Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Varavon Loupe EX GH1/GH2 , reviews, impressons
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • I am interested in this Loupe but really have to see it first hand to see if the low res LCD magnified bugs me or not.

Anyone that has one (Feha?) would it be possible to peek inside the eye piece and see what the screen looks like?

My main purpose for using this would be focus. I guess I might just have to take a leap before the deal is over (if it isn't already).

• I have one. through the loupe the GH1 LCD it is certainly pixelated. You can focus once you get used to it... but it isn't the panacea that you might think by reading some of the reviews. It certainly doesn't produce pixels :)

• thanks Jules, That is what I thought but the rave reviews seemed like a real night and day difference for focusing. I'd wondered if magnifying the pixels would make it look much worse and be even more distracting.

• @RatLabProductions, as @jules said it is pixelated even on GH2 but perhaps less than GH1 as it depends from LCD resolution. But it helps much more than viewing the "bare" LCD. This is in no way EVF replacement, but is much better than some cheap loupes, uses better optics.

• ok thanks for the feedback feha

• @ratlabproductions here's some sample pics. but i don't think it will be too helpful but here goes. https://plus.google.com/photos/115531352452573112063/albums/5737973455791974577

• @ipcmlr thanks those were actually very helpful. The pixels didn't look as magnified as I had feared. thanks

• those pics look way better than real life with my GH1!

• I really like it. In fact I hooked mine on before I'd even powered up the GH2.

Sure it shows up the poor resolution of the LCD, but that's to be expected. It helps with focusing, and it adds another point of contact for handheld shots.

Aesthetically it makes your kit look more professional. That is actually important as many, many people don't "get" the idea of using a DSLR on a shoot. Shove one of these on, the GH2 looks less like a DSLR and more like a camcorder.

You can never underestimate the importance of looking professional when working with new clients.

• i tend to not give a shit what people think, but i understand your point. Think @chainsawfilms's second paragraph sums it up well

• I just got mine and so far....it's great. It does tip the balance left but I have an adjustable bracket to attach the QR plate. That will balance it. Money well spent especially after using a Hoodman on the 7D.

• Be careful never to leave the loupe on with the lens pointed toward the sun. Melted a little hole into the bezel of my LCD! Thank god it still works fine.

• Seems people really are liking this. I sure hope a personal-view deal comes back as I didn't have cash at the time of the last one. Even to just focus in bright light this thing looks well worth it (at around the deal price not B&H price)

• Just wanted to reiterate, how important it is to be careful with the loupe while out in the sun. After a few seconds it WILL start melting your LCD if it's pointed at all towards the sun. So far I've been lucky - it's melted the bezel of my LCD pretty badly, but it hasn't damaged the screen itself.

• @Sangye , thank you, thats important point. It would be great if there is a lens lock for viewfinder ... This may happen even with GH2 own view finder ...

• @Sangye I'm putting a baby sock on it. I use them on the GoPro's so I have a bunch of them.

• Now I just always make sure to flip up the loupe anytime I'm not using it, so it's never focused on the LCD. But in the flipped up position, it points at my follow focus gear... I hope it won't melt that next!

• I have probably used more viewfinder loupes than anyone on this forum: 4 in total including the Varavon, and I hope to stay with this one.

Of all, i find the varavon to be the most hardy in build and design. And all that rubbish about pixelation, am not sure what the user was looking at, or through which tinted glass. I have shot many projects, but the most recent one with the varavon, I find, had the sharpest images. The loupe made it easy for me to find the focus in all the shots, it wasn't always the case with the other brands.

• Hi, I received mine last week. Thanks Vitaly and Varavon. Just yesterday I was trying it out and yes, it's excellent. Varavon seems like a passionate co. and it is nice to see specialty products built for this little wonder.

• Now lets have another deal! (says the guy who missed the last one)

• guys, can't decide... which one do you think is better, Varavon Screen Loupe EX Uni or LCDVF 16/9 Viewfinder? Thanks!

• @brudney , if you intend to use it with unfolded LCD than go for Uni as this can work with GH2, GF2 etc ...

• feha-> did you mean folded aka closed aka lcd NOT sticking out? i'm confused here;)

• Just ordered the Varavon EX. Can't wait to try it out.

• @brudney , i mean "closed" ... but it all depends, for my rig configuration i bought the GH2 version, not Uni, but in some situations i wish i had Uni version too ...