Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ricoh Theta Z1 360 Camera

Specs

• Two 1.0-inch 6720 x 3360 back-illuminated CMOS devices with about 20 million effective pixels
    • Highly Accurate 360° Image Stitching
    • Multi-level diaphragm mechanism is installed, F value can be selected from 3 levels of F2.1, F3.5, F5.6
    • High resolution 360 ° still image equivalent to about 23 million pixels
    • 360° Live Streaming in 4K or 2K
    • 19GB of Internal Memory
    • A 360 ° movie shooting at 30fps at 3840 × 1920 pixels corresponding to 4 K size
    • High dynamic shake correction
    • Electronic shutter can reach 1/25000
    • ISO 6400 highest sensitivity
    • Built-in 4-channel microphone supporting 360 ° spatial audio recording in the camera body
    • 0.93 type organic EL panel displaying shooting information at the bottom of the main unit
    • Supports RAW file format
    • Built-in large capacity memory of about 19 GB
    • Still image resolution: [RAW] 7296 × 3648 pixels, [JPEG] 6720 × 3360 pixels
    • Edit with Lightroom Classic CC & Plug-In
    • THETA+ Android App
    • Size: 48 x 132.5 x 29.7 mm (excluding the lens part, the depth is 24 mm)
    • Weight: 182 g
    • Scheduled Release Date: Late March, 2019
    • $999
    sa7121.jpg
    347 x 534 - 18K
    sa7122.jpg
    289 x 534 - 14K
    sa7123.jpg
    337 x 537 - 18K
    sa7201.jpg
    353 x 500 - 16K
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • Theta Z1 Stitcher tutorial

• Firmware v2.00.1

• Bug fixes
    • For still image shooting of RICOH THETA Z1, it is now possible to select the options "Noise reduction", "HDR composition", and "Handheld HDR" even when RAW (DNG) + JPEG is selected. This makes it possible to take images with less noise. If "HDR composition" and "Handheld HDR" are selected, RAW (DNG) files with a wide dynamic range can be recorded.
  • The original Theta Z1 cost $1,000 when it launched, and the new 51GB version doesn’t stray too far from that, asking just a bit more at $1,050. It should be available from select retails and online in late May.

Announced officially.

• There will be a new Ricoh Theta Z1 released on March 25, says Nokishita . The new Theta Z1 will supposedly have 51GB internal storage capacity. It is substantial increase from the current version’s 19GB capacity.

• Voice Activated Capture

A plug-in that allows you to shoot still images by voice recognition. If you start the plug-in and say "YES", you can release the shutter without pressing any buttons. Only still image shooting is supported.

Morphing

• Ricoh released the official plug-in "Persons Detection & Counting" for the "RICOH THETA Z1" and "RICOH THETA V" 360-degree cameras.

A plug-in that can detect the number of people present on a 360-degree image taken with THETA and automatically post names and the number of people on Twitter, Google Docs, etc.. It is useful for notifying the congestion status of restaurants and recording the number of participants in the event.

• We've got Ricoh Z1 nearly 3 months ago (from a well known German shop). I don't do it often but its time to share my experience with this one.

This camera is my biggest waste of money ever. I choose Z1 over 2 other cheaper competition models because its longer on market and it should have more stable firmware and better customer support than the chinese one.All above were very wrong assumptions! First about support: I know its Corona virus time but for over 2 months from emailing Ricoh customer support to all possible addresses around internet with simple questions about Z1 there is no any help at all.

Ricoh Europe - no reply at all from any emails!

Ricoh USA - sent me link to same third party looking website with the suggestion that there are same good information there. Not even trying to help with the issue! Well at least they replayed!

Ricoh on FB was the only answering (every few day) Ricoh person... it tried to pass me support contact details ... None of them works till today however.

Camera issues in bullet points: 1. Wifi disconnects all the time. With no reason I can't get it to work longer than minutes even within 1 meter distance from the camera.

1. When II manage to switch wifi Off (to not drain battery as it is useless anyway) when you activate plugin and use camera manually WIFI gets ON and drains battery but is can't be use when Plugins are in use even if it works

2. There is no regular manual or PDF available at all for Z1. Instead there is online "guid" where you have to click back and forward going in a circle (i'm too old for that time wasting form) Obvious basic general instruction there but not really simple information like: the difference between green and what blue color lights on front and side of the unit.. How to be sure and recognize: when wifi is Off is ON and when is searching and how to be sure its properly connected you need to play with it to find out and it's more fun when Screen is too small to see the wifi icon all the time and you need to press buttons which may do other things instead of showing you wifi status...

Conclusion: When Camera works it may produce good photos especially when used with third party plugins. It drains battery very quickly especially with wifi ON which cant be used nor disable in my unit. If you need support it does not exist. Wifi disconnecting makes this unit useless to me.

In short it is the most frustrating thing for the money spent.. ever.

I can't use it and will never even look on Ricoh again.

This one is collecting dust on my shelf and it will remind me about this.

• On Theta Stitcher v2

• New firmware, version 1.31.1

• Added "REMOTE CONTROL" as a new pre-installed plug-in
    • Bug fixes
  • Dual Fisheye plugin by Yoichi Hirota

• Ricoh Co., Ltd. released the “Smart Device” plug-in that can be used with the 360-degree camera “RICOH THETA” series at the RICOH THETA plug-in store.

A plug-in that allows you to control the RICOH THETA series by talking to devices with Amazon Alexa. You can shoot still images and movies automatically.

In addition, by linking with the File Cloud Upload V2 plug-in (published), you can upload the shot images to Google Drive sequentially.

In addition, the version of the basic app "THETA for iOS" has also been updated. The update contents can display shooting information such as shutter speed and ISO sensitivity, and bug fixes.

• New firmware improves stabilization

• Spatial audio