Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 cuts last few millisecond footage
  • I have a problem with the last few millisecond of my footage recorded on GH2. It seems after i press stop record, it will delay for say 1-2sec for the video to be written to the card and etc. After that, when i played the video, the last few milliseconds is missing. Is this normal? How can you fix this? I've tried with every setting but nothing seemed to work. I am using a Class 10 SDCard so i dont think thats the problem. Anyone experience the same issue? Thanks
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, as I am aware this happens on other models also.
    Just do not press stop with missleconds accuracy, it is bad habit anyway :-)
  • Hey! Thanks for the prompt reply. So this problem happens on all GH2 you mean? Anyway, I hope u have a fix for this when u release ur hacked firmware! (:

Its annoying to spend so much cash on this and have a silly problem like this when my 550D doesnt. Im used to record on milisecond accuracy on my 550d thats why. :p
  • Leave preroll and postroll so you have room for editing anyway!
  • exaxtly. get the middle goody part only.
  • Yeah on my GH1, it takes a second to get up to speed and then hitting stop results in a second or so of lost "footage."
  • Agree with CColton. If you've ever used an analogue or digital tape-based camcorder you would always include pre- and post-roll when shooting - and whatever the camera, it's useful to have those extra bits at the beginnings and ends of a shot. You never know when you might need them, and it's difficult to go back and get them afterwards!

I guess the 1-2 seconds it takes to write to the card is a quirk of these cameras. Doesn't really worry me, but of course you have to wait for it to do that. If stopping very quickly is an issue, the only reason I can imagine is that you want to capture something else immediately. If that's the case and you are wanting to move the camera quickly to another view / shot (and change lens angle, if you are using a zoom) then just leave it recording - and you don't risk missing anything that way (or having to resync the next shot, if it's continuous music). And, obviously, edit afterwards!
  • Geez... learn how to trim... and don't let fat finger press shutter button to stop recording.
  • Haha okay guys. So im not the only one with this problem. (: ill start to get myself used to preroll n postroll (: cheers!
  • Always preroll/postroll.
  • anyone know because it has both the background noise
    GH2 microphone is normal?