Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @kronstadt The RAW recording mode is 444. Recording to ProRes is 442.

@kazuo I think we can only wait and see for now. I think it's probably too much to expect perfection at this price point. Regardless it's still going to be pushing boundaries.

• @kronstadt

Check the BM FAQ (same FAQ link on top) concerning all this 4:4:4 stuff :-)

The RAW recording mode is 444.

It is wrong to write this, as raw can't be 4:4:4, 4:2:0 or anything else, it is just raw.

• @kronstadt

3 options: Raw CinemaDNG, DNxHD 4:2:2, Prores 4:2:2

Raw isn't in a color space until you put it in one, and if you'd like to put it in a 4:4:4 space, then you can. Choice is up to you.

EDIT: Yep. check FAQ haha

• @kazuo

So what happens to the rest of us who have ZF glass and mounts of all other kinds?

Hmm. A nice set of ZFs would be ideal actually (think Duclos cine-mod).

• Or the rokinons cine lenses .. announced but not released

• You only will get true 4:4:4 from a 3chip cam, not from a bayer single chip. If we separate each color out of the single 2.5k resolution, BMCC will delivery, practically speaking, something in between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 in 1080p. But we are talking about 12bit here, that's very good.

Bayer sensor need to oversample the resolution in order to recovery the color when downscale. That's why cameras like epic and alexa shoots in higher resolution than they intend to display. BMCC is a 2.5k cam intended to a final 1080p, like the alexa, epic shoots 5k to be fine in 4k (or even less).

• Hang on now.. Wouldn't it be possible to make an projection adapter similar to the Letus ones for this camera? (If so, I'm pretty sure it will come)..

• I don't know if I can bring myself to EVER use a 35mm adapter again, lol (used to love my DVX100A and SGpro). But I'm sure someone will do it. I've even seen footage where someone did it with the GH2.

• anybody wanna buy my Redrock M2?

• Funny that, I decided to keep my Letus adaptor so one day I can show the grandkids how we used to shoot the 35mm look in the 'old days'.. I will put it along side my LP record collection...

• Just got an update from Markertek where I'm the first one in line. They just charged my account and told me to expect it in my hands late next week or early the following week.

• @Brian202020

Good news. We'll be waiting for your early reports.

• I just called again to verify and the second guy just told me It'll ship soon. Not sure what's happening anymore. They did charge my account tho, so I'm optimistic.

• I talked to them today and they said it was a glitch that sent out "your card was declined" emails. They also said they don't have the cameras yet, but expect them to arrive the 27th.

• @yeehaanow Yes I know this was the case with several people over on BMCUSER as well, but my case is different because they actually charged me. Not sure what that means?

• @Brian202020: Thats awesome! Congrats Brian. Look forward to your feedback.

• I'm optimistic.

• You guys are starting to rustle my jimmies, too much excitement. Hope I'm part of this potential first wave in July.

• It's quite funny how 25 years ago a 'Fanny' was the only thing that would prickle my excitement, 25 years on and now I am getting a 'tingle in the groin' in anticipation of the BMC arrival (the fanny since healed over and departed).. but it appears I am not the only sic puppy here LOL !!!!!!

• So the money was refunded back to my account last night as some point, Not sure what that means or what is going on.

• Did Jannard buy BM? :D

sorry to hear that @Brian202020

• I know this is off topic, but I think it's funny how just a few years ago Jannard was the under dog to root for, now it seems he has reached the ranks of Panasonic or Sony and people like to root against him.

Ok back to the topics regularly scheduled programing.

• Yeah, Jim Jannard makes good cameras, but man is he a jerk. I'm surprised a millionaire has so much time to argue with his customers online.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions