Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 replacement in a multicam shoot. Only using HDMI output. t5i? 1D? D5?
  • We have three GH2s in a mulitcam live switched set-up. One of our GH2's HDMI port died. We are not recording inside the camera; we are just using the HDMI output (which is converted to 1080i SDI by a Blackmagic converter) and run into a TriCaster, a video broadcasting device.

We need to replace the GH2 from the following list of Canons: t5i, D5, 1D. Is it possible to convert the HDMI output of any of these cameras like I can with the GH2: HDMI to 1080i via a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converter?

I tried a t5i as a substitute. The HDMI video converts to SDI and I can run the video signal into the TriCaster, but the t5i screen goes black so the camera person can't see what they are doing. I have the t5i set to "live" (doesn't seem to matter) and dialed to the movie position.

I have access to a D5 and a 1D. Will either of these cameras work? Can I get the t5i to work? What settings do I need to have? The camera person needs to be able to see what they are shooting on the camera's LCD screen.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks. I can get the output of the t5i, but the camera screen goes black. Is the problem the LCD screen and the HDMI output can't both function at the same time?

• Require someone who know topic. As far as I know low end canons all output some crap to HDMI.

I made title little simple, ok?