Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Mac Pro - meet new toaster with exorbitant price
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @davedv

when Steve Jobs requested the circuit board layout of some of the early prototypes be changed since it was not aesthetically pleasing

Looking at modern motherboards where huge money go into design and RGBN things - he had been just too much ahead of everyone else :-)

• @Vitally_Kiselev - yes, but you have to build it yourself, and it will run Windows. When I retired from IT support, I vowed never to run Windows on my own computer again. If you want to buy, not build, a computer at this level that is capable of running several streams at once in your NLE without proxies, you will spend this kins of money. If you buy Dell or HP, the manufacturer will reluctantly support it (I know because I formerly worked in a major manufacturer's support center), but not at the level that Apple does. I know you can't stand Apple, but there is a reason that a significant minority of users are willing to pay the premium go get out of that Windows hassle.

• @4CardsMan

If you want to buy, not build, a computer at this level that is capable of running several streams at once in your NLE without proxies, you will spend this kins of money.

I am little stuck. If you do not want to build it yourself - find local firm that will get parts and will build PC for you and will provide it ready to run. Why it must be HP or Dell? This guys use cheap overseas firms to do same thing. All their "support" is provided by some Indian third party.

If you so want multiple 8K Red raw streams just put 3-4 2080 Ti cards in it, they'll still be cheaper than Apple solution and useful for all else also. Contrary to custom Afterburner that will be also very expensive and useless for other tasks, such design is really horrible for NLE as you need useless transfers from Afterburner to GPU and back.

I know you can't stand Apple, but there is a reason that a significant minority of users are willing to pay the premium go get out of that Windows hassle.

I have no issues with any brands. I can't stand bullshit and huge margins.