Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How to :Shoot, Print, And Frame A Massive Peter Lik Style Photograph On A Budget
  • Aye thought i would share this i just found, looks awesome and like a for project for a gift, of home-style art for friends.

Text taken from Fstoppers great site to follow, got a lot of good info : http://fstoppers.com

If you have seen Peter Lik’s work in person then you understand that it’s impossible to put into words the look and quality of his prints. Peter’s photography (and his post production) is fantastic, but what really makes his work stand out is his printing and presentation. If his images were printed on standard photo paper at a standard size, his work would not have the same “wow” factor. Right before a trip to Italy I went back into Peter’s studio for a little inspiration. After studying his work and speaking with a sales rep about his printing process I decided to shoot, print, and frame a shot in Italy for the absolute cheapest price without losing the “wow” factor that Peter’s work has. This is how I did it.

Today it is so easy to stitch images together that you could shoot a picture like this with practically any camera with manual control and the more images you take, the more megapixels the final prodcut will be. Don’t think that you have to have some ultra expensive camera to get quality images. I went to Italy with only 1 camera (D7000) and 1 lens (Sigma 17-50mm). If I had brought a longer lens I could have zoomed in more and taken even more pictures for a higher megapixel image but I was so far away (and I could only zoom to 50mm) so only 3 images fit. 3, 16mp images combined into one made for one ultra sharp image though.

The metallic print from BayPhoto.com really did look like it was printed on metal and it definitely has that “backlit” look that people say Lik’s work has. The print in the video can not come close to the way that it actually looks in person. As I said at the end of the video, this paper looks fantastic but it is so reflective it has to be perfectly flat to look it’s best. I would highly suggest bringing your print to a professional, getting them to mount it on gatorboard and then using the mirror for something else (it actually is a really nice mirror). I hope you guys enjoyed this video. It is very different than our other stuff but we thought we would give it a try. We are really ramping up our video production and in the near future we hope to bring you an original video each week. .

Paper to look for at your local photo developer is to get the look is :

Kodak Metallic paper or Fuji Pearl

Post comments on what you think, and if you have done this, your experiences good or bad : ^^

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for sharing this money saving idea... Al

• This sounds a bit like Cibachrome in quality. Cibrachrome was a really wonderful quality reversal printing process which i dabbled with back in the 1980s, and was a whole level above any conventional paper. It had a beautiful reflective quality, not quite like a mirror but it did have a pearlescent metal-ish base layer, with transparent colours over it. Cibachrome had amazing clear colours and they keep looking good forever. Cibachrome is no longer used, alas, but the print in the vimeo video looks amazing - and i would love to see it in real life.

It also got me started exploring what is available, and there's some amazing stuff out there - printing on metal, acrylic etc.

• could very well be a spin of from what your talking about to modern thinking

• Not to be a negative, but this looks nothing like Peter Lik's work mounted. When he turns it at the very end you see warping in the image. A true adhesion to the plexi or glass is the only way, and VERY few people know or can do it.