a whole lot more, I don't think there will be a wholesale adoption of this unit by the general rental house market. It's a little pricey still compared to tungsten, about 2400$ for a unit that compares outputwise to a 650w fresnel. Being daylight balanced, though, it compares favorably to the small HMIs on the market, especially when you take the replacement bulb costs into account. Overall, I think this light will be a winner for smaller productions where the production company or DP owns a lot of the gear themself. It's portability and versatility appealed to me for that market.

Tom Guiney