Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BOYA BY-DMR7 Shotgun On Camera Microphone
  • Our review

Some little fun at test part to check if you can make cheap microphone to sound like expensive.

Specs

BOYA BY-DMR7 is good quality condenser microphone specially designed for DSLR cameras and camcorders. The integrated flash recording allows you to record 24-bit/48kHz wav audio files to MicroSDHC cards(not included), supporting capacities up to 32GB. It features one-button recording and easy-to-read menu display, making your recording work much easier. The 3.5mm data cable connects the BY-DMR7 Recorder to your camera's audio input, while the stereo headphone output allows you to monitor incoming audio. The shock mount system provides isolation from vibration and mechanical noise.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Nice delailed review, PV.

• Thanks for the in-depth, detailed Review! I have to say though, that the interference noise which can be heard on the BOYA (at 6:06 for example) is a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise this would have been a really nice package with the internal recording and even monitoring capabilities. If BOYA could fix the interference noise it would be a no-brainer! I'll stick to my Takstar Sgc-598 and my Rode VideoMicro for now, recording in the camera. (There's also a clone by BOYA which I didn't test yet but might be an alternative).

• @MrZz

It is outside location. Not best idea to look for anything outside tonal character in this moments.

As for alternative, I extremely strongly suggest Tascam DR-10SG

http://tascam.com/product/dr-10sg/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DR-10SG-On-Camera-Supercardioid-Shotgun-Microphone-and-Audio-Recorder/132143144619

It is outstanding thing. Has slate tone, safety track, etc

• Sorry I didn't get the full meaning of your first sentence? There is some clear pulsating static buzz on all the Boya's recording, that's what I meant, not the noise of the environment.

Yeah I already have my Eyes on the Tascam DR-10SG though it's around 150€ here in Germany. Though still a good price for what you get ;)

• Yeah I already have my Eyes on the Tascam DR-10SG though it's around 150€ here in Germany. Though still a good price for what you get ;)

Actually it is best thing, as none of competitors have such good recorder and safe track.

Sorry I didn't get the full meaning of your first sentence? There is some clear pulsating static buzz on all the Boya's recording, that's what I meant, not the noise of the environment.

I just mean referenced time is not best place to look for such noise. We'll try to test another Boya sample and see how it looks. Can be just sample specific.

• Definitely! Tascam DR-10SG is an awesome package!

And resolves one of the biggest diy-solution-problems for dslr/dslm filming or even with compact cameras without audio input haha. So many people I know mounted a Zoom H1 plus a mic on their small cameras, what a hassle.

Oh yeah that would be very good to know if it's only a sample specific problem.

• I reckon that is the best use for this mic. For cameras which don't have any audio input at all.

Such as Sony a5100 / Samsung NX500 / Panasonic GX85 / Sony RX100mk4 / etc etc.... there are so many on the market without an audio input! :-( :-/

• @IronFilm

Yes, but you can also view on internal recording as some kind of second SD backup card.

• @IronFilm yup always a bummer and then some of them don't even have a hot-shoe/cold-shoe mount, what are they thinking?! haha

Also I think using both internal and external recording, daisy-chaining them together is an awesome way of backing up, so yeah great package for all of us.