Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 post-production workflows
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • @LongJohnSilver @brianluce @VVV1151

I don't think editing software is like a marriage; monogamous, till death do us part.. Everybody switches editors. I commented on Lightworks because it's industrially used, maybe going Open Source - and a free, 40MB download. Now if all the others were free too, I'd use the lot!

• Difference Edius from all the others NLE softwarre - YUV (non RGB!) color spase. I bought Edius 2.5 + Canopus DV Storm 2 PRO many years ago, and now - Edius 6 + HDSPARK. I'm happy (:

• Vegas can also edit straight from the card reader -- same as Edius. I haven't used Edius but it's rep is a fast stable NLE but on the thin side feature wise.

• Episode 4 is My favourite. Everything is made without external plugin and he's working with Red camera files on a laptop. Actually You must be a YUV curve Jedi.

• Edius 6.03 - great sofware for NLE! EDIUS 6 Tutorial (Color Grading - 5 Episodes) you must see:

• Nobody using EDIUS?

Not to start a NLE flame :) but on a pc it's light and fast as nothing else. I used Premiere and Vegas but Edius is years ahead. Only Avid could have the same speed and features on a PC and it's question of personal taste.

Both Edius 6.x and the cheap Edius Neo have always supported AVCHD natively from the beginning. No transcoding, no hassle with AVHCD file structure. You just drop your MTS in your project and you start editing in real time. You have an old laptop? (with an intel centrino and maybe one gig of ram) you just use proxy editing and you'll edit 1080p in real time.

If you have a new intel i7 or i5 with integrated graphics (aka i5/i7-2600k), you don't even need a discrete graphics card. H264 is encoded natively by the processor with the Intel Quick Sync technology. Intel used Edius as demonstration for its new Sandy Bridge platform:

So, for a Edius user, the GH2 workflow is zero: new project, add files, start creating :)

• Lightworks currently supports AVCHD natively in QuickTime containers only (mov, mp4) not MTS containers. MTS files need to be re-wrapped to mp4 or transcoded to MPEG I-frame HD in an AVI container (there is little quality loss). http://lightworks.wikidot.com/avchd-workflow Using MediaCoder's & shaunthesheep's presets, my conversions of short msi clips to Quicktime container are almost instant.

• does it support AVC HD natively without rendering?

• An interesting intro to Lightworks:

• I have found a way to edit footage in premiere pro and color grade it in Apple Color!!! :D

• @JDN - your workflow sounds bang on - just remember to dupe the new file names into the tape column in your bins. I'd try a dummy conform of a short sequence just to be belt and braces.

• Premiere Pro users, what is the longest project you have cut? Just curious if there are any large project stability issues like in FCP7.

• This is a reply to a question on the LOW GOP thread that has been moved here:

"@JDN Thanks for the advice! I just investigated further, and noticed that in fact the last frame - or maybe last two - of the clip (prores encoded through Clipwrap) does NOT show up at all in FCP, but it DOES in Quicktime... So it seems really, that FCP is the culprit. But then you say, that you had never any problems going Clipwrap->ProRes->FCP? Hm...

If I use the "rewrap" function in Clipwrap, FCP crashes trying to play the such created files.

In Avid, do you then just cut the MTS files - or do you still transcode?

Sorry for all the questions, just starting a long-term doc project, and trying to get it right from the start... I've used FCP since they brought it out, but maybe it IS time to switch to Avid...? (With the $1000 FCP crossgrade discount...)"

@rbna I always transcode -- sometimes when I'm dealing with a lot of footage, I'll use the ama (if I'm on a fast enough computer) to review it, and chose what I will and won't import. But it always gets transcoded to dnxhd.

I'm also on a big doc project that will probably be moving from FCP to AVID so we can handle a 2 hours sequence with access to all our footage without breaking it into lots of projects as you would on FCP (we also have lots of stills and FCP can be pretty grumpy with stills).

So what I'm testing over the next few days is:

• Rename .mts files with free "NameChanger" app -- each gets a unique prefix for the project name (ws), contributor 01, 02 etc and file 0001, 0002 etc. This is a nice thing about being free from the tyranny of FCP's log and transfer is that I can rename the files logically.
    • Import as DNxHD 36 -- we were thinking of editing at 175X and skipping online but did a hard drive comparison and figured we were looking at 6 2 TB drives for the whole project at 36 and 30 at 175X, so even if we lose a day or two with the conform, we more than make it up in drive space (to say something about the chance of failure. In all likelihood we'll just run it off a RAID array which is still reasonable when dealing with 12 TB of footage, but a little expensive when dealing with 60.
    • Edit in DNxHD 36, duplicate sequence, decompose and import at full res and conform.

Hopefully it will work flawlessly -- if anyone else is doing offline/online with avid and gh2 I'd LOVE to hear about your workflow.

• @ sohus "... I am on a mac so other tools (Lightworks, Vegas) are out of scope for me now."

I'm working with Vegas and I've installed it on my Mac via Bootcamp. It works well.

Erhard

• Any Sony Vegas users? Care to share?

• It's horses for courses, there will always be people who like different things for different reasons... I used to use FCP but have now moved across to Premier Pro (I am not disrespecting anyone who still likes FCP.. just going with what works for me) A lot of other forums get bogged down in this vs that and as far as I can see, those debates rarely end up in agreement! I would love to know more about other's workflows as I am a bit of a Premiernoob, but this thread would be better served by everyone giving their own workflows and less trying to convert others to their own preferences :)

• Well, I dare to disagree. With the current speed of updates, FCP-X may be a great NLE around the time VK is hacking the GH4 ;-)

• I have tried the latest version of Premiere Pro extensively (5.5) and I simply don't like it. It is better than CS4, but not even at 70% of FCP in terms of usability, editing speed and flexibility. I always hated Avid but with the latest 6.0 update and the inclusion of smart tools (version 5.5 if I reminded well), AMA, I think it bodes well for the future. Premiere will also grow but all Adobe's programs have become bloated and they totally seem to lacking a vision. Premiere Pro is essentially trying to be everything FCP was now.

With regards to Apple, I totally disagree. Apple is not a phone company. The earn a lot of money with it, which gives them lots of leverage. Apple bets on a big shift in the way editors work, and I think they are right. I don't say FCPX is a good product right now, it isn't yet but it will be. The next update will be about multicam and broadcast monitoring... please tell me which consumer needs either of those? I keep reminding people of this: go read reviews and opinions about OS X 10.0. FCPX is OS X 10.0. It will take three big updates to fix it. The market is changing... I bet there will be editors for iPad Pro models in the future with big touch screens and Apple has an interface already that will work, Avid and Adobe don't.

• Haven't seen any Premiere workflows w/hacks. Anybody here using PP? Any settings tips?

• Also AVID .. currently 5.5.3 .. an observation that might be usefull.

I ran my GH2 about two weeks ago with 1.1 (25P) firmware for 38 minutes continuosly - mounted as a static on a drummer. It produced 2 files .. they stalled and would not import when I copied them to my disk.

I got around it by putting the SD card back in the GH2 and using the Panasonic importer .. imported mts files went into AVID smoothly as expected.

I have had the same issue with longer files from my Sony AVCHD cameras. The solution was the same .. I used Sony's PMB first .. it actually stitches the files into onefile

• you see now why i'm all confused with Avid workflow? ;)

• @mrbill - Just try import long clips - 9 or 12 min 24p or 18 min 50p - regular it fails on different PC's. And this kind of import is with format conversion. It take long time versus FAST IMPORT transcoded MOV files. External transcoding don't takes a host program work hard if you need it's time for editing. Or these MOV files possible to link with AMA.

• @act - any version of avid post 5.03 will import avchd files directly

• @act oh.. didn't know high Intra can cause trouble in Avid import :(

• I still at Avid MC 4.05 and 5.54 because 6.0 not yet supported some my favorite plugins like MBL. Those versions haven't support avchd. I prefer transcode files from 5DmkII and GH2 to DNxHD , then fast import to Avid. It works fine. Straight import to Avid fails on long files. Import to 6.0 also not 100% successful because we working with hacked GH2 files with not standard Avchd bitrate.