Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Right changes: modular GFX camera

sa6904.jpg
    711 x 512 - 44K
  • 9 Replies sorted by

sa7085.jpg
    583 x 388 - 33K
    sa7086.jpg
    584 x 434 - 33K
    sa7087.jpg
    578 x 435 - 32K
  • OK, that looks pretty freakin' cool. I might be a little bit in love.

• @eatstoomuchjam

They just need to remove all wheels and buttons from main module and make it also attachable separate one.

SO as you change main module it'll be just simple thing with LIS and sensor, nothing else.

• I"m OK with the main module having ISO/shutter speed/exposure comp dials as well as a trigger. Those things are universally useful and having them on the main module doesn't prevent them being added to auxiliary grips. I could also imagine just using the main module as a very small standalone camera on a tripod. That wouldn't be too different from how I used to shoot with an RB67 or Hasselblad, but weighing a whole lot less than the RB.

• @eatstoomuchjam

You will be surprised how all this buttons add to board and central module costs.

If you remove sensor and LSi cost you can do all else up to 3x cheaper if you remove them all.

• Sure, but I like to be able to use the camera and dials/buttons tend to be good for that. :)

• @eatstoomuchjam

Dials and buttons don't need to change from one camera to the next, so, must not be part of central module.

Quite the contrary - user interface research shows that efficiency of such interface grows with time if you keep it the same, as your neurons strengthen connections.

• The central module will need to be a certain size, presumably, so that the sensor can be adequately cooled. It probably can't be much smaller than it is now for that reason. I'd be OK with moving the display to a separate unit because it generates more heat and adds fairly substantial bulk to the back of the camera. Putting the dials and knobs on a separate unit, however, seems like it would be guaranteed to make it necessary for the camera to be bigger in order to be operational. I like small.

• I agree with VK for other reasons as well as the stated. By making the top come off the unit with all the buttons, and hotshoe, and yes the screen should come off too (with an HDMI plug), there is very little that can break, which means this becomes a high end drone dream. Just put a nice recessed little plug for long range wifi antennae options, and it would be a dream for not only drone operators, but anyone in the field wanting a rugged easy to place remote unit. Not to mention you could buy three bodies, and just one set of buttons for setting up anything not available in the wifi app. Beyond drone and remote, it is just smart to have the camera body without breakable bits, ie repair costs become much cheaper, and you can have spares to keep a workable unit while you send in the broken bits, rather than sending the whole camera in.