Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GHx/Gx/GFx/GXx questions and suggestions
  • 65 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza just because i would like the functionality of just doing it in camara, with no screwing on off focusing difficulties etc.... however unless someone tells me otherwise this will be my work around.... thanks for the reply

• Reduced ISO would be more convenient than ND filters since my ND filter only fits one of my lenses and I have not wanted to carry a stash of adapters or more lenses in my backpack. I shoot 3D and have to carry double of everything as it is!

• @edwardm exactly it would be convenient and no colour cast issues etc :) so tell me guys is it possible? also nd filters are expensive especially 77mm ones!!! i would just really benifit from this if it could be achieved ...

• nd filters are expensive especially 77mm ones!!!

It is not true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JYC-77mm-Neutral-Density-ND4-Filter-/270957014195

$20 per one 77mm filter (you need three as set).

JYC are best from entry level NDs, if you have more , Marumi DHG are very high regarded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marumi-77mm-Digital-DHG-Light-Control-8-ND8-Neutral-Density-77-ND-Filter-Japan-/

• Sorry for posting this in the wrong section. As I know that Vitaliy, you have already read this, ill get more to the point. First of all, this is not an idea that I came up with. I'm sharing what Walt shared. So I'm curious if the team (aka Vitaliy) have thought about ETC mode as a possibility to get more resolution from the GH2. Perhaps 2520x1080. As ETC mode takes the RAW 1920x1080 out of the middle of the sensor and dishes that to the encoder, logically it seems that it MIGHT not be AS difficult to extend the amount of the sensor that ETC mode reads and translate that into raw resolution in the encoder. The patch makers seem to have such command of the encoder now, it gives me hope this might be possible.

Mainly just throwing the idea out in case it hadn't been specifically thought of this way before.

• @blazer003

It is bunch of fantasies that sticked in one head :-)

In reality, it is almots impossible to change sensor modes (as you need complete documentation). And H.264 encoder and all other things are pretty hard wired at resolutions that we have.

• I know this is nothing easy or even possible to do. But I would love a feature for makro focus stacking. Press the shutter button once, and the camera moves the focus point from near to far in X steps and takes X pictures in between.

• I should be getting my GX1 in a couple of days. B&H for $519 with 12-42 lens and free shipping....such a deal. I love my GF1 and can't wait to start trying the GX1. Anxious for the GX1 hack too. Keep up the good work.

• Hi guys i am new to this community. Last week i bought the GH2 with 14/42 mm lens. I am happy with the camera and added a hack to it, and left the hdc-sd800 (panasonic camcorder) aside for now.

I'd like to know if any future implemention of 2k or 4k resolution is possible in the 24p video modus on the GH2. Maybe with a certain lens?

Pictures raise to 4976 x 2800 so maybe a new hack can also do this within the video? Correct me if i am wrong, i just want to know if it is possible. It is all about raising up the quality level on the GH2.

Thanks

(moved topic)

• I'd like to know if any future implemention of 2k or 4k resolution is possible in the 24p video modus on the GH2.

First, it is impossible, I think.

Second, why do you need it at all?

• In the near future we get 2k and 4k tv's, high likely also replacements for bluray with a higher capacity disc.

Since the GH2 is hacked and can do 176 mb/s recording, it is near the same bitrate 2k/4k video's use. I was just wondering if any tweak was possible to use a higher resolution than 1080p for this bitrate. Certainly things look even better and sharper, just like the pictures the GH2 can take.

I want to get the best out of the GH2, that's why i feel it's needed ;)

I agree with you that it might be impossible with the current hardware and avchd codec in the camera. But i heard stuff about the AVC Ultra codec. If something like that could be implemented, wouldn't that be great.

Maybe it is just to soon to ask because it is all future related.

• Hi,

I'd like to develop the stills features of the Panasonic GH2, but this doesn't seem to have received much attention so far from what I can find.

For example, I'd like to:

• Add some more options to the exposure bracketing list (feels like this should be relatively easy)

• Add some sort of "focus bracketing" (maybe more difficult)

• Look at introducing "expose to the right" metering (could be a challenge :) )

My questions:

1. Has anyone else done any work on this, or are there any existing patches? (If so, a pointer would be great)

2. Do we know if these should be possible?

3. If I have to "do it myself", can anyone provide me with a starting point?

Many thanks Andrew

• Could you please tell me if Hacked/Not hacked GF2s have a MJPEG mode 24/25p or they shoot only 30p in MJPEG?

• I hate my GF2, and thought of replacing it with the newer and more expensive GX1 now that the hack is coming.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com :

GF2 - "horizontal sharpness of 500 lw/ph and vertical sharpness of 525 lw/ph"

GX1 - "500 lw/ph x 450 lw/ph"

G3 - "600 lw/ph x 600 lw/ph "

Does anyone here have a GX1 to confirm that it's really that bad?

• Last time I checked http://www.camcorderinfo.com was quite bad. Their reviews are usually closely related who are their sponsors :-) As for sharpness - you need proper measure and not a single meaningless number.

• Would it be possible for the hack to allow the remote port on the gx1 to be use for microphone input too like with the gh2? Thanks and keep up the awesome work.

• Would it be possible for the hack to allow the remote port on the gx1 to be use for microphone input too like with the gh2?

Of course not. It is impossible as it lacks hardware for this.

• Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a hardware restriction or Panasonic limiting features for different cameras.

• Thank you Vitaliy for all your job... I think you really understood the needed about manual iso mode for the GF2... As we can't enhance the light with ND filters.., we can't predict the moment during a scene the sensor of light of gf2 will decide to change the iso by himself.... Maybe it woold be easy to find the changing value of hight or low exposure that changes the exposure, lock it then control it or replace it by tactil touch ;) ?

• GH2: not sure if this has been requested, but would it be possible to alter the exposure "spread" in a bracketed photo? For example, I would like an exposure bracket option for 3 photos across 4EV (-2,0,+2).

• Hi Vitaliy, is it possible to get 24p on the G3?

• Hi Vitaliy, is it possible to get 24p on the G3?

Nope, sensor do not have such mode. Encoder is very similar and have all required for 24p, but no such sensor mode.

• @v10tdi

It had been requested many times, and I spent quite a time understanding how it works.

Unfortunately we now do not know how some values are passed to lower level code, and we need to know this if we want to change this behaviour.

• hi Vitaliy,

Is it possible to change the language of a Japan version of gx1 which has only japanese language? thanks!

• @magicboyguccino

Of course. Just use PTool.