Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
D7 and D5 monitors from ikan
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • You "always" want a monitor calibrated to rec709. It's the scopes you don't want a transform on.

Most pro monitors are rec709 for broadcast/film evaluation.

Having a wider viewing gamut won't save your shot...

Meaning if your image is clipped when viewing through a rec709 transform its going to be clipped.

I hope this makes sense.

Look at a Sony BVM oled for instance.

• Which doesn't necessarily mean this monitor is any better or worse, but viewing space is almost always rec709, so when you send a log signal to it you are still seeing a flat image, unless you provide a viewing lut transform.

Sounds like you want a smallHD dp7 though. This thing has all kinds of lut and viewing space control.

• Ok. I do get that but if you're shooting RAW and want to use your monitor for all the scopes, you're screwed. Everything will be off. And I am going to disagree with the clipping statement. If my image is clipped in 709 it is not close to being clipped in RAW. So that's an incorrect statement. I know this as a fact from my past shoot. My D5W showed clipping all over the place and over exposure and Kholi told me not to worry because we weren't near clipping and we were shooting in ProRes, not even RAW. I'll look into the dp7 though. Think Odyssey might be the only "affordable" solution here.

• Were you monitoring in BMD film or BMD Video Gamut? I would actually contend that it's the "fault" of the camera showing you what's clipped and not clipped, not a fault of the monitor. As far as color accuracy and gamut, if you have a monitor calibrated to Rec709, and you feed it a Log or "film gamut" signal and the viewing image is clipped, then likely it's clipped in the camera, if not, then the camera needs to do a better job of representing what is clipped and not clipped out of it's SDI port. I know this is a lot to try to understand, but like, putting a convergent design Oddyssey, or even a $30k monitor on a camera that is sending out just one "interpretation" of the raw via a gamut transform, and there is actually more information in the raw than what you see is not the fault of the monitor, or won't be solved by using a different monitor. Does that make sense?

• Two updates here.

1. I had no idea what I was talking about before and the monitor actually performs very well.
    2. I had some problems with the screen and it developing some white spots on it. Sent it back to Ikan for them to have a look, as well as get a firmware update and they replaced the screen for free! Said sometimes it happens but not as bad as mine though. Great customer service. If you can afford it, sometimes it pays.....to pay more :)