Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Glidecam HD-4000 stabilizer usage with HDSLRs
  • im borrowing a gh2 and fs-100 for a project where i need a stabilizer that can handle the individual weight of both cams. will be using a longer zeiss lense so gh2 set up is a bit heavier than the typical stock setup. should i get a lighter rig for them (hd2ooo) or something like the hd4ooo? the gh2 config weighs in @ 3.5lbs (lens + base plate w/camera). anyone used the hd4000 extensively with smaller dslrs? if so, please share your experiences. thanks

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I haven't used the Glidecam HD4000, but it has a payload of 4-10 lbs, which may be problematic with the GH2. I've read that the HD1000 is a better fit for the GH2 than the HD4000. You might look into the Camera Motion Research Blackbird stabilizer, which supports between 1-8 pounds and gets great reviews. The Blackbird would likely provide support for all of your cameras without any performance trade-offs, whereas the HD4000 may be less than ideal for the GH2 (though adding a cage could help).

Blackbird kits retail for $675, but I just won a barely used model on eBay for $400. The stabilizer can also be purchased without the kit for $470. My kit's still en route, so I can't give my own impressions yet. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684655-REG/Camera_Motion_Research_2050A_Blackbird_Camera_Stabilizer_Kit.html

• @aprioir thanks for the comments. i think i might try the unit you mention.

• I have HD4000 and HD1000 as well... HD4000 is overkill for DSLR

BTW, forget about these merlin type stabilizers for serious usage with FS100.. I wouldn't use them even with DSLR's.. you can't controll these stabilizers as much as one would like to... just my 2 cents

• I use the 4000 Pro (traded from the 2000 Pro) and I really need the extra weight threshold. However that's because I use heavy lenses (Lomo cine primes) and want to use my camera on a rig on it, which makes it heavier.

I don't have a vest, but an arm-brace, which is a REAL life-saver, the improvement from just holding it in your hand is BIG and while it's not a vest, it makes it way smoother.