Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Exporting audio in PCM and FLAC for YouTube
  • I see YouTube is now recommending PCM and FLAC for the audio part of uploads. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is, in Premiere Pro.
    Obviously, it isn't part of the regular x264 or HEVC export process. Anyone have any experience doing this? I think Sorenson allows for it, but I'm not sure it is part of the official specification.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Obviously, it isn't part of the regular x264 or HEVC export process. Anyone have any experience doing this? I think Sorenson allows for it, but I'm not sure it is part of the official specification.

It has nothing to do with codec at all. But all to do with container and software capabilities with specific container.

Like GH cameras that record PCM in MOV.

Only reason for PCM or FLAC can be saving on decoding, as Google will still encode it at low bitrate lossy codec using cheapest possible implementation. But it is weird.

• Can Premiere export to a WAV file? For my YouTube uploads I usually take a WAV file and then mux it with the video into an MKV or MOV using ffmpeg.

• Yeah--you can do it in steps but there often is a tiny time offset when glue it back together. TMPGenc has a plugin, I will try the trial.

• PCM audio is standard in all Sony XAVC (h264) variants. Thus, almost all Sony cameras that record video record audio in PCM, even the X3000 action cam. Choosing XAVC as the export codec/wrapper in any editor should have PCM audio.

• Interesting...I'll look for it in Premiere.