Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Some words on Kurosawa
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • A really good film on it's own, and a different view on both Kurosawa and one of his masterpieces: RAN - be sure to watch Chris Marker's film AK, if you haven't already..

• Thanks for posting this, will check out AK as well! I was recently reading Kurosawa's autobiography on a flight, and an older gentleman recommended AK to me as well. It was probably the first time I had a long conversation on a flight with a stranger, that was actually pleasant.

• And while you are at it, see Chris Marker's "Sans Soleil" too.

• My favorite Kurosawa so far is Rashōmon, makes you always think twice before trusting a story ...

• I think Ikiru is the most beautiful Kurosawa movie... so powerful! A true cinema legend. Hollywood remade allmost ALL of his movie. Most famous remakes are from Spielberg en Lucas (Star Wars is a Yojimbo remake).

• My personal favorites are Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Throne of Blood for sure! Out of all of them I think I've watched Throne of Blood the most.

A few years ago the Film Forum in NYC had a retrospective...was amazing to see nice prints of these films.

• @sohus,

I think Star Wars is much more of a Hidden Fortress remake than a Yojimbo remake.

A Fistful of Dollars with Clint Eastwood and Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis are remakes of Yojimbo.