Personal View site logo
Cinema gear deals, direct from factories - Gear deals and Gear deals section. Also check Cameras, lenses, software, gear deals.
You support is vital for us. To keep this place ad free and independent, select one of the options below.
Donations are going to community support costs, hosting, etc. Your support allows to improve and expand this site.
Red Hydrogen One Holographic phone .....an expensive toy

• 5.7inch "Hydrogen Holographic" Display - seemlessly switches between 2D content (at full screen resolution), holographic multi-view content, stereo 3D content, and interative games, with both landsape and portrait modes.
    • View 2D/3D VR, AR and MR
    • Runs Android
    • Multi-band smartphone
    • USB-C connection
    • MicroSD slot

.... when an iphone isn't enough ...the only specs I found...
    It’s an unlocked, multi-band phone that runs Android.
    It supports 2D, 3D, 4-view holographic, and virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality content.
    There’s an algorithm for converting stereo audio into 5.1 channel sound… that can play through regular headphones.
    You can use the phone as a controller and monitor for RED Scarlet, Epic, and Weapon cameras.

"Priced at at $1195 for the Aluminum version, with a Titanium version that will cost $1595, the HYDROGEN ONE is a stand-alone, full featured, unlocked multi-band smartphone operating on Android OS, but it is more than a smartphone. RED says it is a 5.7” professional HYDROGEN holographic display allowing users to view all traditional 2D content at full screen resolution, view holographic RED Hydrogen 4-View content (H4V), view stereo 3D content and view 2D/3D VR, AR and MR."

https://www.provideocoalition.com/hydrogen-one-reds-holographic-smartphone/

[VK: Added stuff]

sample837.jpg
    689 x 450 - 34K
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • piece of shit

• Wow... I wish I had the marketing skills of Red's team. I can't imagine how they're getting people to spend $1200-1600 on a smartphone with basically 0 details about its features!

• They won't make this bloated whale float from only members at reduser. I'd hoped it would be an action cam....maybe w/1" sensor and their codec. Sadly it's another 3k for 3 grand deal, when 4k is 500 bucks !

• @kurth

It is not about toy.

It is about PR stunt, as it nothing more than PR stunt. Free remainder that Red still alive.
    In last year Red had been pushed hard in the top niche on rental cameras with sales of cheaper ones tanking.

• @vitaliy well...if that's true , that it's just a pr stunt, then all those folks having their cards charged will get a refund, which I kinda of doubt. Most likely they'll get an overpriced smartphone late in 2018, and wished they' been more prudent.

• @kurth

It is good reason why details are so vague.

The only PR stunt is about screen, as they openly say that all else is cheap phone, just with proprietary connector (it is actually necessary to use it as monitor).

Also it won't be lot of complains as it will be still usable as small monitor and will work ok for it.

Most probably we see here 1080p screen with 4 pixels in place of one covered by special lens. It is the reason why they constantly mention 4-way. Actually due to vision physics it has little use.

Always remember

With adequate profit, capital is very bold. A certain 10% [profit] will ensure its employment anywhere; 20% certain will produce eagerness; 50%, positive audacity; 100% will make it ready to trample on all human laws; 300%, and there is not a crime at which it will scruple, nor a risk it will not run, even to the chance of its owner being hanged.

To survive capital is ready for anything.

• @vitaliy speaking of 300%, I highly recommend the night manager . Usually profits at that level require government collusion and elites corruption.

• http://downloads.red.com/hydrogen.pdf

One of the people who pre-ordered it:

Marques Brownlee is another person who pre-ordered it. Bought 3 of them. https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/882993642834710529

Info about the camera:

"Preferably, the camera includes a capability for capturing still images with various and/or adjustable resolutions and aspect ratios for example but without limitation, as high as 6144×3160 pixels or higher with aspect ratios such as 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9, etc, and a capability for capturing motion images at resolutions up to about '6K' or higher."

http://www.definitionmagazine.com/journal/2016/5/7/are-red-making-a-6k-smart-phone-case

• Heh. That video could be boiled down to "I preordered it because I make software and would like to make my software run on it because I will have a built-in market of people who have $1600 to blow on a phone with nearly no specs disclosed."

• @PauloTeixeira

Red specifically stated that smartphone camera will be ordinary and not any better than other.

• it looks like these resolution numbers are hype for some future camera module that attaches to the phone