Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
5.6" 1280x800 on camera monitor with peaking, aka H056
  • 344 Replies sorted by
  • Hey I got mine two, with insane shipping speed! 4 days delivered to my door in France from Hong-kong (no special fees, I think it was fedex). Haven't had the chance to shoot that much with it but I must say I'm impressed. I can't compare with other monitors, but build quality seems more than fine to me too! The screen looks great, and the peaking works pretty well, allthough its not all that necessary since you can clearly see. It does facilitate things if you have to "live" pull focus very often though. Color wise I think I need to calibrate it a little though, the shadows seem boosted somehow. Dark areas might seem a little grayer than they should (compared to the gh2 screen) but I'm pretty sure it's tweakable. All around its bright and the resolution is very nice. Sunshade is pretty nice too, some kind of false leather but it seems sturdy and since its not rigid theres no way to break it. One thing that's a down side (not really) is that the fixing points on top and underneath of monitor get covered by the sunshade which have access holes for them. Which means that you can't remove or put the sunshade on without unscrewing the monitor of the ballhead. But you can just leave it on.

• Thanks @sakattaq76. The website that you bought if from, did it come with the sunshade cover and power?

• @HillTop1, arrived with leather like sunshade, a power supply and a Sony L series (FP970-770-570) battery base. On other countries customs fee usually never exceed 25% of cost, but in Greece we have such public services that overcomes the total cost of the monitor. The customs employee fee to make the arrangements was 150 $ plus taxes made the total cost around 230 $ extra. After I denied to accept the package, the seller was kind enough to refund 120 $ to receive the monitor. So I did. Even with the extra cost the monitor is still worth it. There is a roumor that DHL has done a secret agreement with the customs office to gain some percentage of the taxes, but I can't be sure!

• On other countries customs fee usually never exceed 25% of cost

In some countries customs fee almost never exceed 0% :-) I live in one.

• So I used this monitor the weekend that just passed on a 48 hour film festival. Normally the Canon 1080i video monitoring feed that comes out of the Canon DSLRS gives pillar-boxing. After applying the Magic Lantern software add-on I could choose to force 480p through HDMI under display tab of ML menus. Not ideal for focus but somewhat desirable when you have a director next to you who shouldn't need to wait 3-4 seconds on the HDMI output switch ala rez drop-down after record. Time kills performance and energy of actors, though we had brilliant talent whom entertained themselves throughout; even in the martini shot of a bed scene.

C-stand was used to rig Canon DSLR using 15mm Rods above bed with monitor drooped down to eye level. Very much impressed with mobility and rigidness of 60D which the AF-100 would be too dodgy and heavy to rig similarly.

• @SuryA I've got one of these on order, i would be very interested to see if it is possible to have a universal calibrated setting that will work on the GH2. Not sure whether it would differ from screen to screen and camera to camera?

• Does the resolution drop to 480p after hitting record button with GH2?

• Not that I know of, I have tested it with Panasonic AF-100 and it retains its 1080i monitoring during recording. It's that sweet Panny magic ^_^. Pretty sure the GH2 is the same.

• Just received this monitor. In the auction it was called the H005, but the one I got was the H056. It does have peaking though. Can anyone confirm that they can get a 16/9 image, as mine seems to be vertically stretched to the 1280x800 pixels without letter-boxing?

Is it possible the firmware could be updated through the usb port? This monitor would make an amazing addition to everyone's gh2 setups if a few features could be added. (more guide marks, pixel to pixel etc) It's got an almost retina display image, lightweight and cheap.

• circle is oval. there is a 4/3 mode or what it apparently calls a 16/9 mode, no others.

circle.jpg
    1071 x 800 - 67K
  • Off the top of my head: I think I read the "FUN" button changes the aspect ratio (and no I am not kidding).

• Fun button, can be set to 'blue only' or a few guideline masks. The 16by9 / 4by3 button changes the aspect ratio which seems to only be 16/10 and 4/3

• How right you are about the Fun button.

Jon2323 are you saying that the monitor (H056) you got cannot properly display a 16:9 image? ie: display that circle as a circle?

• @CFreak Yes mate, see my image above. I want to find out if anyone else has this problem. It doesn't seem to letterbox the image, just stretch it upwards to 16/10.

• p.s. i think Fun is short for Function

• @SightfulProd, @sakattaq76, @SuryA is any of you guys having the same problem that @Jon2323 is describing where he says it doesn't seem to letterbox the image, just stretch it upwards to 16/10? Thanks.

• From memory, I don't remember seeing any letterboxes; it fills the display.

• @HillTop1, unfortunately the guys are right. Image is stretched to fill the 16/10 ratio. I personally use the monitor for framing and focus, so it doesn't bothers me. I also have the on board monitor of the GH2 turned on. I made a test yesterday powering the GH2 and the monitor with a single fake Sony FP770 battery. Pressed REC with sanity 5 and made a recording time before GH2 shuts off, about 2.5 hours. Not Bad.

• @sakattaq76 Do you know if there is a 1:1 pixel zoom mode? One of the thing that irks me, is the GH2's inability to focus assist zoom while outputting to HDMI.

My current Lilliput 5DII-O-P does it, but it takes an age to engage and disengage the mode, which makes me almost not bother using it.

• but it takes an age to engage and disengage the mode, which makes me almost not bother using it.

Best one here is Ruige with their clicky remote button.

• @itimjim. It is disappointing that there is no zoom option or 1:1 pixel. Also the GH2 focus zooming doesn't work when HDMI is connected. But you can pull focus via the high resolution monitor easily. Much better than the liliput 5DII.

• Yeah no zoom, but between the resolution and the peaking, there's not that much need for it. I mean it's still better on its own than the gh2 screen+zoom.

It does stretch the image, I hardly noticed it quite frankly although when I did, I did have a "oh f*" moment, then realized it really isn't a problem. At least not for me.

• @SuryA "I mean it's still better on its own than the gh2 screen+zoom."

Is it that good it can enable as critical focus as the GH2 focus assist at max? I find that hard to believe....but want to :)

• I didn't even realise that you could adjust the focus assist. What I tried is doing a few direct focus pulls with the monitor and compared with the focus assist ad hunt a bit on the gh2 to confirm, it seemed as good to me. Surely zooming has to be more accurate but it's so unpractical and monitor plus peaking works very well.

• The zoom-in focus check on the GH2 is all well and good when your camera and subject are static, but because it doesn't work while recording, it becomes very hard to adjust focus on the move without it. A high-resolution LCD gives you a way to see focus all the time, especially while recording.