Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Recording 10-bit with the GH5S: MP4 or Quicktime?
  • Pretty basic question. If I'm recording 10-bit video with my GH5s, I can do it as an MP4 or as a Quicktime. But is there an advantage or disadvantage to using either of these? How does HLG impact on this? Or is All-I video of better quality?

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks, all. I'll take Vitaliy's advice and use MP4. (Premiere pro too the Quicktime tests I shot very easily, and my Transcend R95 W60 128gb cards didn't crash the camera.)

• One thing to note, free version of DaVinci Resolve 14 does not handle either natively, it seems that it lacks support for 10 bit files bassed on h264. I use transcode them to 10-bit MXFs before importing.

Not sure if free version of Davinci 15 supports the files natively.

• It is just containers. I suggest to use MP4 as it is simpler and better container. Lot of software have strange glitches with specific MOV files as it is not documented container.