Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft Windows Next Plan and Core OS
  • Microsoft plans concerning next Windows OS (based on publications and talks with 3 people I know inside Microsoft):

• OS as service with monthly payments (will be activated with first update!)
    • Some of OS basic features will require additional monthly fee (video player that allows to play video not from large paid providers ala Netflix, for example)
    • Experience similar to Chrome OS and iOS for iPad (closer to new MacOS that will be based on iOS)
    • Microsoft spells it at meetings - "OS for consumers, not creators!", OS will be extremely simplified.
    • Integration of largest news services and ads with push messaging and login screen, paid option to disable it.
    • Execution of Win32/64 software only in isolated containers, focus on gaming apps
    • Make it maximally hard to use non gaming applications not from Microsoft Store, you will see 10 second delay and big warning window each time
    • Plan to add most present system and similar utilities into Windows Defender list, so it could remove them automatically (reason will be "bad user experience, dangerous behavior, Win32.Tool"). Same as Microsoft now doing with KMS activators and hacking tools.
    • Windows Store as one and only source for applications for many Windows editions
    • Price of Windows that will allow another sources of apps will cost around 10x more to all OEMs
    • Further price hike for higher end editions/feature packs but introduction of special private price agreements, so big corporations will even save
    • Microsoft will participate in special coordinated plan with Google, where non store apps will be called "dangerous" and placed very far in search results by Google after OS release
    • My sources told that we will see unprecedented rollout campaign and attack on 3rd party apps made by medium and small companies, each big corporation making software will take part in it. For example, BM and Adobe will have right to prevent signing of any video editing application for new OS. It will be called "industry self regulation and preventing dangerous and extremist activity" program.
    • Microsoft will have special tools and web page to report applications (ala Google now) to call off their signing, such app will stop working instantly on all connected computers (won't work in corporate editions).
    • Microsoft will widen present secret collaboration and piracy prevention plan. Windows 10 for now collect and send information (including all location info and sometimes screenshots) to select Microsoft partners if you install any illegal license or such. New OS will make such plan widely open and corporations will get lot of options if they detect suspicious behavior. Including recording realtime screen and camera video feeds (on all consumer editions). Partners will have tools to remotely wipe out all illegal and extremist software (via Defender to make it look nicer) and also delete and transfer any data that had been accessed or made using it.
    • Consumer Windows 10 support will end abruptly and you will get big warning page with request to perform free upgrade. At Google page and on all major news corporations sites you will see big warning to perform update if you did not do it still. On each reboot you will be also demanded to make upgrade.
    • Extreme internal tracking and spy abilities, components will be cross checking themselves to not allow disabling some of this features. OS will record all typing and mouse, all programs run, all sites visited and more. Information will be sold during closed online auctions to other big corporations ala Amazon. It won't contain your name or personal details, but each user will have unique identifier and OS will have special AI cloud based features to detect if you use any other computer and all tracking will change identifier to yours instantly. Microsoft source told that both Microsoft and Google now need around 5-25 minutes to identify new user if you have normal activity.
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • Bad news. Not clear how to avoid all this crap.

• If they attempt the majority of this, they will lose the entire enthusiast community and we'll finally start seeing an enormous shift to Linux. For someone like me with something like 10 computers, having to pay a monthly fee for the 5-6 that run Windows would be a non-starter (especially if virtual machines need to be individually licensed since then I'd be at closer to 12). At that point, I'd probably end up with one or two Windows virtual machines to run software that requires it and I'd shift everything else to Linux.

• If they attempt the majority of this, they will lose the entire enthusiast community

Windows 10 constantly increasing spying and full change of updates approach did not do a dime in this.

For simple consumer editions monthly payment will be really small and they will use same approach like Adobe did. First it'll be free for like 6 months or even year as you buy new computer and after initial release. Next it'll be like $0.99 a month and it'll ramp up very slowly, very.

we'll finally start seeing an enormous shift to Linux.

No, we won't.

For someone like me with something like 10 computers, having to pay a monthly fee for the 5-6 that run Windows would be a non-starter (especially if virtual machines need to be individually licensed since then I'd be at closer to 12).

You are part of 1-3% small niche.

Linux current existence resides on corporations willing to make and release drivers. It can change and it will.

You extremely underestimate position where we are all at. All this will coincide with extreme witch hunt assisted by big media and Goggle. So anyone spreading bad info will be blamed extremist and his site certificate will be confiscated (by Google, Microsoft and Apple who already have working model for this).

• So we are leaping from the Global Village concept (witch never really happened) to the Global Correctional Facility in about three years.

• From recent reports

New products and services, including those that incorporate or utilize artificial intelligence and machine learning, can raise new or exacerbate existing ethical, technological, legal, and other challenges, which may negatively affect our brands and demand for our products and services and adversely affect our revenues and operating results.

Google

AI algorithms may be flawed. Datasets may be insufficient or contain biased information. Inappropriate or controversial data practices by Microsoft or others could impair the acceptance of AI solutions. These deficiencies could undermine the decisions, predictions, or analysis AI applications produce, subjecting us to competitive harm, legal liability, and brand or reputational harm. Some AI scenarios present ethical issues. If we enable or offer AI solutions that are controversial because of their impact on human rights, privacy, employment, or other social issues, we may experience brand or reputational harm.

Microsoft

• @RoadsidePicnic Nice name - I watched STALKER the other night and consider it one of the greatest movies of all time. I'll have to read the novel sometime.

• Last September, we announced Windows Virtual Desktop and began a private preview. Since then, we’ve been hard at work developing the ability to scale and deliver a true multi-session Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus virtual desktop and app experience on any device.

Today, we move to the next phase and announce the public preview of Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktop. Now, all customers can access this service—the only service that delivers simplified management, a multi-session Windows 10 experience, optimizations for Office 365 ProPlus, and support for Windows Server Remote Desktop Services (RDS) desktops and apps. With Windows Virtual Desktop, you can deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes and enjoy built-in security.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2019/03/21/windows-virtual-desktop-public-preview/

• More leaks slowly happen considering Core OS also known WCOS (Windows Cloud OS).

As I said, it will be cloud based OS with total tracking and monthly payments.

Developing is going as planned.

sa12385.jpg
    748 x 421 - 38K
  • So is this all they will offer (consumer/cloud OS), they will get rid of (creator)/Professional? I haven't followed this at all so it is news to me.

What containment strategy do you guys envision? I will begin by segregating my use of legacy (win32) apps, and move as much as possible to cloud apps, so I'll have options. For the first time ever, a Macbook appeals to me as the next laptop. Does macOS track user activity to any degree (telemetry settings)? How's that Dell Linux laptop? I am past the point where I'd care to research drivers.

• Next small step - WIndows 10X

The new operating system should be more secure, since it runs all apps in a containerized environment so that they cannot easily corrupt the underlying operating system. Unlike Windows RT and other failed experiments of the past, you should be able to run both Universal Windows Platform apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store and Win32 apps… although there may be some restrictions on certain types of Win32 software.

Small, little ones. At first.

• Changes to Windows 10X include a simplified interface, an updated Start menu, multitasking improvements, and a method for running apps in a special container for performance and security. At the heart of 10X is Microsoft’s overall goal to create a stripped back, streamlined, and cloud-powered version of Windows.

Stay away and advice everyone to do the same.

“Our customers are leveraging the power of the cloud more than ever, and we believe the time is right to lean into this acceleration in a different way,” says Panay.

Microsoft is now repositioning Windows 10X as a streamlined version of Windows 10 for laptops.

It is also fun to see how management lies about dual screen devices being initial focus (despite only small part of OS had such code and it had been used only as deception tactic).

• All new OEM Windows 10 systems will be required to use 64-bit builds and Microsoft will no longer release 32-bit builds for OEM distribution.

This is quite dangerous move, despite looking very logical.

Microsoft plans to continue to sell 32-bit versions of Windows 10 through retail channels for the foreseeable future.

Actually Microsoft can cease to sell 32-bit versions as soon as next year, or even later this year if coronavirus will mask their move with some horrors.

• Windows 10x RTM coming very soon

• OS will move to monthly fee model within 2 years
    • all WinAPI apps will run in slower virtual machine mode
    • Microsoft will warn and ask NOT to install any apps outside Microsoft App Store
    • Any usual non signed app will force special prompts, company plans to add prompts later for any HDD access (loading or saving files)
    • OS updates will be impossible to to turn off using interface, at reboot time OS will restore all settings to force updates
    • Microsoft will gain rights to delete any file or uninstall any app remotely (via new End User Agreement) if they look suspicious for cloud AI. It is idea of their cloud department - people who pay for cloud backup will have option to restore things manually. All else won't have such option (OS will also wipe out remains of file!).
    sa15678.jpg
    800 x 450 - 48K
  • Welcome to Linux dear users, it’s time to jump wagons. MS is now fully functional piece of shit capitalist model hardcore.

• @endotoxic

It can be surprise, but all main Linux based distributions (including Linux kernel) are developed (90% contributions, sometimes 95%) but almost same corporations. Days of lonely libertarians are long gone. Development are being done by full time workers who have their tasks and make daily reports.

Guess where it is going.

• Maybe 95% of linux kernel maybe following this fate, but there are some distros that are fully free.

It’s not all loose, we have some hope

• @endotoxic

There are some distros that are fully free.

Distros consist from code that is being developed by huge corporations, so it does not matter that they declare, as actual development direction is being set at different place.

• Wait wait. Original Linux kernel is real free. No talking about corporation investing in other distros.

Original Linux is free.

• @endotoxic

"Free" is just bad arbitrarily chosen term here.

For example, Linux had been selected among many similar attempts to clone UNIX systems by big banks and corporations, at very early stages. Main reason had been because author had mess in his head and had been big capitalism/libertarian stuff proponent (contrary to most of the guys doing same thingy).

It was Linus who made foundation of such a system (for example, corporations asked for lack of kernel modularity as they wanted to sell you new product each time and make it hard to update OS) and chosen such tools that corporation just love him. Humanity already lost few trillions of USD due to horrible decisions that he made with his real owners.

Now they just define everything, from small to large things. Linux is just like toilet tissue that lies nearby and used if you need to clear most smelly shit.

• Linux kernel is relatively small. Yes big corps are into open source. Yes patent trolls are into Linux realm too. Linux is not free at the end of day.

• @stonebat

Linux kernel is relatively small. Yes big corps are into open source. Yes patent trolls are into Linux realm too. Linux is not free at the end of day.

Problem with Linux is the approach to kernel and drivers that corporations so loved.

As one big Chinese designer told me - sales of new smartphone will plummet at least 2-3 times if manufacturers will manage to kill this Linux mess of the thing (as it is extremely hard to update).

• Linux in Android wouldn’t go away anytime soon

• I'm moving towards a solution to much of this spying. Strategically, it has always been mitigation through segregation. This means using domain-specific apps on specific devices, and shuttling data between them with physical drives.

On the most sensitive front (mobile and cloud), the solution is spelled /e/ from e.foundation, combined with a NextCloud account, or a on-premise instance of NextCloud. /e/ is derived from LineageOS, which is derived from AOSP.

For post-production purposes, I'll behave like big facilities: have computers with just one app (suite) installed, and disconnect them from the net. I'll treat all devices as appliances: laptop with nothing but production apps, with only render caches stored locally; iMac with just Resolve and maybe Photoshop on it.

• @radikalfilm

Let me find you analogy in real life.

As soon as in exUSSR countries came capitalism - it came with idea that you can somehow survive aside the society, alone or with family. Hence idiotic idea that you can fight with lot of new thieves is by using metal doors, lot of security guards and huge amount of fences and grates. But capitalism cherished such ideas, as it exist on them.

Same is with Linux or spying. Cost (even if it is time only) of turning each computer into fortified stronghold is huge compared to society effort to end all this corporations and capitalism around.

So, in capitalism no solution exist allowing to feel safe and not spending ton of time, while using modern technology and software. As in capitalism almost all the authors, resellers and intermediaries want to cheat you, lie to you and steal your data to resell all of them to another strange guys.