Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Do any of these small handheld camera have global shutter?
  • I don't understand why all these cameras that are supposed to be handheld like the new black magic 4k pocket camera doesn't have a global shutter!!!!

Why dont they do it? I would gladly pay a grand or more for one of the handheld cameras do have it. I don't see the point of having a small form factor but always having to have it on a tripod or gimbal etc and I'm not a fan of the floaty in IBIS on many of them. Why the hell don't they put a global shutter on any of them?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • @suresure123

This one is easy. Global shutter is more noisy and less DR. Plus more expensive and harder to make right.

• I see. But personally I think the DR thing has been done to death and am starting to hate the flatness of too much DR. My point is I think the market would trade off a loss of a bit of DR and noise for 4k global shutter in a compact form.

As I was replying I remembered BM did do a 4k global shutter and maybe did it on one of its mini cams if I remember but cancelled it. I would love the 4k production camera in the pocket form if possible. I can't be the only one who wouldn't accept some trade offs. Especially doc work where you really want to be handheld with a global shutter. Also the digital Bolex managed it even though it was an amateur set up but they got the DR down ok. Form factor was horrible though.

• Digital Bolex got global shutter by using a CCD. All of the other cameras that you are talking about are using CMOS sensors. If you read up on how a CMOS sensor works (vs CCD), you will understand why it is difficult to make one with global shutter (and also what are some of the trade-offs between the two types of sensor).