Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FX9 Camcorder
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Atomos released AtomOS 10.42 firmware update for the Shogun 7, it enables capturing RAW output from the Sony FX9 (and the XDCA-FX9 extension unit) and allows saving it in 12-bit ProRes RAW at up to DCI 4Kp60, or up to DCI 2Kp180 continuous.

• Firmware update, ver. 2.1

• Quad full UHD 120p RAW output via the XDCA-FX9, which is a piece of hardware that's sold separate ($2499 USD). You'll Atomos Ninja V+ Pro Kit. If you own an FX6, you can output RAW via the Ninja V+ without any additional hardware.
    • Adjusting the white balance has been improved.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/support-resources/pxw-fx9/software

• PXW-FX9 V3.00 Firmware

Refer to the Release Notes for details.

• Added imager scan mode selection options
    • S700 protocol is supported via Ethernet
    • Auto focus function improvements
    • Status screen function improvements
    • Camera ID + Reel# format file naming is supported
    • De-squeeze display in the viewfinder is supported
    • Simple SDR viewfinder display is supported when shooting in HDR
    • Extended proxy file metadata information
    • Recording and chunk file transfer of proxy files is supported
    • Simple C3 Portal connection using C3 Portal App

https://pro.sony/en_GB/support-resources/pxw-fx9/software/00271849

• I've made no secret of my disdain for Sony sensors or my love for RED cameras and footage. I'm currently working on a project that was shot with both a Red Dragon and an FX9, by the same DP, same operator, and when they told me most of the footage was shot with the FX9, I groaned. Especially when I saw the very processed look they were going for. (I should mention that my current process relies heavily on monkeying with the footage's camera settings in Resolve, and when i saw the Sony adjustment options I was not hopeful that i could easily get the look they were going for the way I had done for them in the past with their RED footage...)

I was dead wrong. I'm in love with this camera AND Sony's MXF format. The amount of control I have in post is amazing, and how far I can bend the image before breaking is jaw dropping. Now every time I come to a scene shot on the RED, I groan, cuz the process on the R3d files is not as nimble or as quick as the MXF to get astounding results. What i can do with skin tone and skin detail (mid-tone detail) vs the RED is kinda mind blowing.

I can't post before and after images here yet, as the project is still in post, and will be released this X-mas season, but I will try to later... Just chiming in to say: Sony has completely won me over.

Just wow.