Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaly is everytime right, ok ? :-)

Yep, he is right if he is not wrong.

• @babypanda Vitaly is everytime right, ok ? :-)

• Is it safe to suggest that you don't like this camera very much?

LOL. Go back and spend some time. My posts here started from facts and statements about real release date estimation (that was accurate in result).

All else are just result of finished product.

• @Vitaliy, sorry I don't fully understand what is involved in purchasing a camera via kickstarter.

Is it safe to suggest that you don't like this camera very much? And is one of the main reasons the fact that it came about through kickstarter? Sorry, the few posts of yours on this thread that I recall reading all seem to be negative, so I'd like to understand why you seem to dislike this camera so much.

• @babypanda

All three points are not valid, >90% of the time people have no idea about actual similar products and competition, underestimate risks, and absolutely do not give a fuck about support. All they want is get some advertised, exclusive, new, amazing, etc, etc thing. Btw this is why Kickstarted specially tell that they are not shop - because otherwise different laws and approaches must be used that will kill all this chutzpah.

• Btw Kickstarter projects with long delivery times and meaningless frequent updates show one of the basic methods of attaching people - make them invested by their time, money and emotions. Later it'll be almost impossible to change their mind."

Yeah but if someone invests in Kickstarter,

1. they've done an ample amount of research first.
    2. they realize that there is some risk involved and
    3. they believe in the project and actually want to support it. So why should they want to change their mind unless what the manufacturers deliver is total crap and none of the promises about what they were going to deliver were kept?
  • This would be an amazing thing if it was somewhere in 400-600$ range, no XLR's, no Raw or anything, just plain simple Bolex. Only digital."

It amazes me that people with so much expertise on this forum can make comments like this. What can you get nowadays for 400-600$? A consumer camcorder whose technology has hardly changed in 10 years? They created a new product that doesn't really exist from any other manufacturer and is groundbreaking in many respects. That doesn't give them the right to charge a little extra? It's arguable whether the camera is even over-priced and I certainly am no expert on pricing, but to suggest it should retail for 400-600 seems ridiculous to me, considering you get consumer camcorder crap for that price. The sony CX900 is 1500$ - no RAW, no XLR. Still think your comment is fair?

• invested in another camera and need to justify that the choice was not inferior?

Btw Kickstarter projects with long delivery times and meaningless frequent updates show one of the basic methods of attaching people - make them invested by their time, money and emotions. Later it'll be almost impossible to change their mind.

• I just don't get it when people hate on a small company that REALLY is working hard, earnestly in my opinion, on a product they believe in."

envy? invested in another camera and need to justify that the choice was not inferior? prejudice based on emotional attachment to other gear owned?

• @jpbturbo Yep-using bladerunner soundtrack to shoot someone shaking their ass while being filmed with a hipster camera....should be illegal...it's definitely immoral.... and blasphemy against one of my favorite films. Girl was pretty good looking though and footage itself was decent - they seemed to capture the 16mm look. Not my cup of tea visually.

Mr.Reid...If you're listening, don't do that again please. It's bad form to take a classic and use it like that.

• Frank Sauer and Voldemort, got a shot at using the D16:

Vangelis soundtrack deserves better.

Incidentally the first gh1 footage I saw was some clips of Shibuya at night with the same soundtrack.

• Shocker! Another new camera from DB hipsters team, approximate release date is April 2016.

will be showing a new camera that we’ll announce on Monday the 7th!

http://www.digitalbolex.com/upcoming-events/

• Shaky ass micro jitters that hurt my eyes.

They should lead with a seizure warning... just horrible.

• SO much of this early footage reminds me of all the Pocket Cams early footage. Shaky ass micro jitters that hurt my eyes. Obviously this is not a handheld camera, just like the Pocket without OIS of some sort.

• Frank Sauer and Voldemort, got a shot at using the D16:

• Probably should add to that, if white balance is also slightly out, I've seen pink or green in the blown hi lights when trying to put back down. I've not seen that in CMOS cameras I've owned.

• @Rambo Hmmm, never really saw that on my HVX200 but I guess when I saw they were blown, they were blown! :) So it seems many people are just exposing and grading wrong eh?

• The pink comes from overexposing highlights on a CCD sensor when captured and then pulled down in post. I see this on my HMC150 ( CCD) when I've accidentally blown highlights on some clips.

• pink highlights is most likely a workflow issue. I got it a lot with ProRes/Quicktime coming from RED Raw …

I love the global shutter and the texture of the pixel matrix or how ever you would call it. The fringing is a real pain though!

• Sort of Pepto Bismol look on the whites, very strange.

• Most examples I have seen to date do not impress me. For the money it costs and the specialty nature of this camera it really needs to look a LOT better.

• Gotta be just a firmware thing. Like the problems with Pocket Cam had when it came out. I'm sure it has to be fixable. If not that is not good!

• What the heck gives with the Pink Highlights?

WeirdPinkBolex.jpg
    995 x 681 - 338K
    WeirdPinkBolex2.jpg
    1008 x 673 - 390K
  • Here you go:

• @soundgh2 You should do a little more research. BM cameras are sprouting up as B and C cams to Alexas everywhere. Sure, it's under the radar but it's happening. McDonalds just made a national commercial with the Pocket cam and I've been on a movie for theatrical release using the Pocket as A cam on 75% of the shoot. Just because you aren't seeing it doesn't mean it's not happening. Hollywood Camera is renting the shit out of their Pocket for features as well.