Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HDR Video
  • I don't like how most typical hdr photos look, but controlling how much you blend in the hdr controls is still manually controllable so that you don't have to end up with that typical electrocuted hdr look that most photographers seem to end up with if you don't want to and know where you should stop when dialing in the mixture.

This example seems to be what the near future of hdr video will be like, a non typical hdr look, but still having an slight hdr type of gain in dynamic range that is subtle enough to still look natural. It is from an epic hdrx camera.

http://blog.localheropost.com/main/2011/6/3/red-epic-hdrx-test-examples.html

"The Epic sensor without HDRx is already in the 11 to 13 stop range, depending on who you ask. With HDRx, however, you get an entirely separate exposure, 2 to 6 stops darker than your original capture...."

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I am all for dynamic range. I think it is the most unrated feature by most but which contribute as much as sharpness etc. I was thinking about a beam splitter system like the 3D rig with 2 gh2 aligned. It would be cumbersome as you would need everything in two. You would also need system to drive both lenses like birger for example to focus etc. But you could get a much better dynamic range like the example above. The hardest part would be to get a firmware upgrade to be able to sync two cameras
  • Interesting other approach:

• I simply don't know who'd be interested in such a bulls**t?!?
    The results of any HDR is always weirdy artificial, can't be used even on music videos.
    Also, the same effect can be reached with Unsharp Mask or "Shadows and Highlights" fx in AE.
  • >I simply don't know who'd be interested in such a bulls**t?!?

Video tells who will be interested.
    And belive me, many such companies exist.
    I am also interested in very big dynamic range.

>The results of any HDR is always weirdy artificial, can't be used even on music videos.

They are not.
    Even simplest case - shooting with window in frame frequently require using toning film on window with normal cameras.
    So, even normal guys will use this without problem.
    Artifical look emerge if you compress all DR to DR of monitor.
    No one prevents you to use smarter ways.

>Also, the same effect can be reached with Unsharp Mask or "Shadows and Highlights" fx in AE.

Such dynamic range? Are you ok?
  • "I simply don't know who'd be interested in such a bulls**t?!?....the same effect can be reached with Unsharp Mask or "Shadows and Highlights" fx in AE. "

Please do explain how the Epic Hdrx dynamic range gains are "bullshit" and "can be reached with unsharp mask and shadows and highlights". I think I will find your answer very interesting.

• Did you use two cameras at the same time? If yes, horizontally or vertically aligned? Did you use a beam splitter?

I presume it works better in wide angle, right?

I wonder if GH1 and GH2 can achieve the look.
  • >I wonder if GH1 and GH2 can achieve the look.

Its not a 'look' its a high dynamic range, with which you can then create the look you want. It gives you much more freedom when grading footage as... well.. you have a high dynamic range in your image to work with. To have a completely linear (as in light) workflow in video would be a very, very good thing
  • If the GH1 shoots 60fps at 720, and we only need 24fps....is it possible that some of those extra frames can be recorded at a higher ISO so they can be combined later? Ok now that I've typed it....yeah it does seem impossible...and you'd have to create a new pulldown method to remove the HDR frames.

So could somebody just confirm the impossibility so I can move on. :)
  • Toshiba CMOS sensor with on-chip High Dynamic Range video mode, in single-frame HDR implementation.

Single-frame HDR allows video capturing at faster frame rates than multi-frame HDR. Toshiba offers image sensors that support a fast frame rate of up to 60 fps at full-HD resolution. Long exposures can blur moving objects. To address this problem, Toshiba's HDR composes lines capturing with short and long exposure times into a single frame. This approach helps reduce motion blur that is typically produced as a result of HDR composition and provide a smooth video.

Toshiba single-frame HDR-video captured with different exposure times every two lines alternately

Since single-frame HDR uses different exposure times for different lines of a frame, it generally has a lower resolution in the vertical direction. To improve vertical resolution, Toshiba's single-frame HDR incorporates various innovations according to target applications and resolution requirements. http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/product/sensor/cmos/hdr/index.html

• I like the "artifical extreme HDR" look But I also like it "normal," Both types of HDR look can be used in various different ways.

If I was to make a real estate video for a house on the beach or anywhere for this matter, a normal type of HDR is perfect.

A music video or trippy drug scene from a movie would be awesome using the "electric HDR" lol

I think some of the "NewBlue FX" are trying to simulate the extreme HDR look, but obviously this would work better or worse depending on what you shot with 8bit/10/Raw

• My favorite media player software "mpv" recently gained the ability to replay HDR videos on non-HDR displays, look for HDR and st2084 in the documentation.

If you want to try it, download some sample file, then play on some ordinary bt.709 capable display with e.g.:

mpv -fs -vo opengl-hq:target-brightness=600:target-prim=bt.709:hdr-tone-mapping=linear:tone-mapping-param=16.6 Sony_4K_HDR_Camp.mp4