Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Panasonic Pro cameras and AF100 50p/60p software upgrade
  • 82 Replies sorted by
  • 4K ? without hardware upgrade ?

Due to design, AF100 could never produce 4K.

• @VK "I told one year ago that best solution is close down Pro department completely (but keep engineers staff) and start from scratch removing all managment."

I think we will see Pro departments sold off to other companies, its going to be a hard market to be in if you are a huge electronic manufacturer. I will not be surprised if sony and panasonic sell off their pro video camera business in 5 years. ( they will still make consumer cameras )

• As an AF100 owner, I'm happy that there is an upgrade at last. And the price isn't too outrageous. It extends the useful life of this camera, and offers a little more versatility. Sure, we can be disappointed it doesn't offer more, but overall, it's adequate for its market segment. And we always have the GH2 for special situations where HBR is needed.

I just wish they offered a 1:1 magnification on the EVF for focus assist.... :-(

• just wish they offered a 1:1 magnification on the EVF for focus assist

First. they declared that this is totally impossible long time ago :-)
    Second. They could be saving something for NAB 2013. Focus assist for only extra $400!

• Since they are offering 1080/60p as an upgrade for the AF100, would it be too much to ask they might be thinking of a software upgrade for the GH2 to do the same, to sell a few more GH2's before the GH3 comes out?

• Its great news to have AF100 software upgrade and at the same time it is a proof that the machine could most likely do a more than it currently does... pity.

And its a shame they are selling the upgrade... not the best way to show respect for their customers. But I guess I just have to swallow my pride and purhase it.

If only they had the wisdom to give Vitaliy a call and open the software for him and the development team... I know.. dream on :)

And yes we have the GH2. I like both machines very much. Great tools. They help me do my job and both are great in their own rights.

• @johnnymossville

Won't happen.
    AF100 could do 1080p50/p60 from the start (but in weird overcranking mode).

• Someone wrote the following of microP2 cards:

"This is something I quizzed them about, and no, MicroP2 are not essentially SD cards. They're fully implemented P2 cards that happen to use the same form factor as SD. They have the same raided internal architecture, the same advanced error correction, the same ridiculously high write speeds, the same microprocessor controller, all that stuff.

It's going to be confusing for sure, and I wonder just how many times we'll see people repeating this same line -- "oh, it's just an SD card". They may have made a brilliant move here, or they may have opened themselves up to a can of worms, we'll see how the market reacts.

The main thing that MicroP2 does is eliminate the need for a P2 reader for many/most users, as they could be read and offloaded in an SD card slot. And it provides the potential for using SD cards in an existing P2 camera, although only up to 50mbps. And, and this is fun, if I understood this correctly, it turns all the existing AVCCAM cameras into P2 cameras, because you could use a MicroP2 in an SD card slot. Not 100% sure about this, I'll have to clarify with them, but for those of us who appreciate P2 speed and reliability more than we care about SDHC's low price, this may be a way to get P2 advantages in existing SD cameras. But you wouldn't get the 10-bit AVC-Intra codecs, so it's not like it's the same as if it was designed to be a P2 camera in the first place, but ... well, it's a step, at least."

Does anyone know if he's right about using MicroP2 in an SD card slot?

• I am actually happy with the whole situation. this extends the life of my amazing af100. And I think we will have a more worthy version of the af100 next year. We would like a new version to support the new avc ultra..which isn't available until next year anyway. And it sounds like it'll be a micro p2 shooter with the option of using regular sd cards also. Although, it sounds like the micro limits itself to the intra 200. which is great hd but no internal 4k..

• @everyone... @VK is 100% correct... This is total disaster... Made 1000x worse by Black Magic Cinema Camera. Which is a AF100 killer, (more like executioner).

Sorry this is the truth... As for SD cards that aren't SD cards... C'mon! SDD already.

• @alcomposer

I don't think BM is AF100 killer :-) They are very different.

• Once the dust settles after the next Xmas season, I expect used AF100 prices to drop below $2000, including the new firmware upgrade. The 1080p24/25/30/50/60 modes and built-in XLR 's will make them useful for synced sound recording, along with the variable speed capabilities for slo-mo effects. The main advantage, of course, is the compatibility with your GH2 lenses collection, plus there's an AF100 remote control available that works on Lumix lenses. There's also something to be said for its clean 4:2:2 8-bit HDMI/SDI out, which I think makes it a decent camera for under $2K.

• I don't understand. Why couldn't they just make a new AF200 using the same sensor as a new GH2 or 3? From what i've read the only issues seems to be the sensor and not so much the features of the camera. Why would they need to wait til next year in order to update the sensor, which i'm sure they already have developed better sensor tech?

They've already seen what the competition is offering and what the people want. Better latitude and highlight handling. 10bit 4:2:2 at least. Maybe make it a little better form factor for handling. Just doesn't seem like that heavy of a lift.

• @Aria

Broadcast division usually have long products life due to very small amounts sold (relative to any consumer product), they need to cover all costs.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev that seems to me to be a MAJOR failure of a company to adapt to the changes of the market place. The days of being able to have long product cycles are over. Steve Jobs pretty much said that if you're afraid to cannibalize you're own products, that someone else will. It seems like we've all watched the slow creep of response from the big 4 and now they've opened themselves up to being attacked by the smaller and faster to respond to user needs, small companies.

By the time they come out with a new camera in today's fast paced DSLR market, it may already be obsolete. The AF100 is not really a product that should've been stuck in the conventions of the old Broadcast Div. thinking.

• @lpowell Sound like a good plan. I think 2K consumer HDTV will be with us for very long time, and AF100 would be a bargain under $2K. BTW I heard it supports 8-bit 4:2:2 over hdmi/sdi.

• I think a lot of us were really hoping for an AF200 at NAB this year, and it is disappointing that it isn't there. The decreasing prices on AF100 models is nice for people that want the camera but do not have one yet, but does nothing to help current owners.

The firmware upgrade might have seemed attractive, if the bitrate were significantly higher. Since it is compressing 1080 50 or 60P into less space than almost every single setting used on a hacked GH2 on this site, it seems a lot less exciting.

Panasonic has made a lot of good moves in the past and I hope they will in the future as well. But there really is no way to look at this other than a big missed opportunity for Panasonic. Here is hoping they fare better in the fall.

• I know I am coming to this discussion a week late .....but only just found this site now - I have read other posts - and having just purchased AF100 (although in UK) and trying to understand how to get the best out of it I am wondering why you wouldn't (other than cost) simply add an atomos recorder or similar recorder to get the higher bitrae out of the af100? I am currently considering this route myself....though I am also stressing a bit that I should have bought the Sony FS100 or the Canon 5d MKiii as it seems the quality of the AF100 might not be up to the same level for similar money.....(you can only read so many reviews before taking the plunge and I managed to read the positive AF100 reviews and miss some stuff on the FS100, 5DMkiii was not available at that time)

• Without the AF100, it would be impossible for me to work with the GH2. Buying the AF100 gave me the opportunity to get enough benefit in 4 month to pay back my 2 x GH2, my AF100 and soon, my set of lenses. With the GH2 only, no client or production company would have taken me seriously on a paid job. The camera is too small and not well known in my location. Without the AF100, I might be forced to work with other tools (such as my old HVX200 + Letus, a Canon 5D or a HPX250) who are too different than the GH2 world and workflow. I love my GH1 and GH2, thanks to the amazing job of Vitaly and the community surrounding him, but I also have no regret on investing on the AF100, as all of my beloved set of camera became useful on my job. In between, I cannot use Paypal (I am liivng in China and get no International account or Credit cards), is there any other way for donation? Thanks

• wait.. I understand correctly? It's a pay-for-firmware? oh god.. this is their idea of fidelization? feels better donating here..

• Here's something many of us have been waiting for.

EDIT: Looks look we have to keep waiting. Apparently, the factory jumped the gun on making the software available for download, because the 25 digit code is only sold in a kit which won't be available (according to a variety of channels) until June 30. It's available for pre-order from B&H at $250.

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/soft/upgaf100_e.htm

Here is some of the release information. Note this is a PAID upgrade.

1080 50p/60p upgrade software key for AG-AF100 series (paid option)

The following functions are added.

Optional Function

New “PS” mode (maximum 28Mbps), supporting “AVCHD Progressive” standard, records high-quality Full HD progressive signals (1080/60p* and 1080/50p).

*Actually 59.94Hz

Safety-zone “2.39:1” aspect-ratio marker display (on View finder, LCD and Output*).

*VIDEO_OSD ON

[STEP1] Update the software of AG-AF100 series to version 1.23 or higher.

[STEP2] Issue / retrieval of the activation code(s)

Register the “25-digit key code” which comes with “1080 50p/60p upgrade software key (AG-SFU100)” and the “equipment profile” exported from the AG-AF100 series unit on the “product activation code website” to retrieve the activation code(s).

• @ahbleza

Can you tell in details how it is activated?

Just entering code in camera?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I wish it was so simple. :-) There are four steps.

Step 1. Download firmware, and upgrade on SD card via menu to version 1.23. This can be done without any purchase, and gives a new feature in the OSD for 2.39:1 framing.

Step 2. After the firmware upgrade, there is a new menu option called "Activate", which has three choices:

a) Export Product Serial -- this writes a serial number onto SD card

b) Import Activation Code -- this is used when you get special code from web site

c) Activation List -- shows which features are activated.

Step 3. This step requires the purchase of a 25 digit code, which comes with the software upgrade kit and a new manual. This is currently not available until June 30, and will cost $250. After purchasing the code, you have to visit the Panasonic web site, where you enter the 25 digit code, and upload the file exported in Step 2.

Step 4. Step 3 gives a special Activation Code (not the same as the 25 digit code from Step 3.) You write this code onto SD card, and use the AF100 menu option "Import Activation Code" to enable the 1080p60 feature.

• Sounds like something to be investigated..