Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
They are not alone. Ta, ta, ta...
  • In a recent experiment, I discovered that Microsoft have deliberately capped the minimum depth range of the Xbox Kinect controller (when running it on a Windows 7 PC using the official Beta 2 Kinect SDK) to a lousy 80cm. They have done this so that you will buy the new “Kinect for Windows” controller (which costs more than 4 times as much as the Xbox version) in order to unlock this cap, and track from ~50cm instead. They’re calling this “near mode”, and marketing it as an entirely new feature, when in fact it is not! Your existing Xbox Kinect controller is not only capable of tracking from 46cm and up, we (with the TKinect project) have been doing this for more than a year!

Via: http://www.simonjstuart.com/2012/01/17/tkinect-changing-name-new-controller-support/

So, camera corporations marketing guys are not alone :-)

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy Do not touch that even with a 10 yard pole. Digging in Microsoft's underwear is not a wise thing to even think about. We love you and we want you to be alive and happy for years to come. Your contribution to videographers community has miles to go.

• You got it wrong. I have no intention of hacking Kinect SDK.

But I want to try make simple tracking app (as I have Kinect with XBox anyway) and will use TKinect.