Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
NAB 2012 coverage
  • 46 Replies sorted by
  • This looks interesting.

• NAB has been so amazing. My first time. I amazed by the organization. Anyway, after 1 1/2 years of learning and using dSLR, getting the bodies, lenses and learning software, i decided to go to the Conference because i am now looking at accessories. That was my goal. I'll just summarize what i discovered in my own informal unusual way. Hope this helps someone. I'm an indie-guy, oneman show with a bang4buck approach with looking at gear.

KESSLER: It seemed like this year, alot of companies are releasing new sliders. Including Glidetrack (48" smallest one though), JAG35(probably available in 2 months), and others. I checked them all out including the moderately priced Konovas. My conclusion with where i will go is Kessler. They have a new Hybrid 'Fusion' model they displayed at the show. I think the feel and quality of the Pocket Dolly is worth the extra money. I don't know, checking out the others, the feel/worksmanship bothered me when comparing to the PD. Anyway, that was my conclusion. Bang4buck doesn't mean you spend the least to me. Its worth the extra on this.

SONY: They had the biggest presence with all their Cams, TVs, Remote Systems, etc, etc. Amazing to check out the FS700. Its a thing of beauty and everyone was obviously excited about it. I couldn't really get find too much info on any upgraded firmware for the FS100. But, i really am impressed with what they are doing.

CANON: I checked out the C500...and that was the only thing i was interested from them. They had a big presence and presentations from their photographers and filmmakers.

PANNY: Very nice layout. Very impressive. Just no real news except their upgraded firmware and AVC-ULTRA direction. They had all their TVs and other products. Pretty Awesome.

BLACKMAGIC: Wow, just blown away with their new 2.5K cam. Its the best form-factor i've ever seen. The simplistic approach is really appealing. Its so appealing to have super light cam like this that is so powerful when you go out in the desert or natural landscapes/wilderness. IT seems like this surprised everyone.

Here's a couple pics. Will upload more later.

http://photos.jamesthorpe.com/Other/NAB/22528857_RwpLD9#!i=1802528190&k=w2cpGx3

• seems like there were a lot more forum members there than we thought?... Miles of footage of lots of cool stuff that I need to edit and post here.

Some of the coolest: LED remote-phosphor technology- in the PRG booth. it's like the dome of an LED has been expanded into a sheet, and what you get is a really bright flat source, with much better color than a lot of the LEDs I saw. They had three new units. Really bright, really good-looking. These are lights that go on stands, not on-camera. I'll edit and post that as soon as I can.

Optimus all-in-one rig system- It's one box that's a handheld rig, a slider, a table dolly, and a bunch of other things, all in one rig.

Lots of other stuff. blackmagic 2.5k, duh, but I didnt get over there since everyone else did.

plasma lights: like HMIs, but much more efficient.

• Awesome news on the GoPro stuff, just ordered one and a backpack LCD for a project at work today not even seeing this news, now I'm even more happy!

• I am untricking this topic as NAB already passed and is not so actual.

• One more about GoPro

• This is important new LED technology on display at NAB. Remote Phosphor technology is much brighter with much better CRI than traditional LEDs, but still retains all the same advantages, such as low power consumption and battery-powerability. We'll be seeing this around a lot more soon.

• I have stuff on the D-Focus and a few other things.... Here's the Cinematics one.

• Nice work re9d.

• Here's Ryan from Ikan running us through their "Elements" line of rigs. It's hard to break new ground in the dslr rigs field; one thing that stood out a bit that I liked is that their counterweight pouch can be used as a cargo carrier, filled with whatever you want. It all seemed like solid well-made stuff, if not necessarily groundbreaking. I did like that you can bolt things together using allen bolts and tools, even though that makes things take longer to do. I like it because a hallmark of dlsr rod rigs is that stuff wiggles around eventually.

• Tom, you totally ruined that dude's high by asking him all those questions