Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus OM-1 camera, last of its kind

Specs

• 20.4mp 4/3 Stacked BSI Live MOS Sensor million
    • Built-in 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization
    • Eye-level OLED electronic viewfinder, approx. 5.76M dots
    • 3" vari-angle monitor (electrostatic capacitance touch panel), Approx.1.62M dots (3:2)
    • Video recording format
      • MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)
        • 4096 x 2160 (C4K): 60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 202Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 102Mbps)
        • 3840 x 2160 (4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 202Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 102Mbps)
        • 1920 x 1080 (FHD):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 52Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (Approx. 202Mbps), LongGOP (Approx. 27Mbps)
      • MOV (HEVC/H.265)
        • 4096 x 2160 (C4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 152Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 77Mbps)
        • 3840 x 2160 (4K):60p, 50p / LongGOP (Approx. 152Mbps)30p, 25p, 24p / LongGOP (Approx. 77Mbps)
        • 1920 x 1080 (FHD):60p, 50p / ALL-I (Approx. 162Mbps) , LongGOP (Approx. 42Mbps) 30p, 25p, 24p / ALL-I (Approx. 82Mbps) , LongGOP (Approx. 22Mbp
    • USB Type-C connector
    • Micro HDMI (type D) connector
    • Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth Ver.4.2
    • 3.5mm stereo mini jack
    • BLX-1 Li-ion batter
    • Dual Card Slots
      • Slot 1: SD, SDHC (UHS-I / II), SDXC(UHS-I / II)
      • Slot 2: SD, SDHC (UHS-I / II), SDXC(UHS-I / II)
    • 134.8 x 91.6 x 72.7mm
    • 599g (CIPA standards, with 1x BLX-1 battery and 1 memory card, without eyecup)
    • 511g (Body only)
    • $2199 for body
    • $2799 for kit with 12-40mm F2.8 lens
    • Preorders
    sa19379.jpg
    695 x 567 - 49K
    sa19380.jpg
    709 x 469 - 36K
    sa19381.jpg
    697 x 551 - 47K
    sa19382.jpg
    712 x 511 - 41K
    sa19394.jpg
    731 x 509 - 63K
  • 23 Replies sorted by
  • It's amazing how many cameras look like the G7 now.

• This Camera is shit

• Looks like an E-M1 X and a E-M1 MK III drink a little too much and go to the bedroom without condoms. :)

• Nice looking cam, really decent specs. I'm surprised they pulled it off, after reading Vitaliy's doom and gloom I was ready for a total letdown.

• Internal ND filters up to ND64!

• @LongJohnSilver

Internal ND filters up to ND64!

Not for video!?

• Articles on camera

Initial guess is that camera won't be mass produced and that Olympus can soon announce move similar to Pentax brand, that they will make small batches upon requests and for online sales.

• Review and full-size sample images (including RAW that can be edited in both ACR and LR):

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/om-system-om-1/om-system-om-1A.HTM

• After they got that USB-C PD input for internal charging they now "charge" you USD200 for separate charger and one extra battery. Or USD140 for the stand alone charger which again only takes a USB-C input. The markup must be insane on that device.

• But micro HDMI is so 2019.

OM_1_12bitproresraw.png
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • Photo Dynamic Range

sa19524.jpg
    800 x 538 - 50K
  • Look at the Raw and there's no appreciabl[e] difference in noise between the OM-1 and E-M1 III, which is in-line with what we've seen in previous BSI and Stacked CMOS sensors. It's worth noting, though, that the OM-1 keeps up with the older camera's highest ISOs, which is impressive, as this is where we'd expect its more complex design (with four photodiodes per output pixel) to start to count against it. It's not a 2 stop improvement though, even in in terms of JPEG performance. [...] In terms of dynamic range, it's a similar story. If you brighten an ISO 200 image to the same level as an ISO 1600 shot, there's no appreciable difference in noise.

• There’s not a big difference in detail levels between the OM-1 and the E-M1 III at low ISOs, though the OM-1’s JPEG engine appears to render fine detail a little better. At higher ISOs the newer camera appears to preserve detail rather better, and gives a rather larger-grained appearance to the noise in areas without detail.

• Olympus OM-1 AF Tracking in Video

• Andrey Zhukov - February 16, 2022

The amazing world of globalization we live in. We were waiting for a new camera from Olympus (OMDS), and we got an actually new drap from Sony with Olympus design and support of the legendary M43 optics????Overall, it's a great camera, wherever you look. Technologically, qualitatively and in general - a giant step forward. Sony layered matrix (no one makes them anymore)

The processor and, apparently, the entire motherboard (precisely, the power system with PD at 27v) are from Sony. They even gave a name to the processor with the traditional letter X for Sony. The new BLX-1 battery, dimensions, weight and capacity perfectly matches the current "mirrorless" battery Sony NP-FZ100

The OM-1 operating system and menu are nothing much like Sony's new menu - one-in-one, including hints, some icons, location of items on-screen and in the video finder. Straight from A1, A7S3, A7M4???? And even the updated branded software for PC from OMDS - now it looks like software from Sony before mixing.

But, we have been familiar with the features of this hardware platform and the capabilities of layered matrices for almost 2 years. We know that they can roughly add with firmware. We know, by the way, how functional Sony's own camera parts can now look.

In general, it is easier to make reviews on a well-known platform. And the fact that OMDS has found the most effective way to save money is great. Yes, Zuiko's perfect optics now got a more powerful platform. Sounds like a win-win-win. And that some identity of Olympus cameras would be lost after the business was sold out was more than likely—and not so scary at all, given the technological capabilities of Sony's "big red sister" platforms. The wonderful new world is already here. We are waiting for a response from Panasonic - what will happen to the platform and, most importantly, with the autofocus of the guys?

I'm looking forward to both new products for tests. I miss the micra, and here it is filled with familiar technologies - wow, what tests await us!

All news and announcements on the PHOTOGRAPHY channel: t.me/ruphototg