Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
10-25mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica Micro Four Thirds Wide Zoom Lens

Specs

• 10-25mm (20-50mm full-frame equivalent)
    • Focus clutch
    • 9 diaphragm blades
    • 77mm filters
    • Dust/splash resistant
    • Cold resistant down to -10C
    • Length: 128mm
    • Weight: 690G

Preorders

Screw my SLR Magic 8mm f4

I want to vlog with that lens instead!

But I know the price will hurt painfully :-( Not for me :-/ No news on price yet though, but it won't be cheap.

I assume they targeted f1.7 just so that they could beat Sigma with their f1.8 zoom!

Panasonic12.59.21.png
    700 x 429 - 120K
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for making topic - just remember our title format for any lens topics.

• Crucial questions:

[a] On how much software geometry correction does this lens rely? (This could make it unusable on cameras like the Blackmagic Pocket.)

[b] On how much software vignetting correction does this lens rely? (In other words: Is it really an f1.7 lens?)

Besides, Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8 with a Speed Booster is still one stop faster.

• Good questions! But I expect we won't know the answer to either of these until it ships.

• @IronFilm This will probably be relatively heavy. Consider the existing Olympus 12mm f/2 if you're vlogging handheld and want something with a little shallower DOF than your 8mm. It's super light, really decent quality, and since it's been out for a while, you can find used copies in pretty good shape for under $400 US. I've vlogged with that one and been really happy with it - though most of the time if I'm vlogging with micro 4/3, I just use the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 or the Panasonic 12-60/2.8-4.

If weight and price aren't concerns, consider the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8. It's a pretty gorgeous lens (though I don't love holding it at arm's length on my GH5). :)

sa4824.jpg
    700 x 938 - 74K
  • It has a mechanical iris dial ?! O.O

Wow, that would set this lens appart. Interesting!

• The Panaleica 42.5mm f/1.2 also has a mechanical aperture ring. Some of the other Panaleica lense might as well.

• @eatstoomuchjam For prime lenses the aperture ring is quite common, but m4/3 zoom lenses most often lack this feature.

• Of all of my micro 4/3 native primes (I think about 10?), exactly one has an aperture ring. Of my 3 Sony native primes, 0 have an aperture ring. Of my Canon AF prime lenses (3 or 4?) (I think all are "L"), 0 have an aperture ring. I'm not sure that it's as "quite common" as you believe. :)

sa4855.jpg
    623 x 583 - 49K
  • Latest rumors suggest that this lens won't be shipping any time soon - shipping dates might not even be announced until Spring. Ouch.

• Look at the history of all latest good m43 Panasonic lenses.

Extremely long release time. Can be indicator that all engineers are moved to L mount lenses already.

sa7282.jpg
    795 x 587 - 51K
  • "To be released in 2019 or later."

Catalog-10-25mm.png
    460 x 568 - 93K

sa7552.jpg
    774 x 590 - 59K
    sa7553.jpg
    776 x 579 - 58K
  • That is a big piece of glass! USD3000?

• As I recall, the announcement is expected in August-September 2019. It will be quite an expensive glass, because it is unique. We expect the price to be at the level of 160,000 rubles, but probably also cheaper. In fact, by purchasing one lens, the videographer gets all the main focal lengths to which he is used. 10-25mm – in the full frame it is 20-50mm. The lens was developed in conjunction with LEICA.

$2300 mft lens. I am not sure if Panasonic management will survive future revolution. Most probably not.

• You can get Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for $799, plus Viltrox speed booster and you get similar focal length and and wider aperture for less than half of the price. The only advantage is better auto focus, but autofocus on mft cameras is not good mostly. And maybe OIS, will it have OIS?

• @Eimulis

Do not see any mention of OIS.

Also you wrongly understand logic now. The bigger the price - the better.

I am sure in 1-2 year we will see $5000-10000 consumer lenses from all major companies. Initially they will be called something like "special limited pro line", but in the future will be common.

Some part of society are fast becoming very rich. Owning expensive photo gear is one of their hobbies.

• There's no IS on/off switch in the pictures.

Even weirder, there's no AF on/off switch. Come on, Panasonic. $2500 and you can't even add an physical switch for AF (unless they are going the Olympus route and engaging MF by pulling the focus ring backward which would be a dream come true).

Edit: Just noticed in the pictures that they are doing that since in some, there is a distance scale and others there isn't. Even better, the presence of a distance scale implies that they are finally doing linear focus-by-wire instead of what all of their current lenses do.

• When you compare it to a full frame equivalent this becomes a 20-50mm f 2.89, which is great for micro 4/3's and it doesn't really get better than that for native full frame lens speed wise, though you can get wider with the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 ($1,299) for slightly more than half the price or the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III ($1,899 on sale) for less money as well if you shoot full frame.

It seems a bit over priced and should sell for no more than $1799 IMHO, but they can always price it high at $2300 and discounted when it doesn't sell as they had hoped - it's probably their plan all along.

A Sigma 18-35mm with a speed booster is looking better all the time.

sa8432.jpg
    800 x 589 - 53K
    sa8434.jpg
    800 x 587 - 56K
    sa8433.jpg
    800 x 555 - 45K
  • Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm f/1.7 Lens -- H-X1025

LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH. H-X1025 from Panasonic is built for mirrorless Micro Four Thirds mount cameras and enables F1.7 aperture brightness throughout the entire 20-50mm (35mm camera equivalent) zoom range with exceptionally high optical performance clearing the stringent LEICA standards. Suitable not only for photo shooting but also for video recording to satisfy both professional photographers and videographers.

LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX

LEICA Camera AG's strict quality standards optimized for photo/video has been developed into this ruggedized mirrorless Micro Four Thirds mount lens.

F1.7 Full Range

F1.7 high-speed aperture brightness is available across the entire zoom range of 10-25mm (35mm camera equivalent of 20-50mm).

Lens System

Comprising 17 elements in 12 groups, the lens system features three aspherical lenses and four ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lenses that effectively suppress the axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration of magnification. Spherical aberration and distortion are also corrected by the aspherical lenses for stunningly high resolution. The use of aspherical lenses and the optimum design of the lens system results in a compact size and light weight despite its outstanding optical performance.

Performance

Compatibility with a maximum 240-fps high-speed sensor drive realizes high-speed, high-precision autofocusing. Notably, the new lens excels in video recording performance. In addition to the silent operation achieved by the inner focus drive system, the stepless "de-clicked" aperture ring and micro-step drive system in the aperture control section help the camera to smoothly catch up to brightness changes when zooming or panning. The optical design achieves exceptional barycentric stability to minimize image shifts during zooming. Adoption of a focus clutch mechanism enables instant AF/MF switching and accurate manual focusing. The lens also excels in video recording performance with a mechanism that suppresses focus breathing, which was a fatal problem of all interchangeable lenses designed for still image photography.

• Specs

• 17 elements in 12 groups (3 aspherical lenses, 4 ED lenses, 1 UHR lens)
    • 9 diaphragm blades / Circular aperture diaphragm
    • Maximum aperture: F1.7
    • Minimum aperture: F16
    • Min focusing distance: 0.28m / 0.92′
    • Maximum magnification: Approx. 0.14x / 0.28x (35mm camera equivalent)
    • Dust and splash resistant
    • Recommended operating temperature: -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
    • Filters -77mm
    • Maximum diameter: 87.6mm / 3.45″
    • Overall length: Approx. 128mm / 5.04″ (from the tip of the lens to the base side of the lens mount)
    • Weight: Approx. 690g / 24.34oz (excluding lens cap, lens rear cap and lens hood)
    • $1797