Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Does IBIS avoid using a tripod? Is it stable enough with legacy lenses?
  • I am wondering if I can avoid the use of tripods, and use IBIS with nikon and canon fd lenses, maybe with a rj focal reducer or a mitakon lens turbo ii.

It would be much faster workflow in the location, and avoid carrying big and heavy stuff.

People who use IBIS can describe your experience?

(I want the shoots most stable possible, just like a tripod)

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • There are some situations where less equipment is welcome. This is not a personal situation, it can happen to anyone. And IBIS can be very life saving...

1-you cannot use a car or a cab, because you do not have it or because you do not have money to rent one, or to keep paying cabs, and you cannot trust in your friends for all situations that you need it.

2-you have a car, but there is no place to park it, and parking places are always full, so you do not have a place to park the car, and you cannot afford a driver.

2-you cannot pay for a person to help you to carry the equipment, because to hire a person many days can be very expensive. Even if you can pay someone it needs to be a trusted person who will not get late or disapear.

3-you will get very tired of carrying lots of equipment alone, and fisicaly stressed.

4-you need to go to distant places, and you need to walk in many situations.

5-using professional looking equipment can be a problem because in many places the owners will ask you to get an authorization or permission to use the image for professional purposes (making money). This can make you loose time and maybe pay fees to do your footage. Using small equipment makes you to be a common person doing some personal shots and nobody will care about it. Even if the owners do not worry about you make money they can want to avoid image exposure in the media, so professional gear can be a problem.

6-you do not want to get attention and curiosity in public places, like people surrounding the shot location to whatch you working and disturb you and your people.

7-you need to use public transport like bus or subway, and there are lots of people, you need your hands to hold and avoid falling, there is small space, you need to be agile and fast.

8-Carrying a tripod bag can make people guess there are expensive gear in your backpack so you will get lots of attention and curiosity around.

9-In dark or isolate places you get the risk of being stolen because you are carrying desired and expensive things, even if the things are inside bags. This can happen even in the middle of the crowd.

10-you need to work fast to make different shots in different angles and positions, and moving and adjusting a tripod and light takes time.

11-you need to move yourself around the location and you cannot leave the bags, tripod and stands alone and walk away for a while.

12-you need to eat and drink, and less equipment can save some space for some snaks, or can make easy to go to a food place.

13-you need to work fast and shot lots of things in few time.

14-you are alone and need to do image, sound, light, everything by yourself.

15-you like the run & gun style of production, and it makes your work to look and feel the way you are.

16-you are lazzy.

17- you want to work with pleasure, not with tiredness

18-small and lightweight tripods are shaky and trembling, and you cannot carry heavy big tripods alone.

19-you are shooting in moving situations like a car, a bus, an airplane, a helicopter, a boat, and IBIS can save your footage

20-you are in a moment that you are mixing work and fun time.

21-you are not strong enough.

22-you are in a tight place and you do not have enough space for a tripod.

Feel free to add more situations...

• @apefos

Get steadicam or attach weight to bottom of even cheapest tripod and learn and you will get very good results.

Again, IS does not replace tripod.

You better tell us your real usage scenarios.

• I saw some I.S. Lock videos on youtube and vimeo and to my eyes it can replace the tripod. Of course sometimes there are small movements, but considering it avoid carrying a tripod so it is just amazing. I think the small movements can be avoided if you know how to control your body. Also a cheap lightweight tripod is prone to shaking and vibrations, only heavy big tripods can give perfect stable shots. So this feature can make video/cine production more easy and discrete, using lavaliers and available light this is good for "one man crew" with a backpack. Depending on your skills it can handle a portrait lens no problem.

• In my experience, the IS lock works best in wide angle. In any zoom position is is, obviously, not good enough to replace a stabilization system. On the wide angle side, like 12 mm of the 12-60, for a 5-10 second shot, it is extremly stable.

• The I.S. Lock does not work in the G85. It works in the G9. I did a look in the pdf manuals.

• This I.S. Lock function also works in the G85 and in the G9 or just in the GH5 ?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev without a doubt, this is important, so you still have to be very stable (tucked in elbows, shallow breathing, leaning against a post/wall/tree etc), but again, this IS Lock mode does a good job compensating for micro X-Y wobble, as well as roll and Z-axis movement. I'm also finding I can get away with my smallest, lightest tripod a lot more by utilizing the GH5 IBIS, where I used to have to take my bigger tripods with me anytime I wanted to shoot with manual glass at (especially at longer focal lengths 35mm+) to avoid any jitter, as well as in windy conditions.

• @sam_rides_a_mtb

It is always plus to understand physics of stabilization. Like it can't hold picture if you have X-Y plane movements.

• The IS lock mode found in the GH5 does provide tripod-like shots but if you're needing long takes (1 min +) where the frame remains exactly the same start to finish then there is no substitute for a tripod. Ill try to post some examples soon, but even with my Rokinon 85mm on a XL speedbooster, I can get handheld shots that you would be hard pressed to argue that they were not shot from a tripod. It really is the first time I've seen stabilzation this solid. With manual glass you have to set focal length perfectly in stabilization menu. For my Rokinon 85mm on .64 speedbooster, I set it to 54.4mm. Works as well and maybe slightly better with native glass like 12-35mm and 35-100mm (both version 1 that I have) but oddly enough the IS lock does not work too well with my Panasonic 100-300mm v1 - it shows slight drifting/swaying.

• I really enjoy monopod style of shooting, I filmed last night an event entirely with my Nikon D5200 + Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 + Sirui video monopod.

• I have a Sirui lightweight tripod with a compact fluid head for the GH4 and it was the best decision I made for a compact easy setup that delivers great results. The tripod has a hook under the centre post that you can hang a weight on (I use my camera kit bag) to stabilise the tripod in wind or other difficult situations. We use it as a B cam for a Sony F5 main cam setup.

• I think the monopod solution is the best option.

It is small, thin, lightweight, and can be 6 feet high without shaking.

Solves the problem for G7 with legacy lenses, no ibis, no ois.

I liked the WT1005. It does not have fluid head, but I think monopods does not need fluid head.

wt1005.jpg
    975 x 1200 - 64K
  • IBIS does not replace tripod, or gimbal or monopod or shoulder rig. Nope.

It all depend on your real task. Get better lighter tripod (recommend Benro) or legged monopod.