Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intel Optane will be available since April for affordable prices

Sales start April 24th, 16GB module cost is $44 and 32GB module is $77.

They are made as M.2 PCIe 3.0 drives.

sample1026.jpg
    679 x 381 - 55K
  • 7 Replies sorted by

Optane SSD 900P with 280GB of storage will cost $389, while a 480GB model is priced at $599.

Intel today announced the launch of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, the first SSD for desktop PC and workstation users built on Intel® Optane™ technology. Intel, in collaboration with Roberts Space Industries*, announced the new SSD at CitizenCon, a Star Citizen community gathering in Frankfurt, Germany.

The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series delivers incredibly low latency and best-in-class random read and write performance at low queue depths – up to four times faster than competitive NAND-based SSDs – opening incredible new possibilities. With the new SSDs, users will unlock more potential from their platform. The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series is ideal for the most demanding storage workloads, including 3D rendering, complex simulations, fast game load times and more. Up to 22 times more endurance than other drives also gives the heaviest users peace of mind.

sa242.jpg
    638 x 431 - 34K
  • Something happened in Intel (in a bad way).

After exactly one day Intel fully changed announced prices (officially!)

Now $569 instead of $389 for 280Gb SSD, and 480Gb now $979 instead of $599.

May be new prices are somehow connected to opioids issue - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/17438/us-opioids-issue

• I thought the original prices posted were 2X as much as I'd pay and ridiculous... what now, did they base MSRP on bitcoin from last month... ;-)

• @NickBen

I think change came from rational reason. Such things are useful for high loaded things with lot of small requests, mostly database servers and similar things.
    And it seems that Intel has issues producing good amount of such chips. Hence price hike will save many managers positions for some time more.

• a few years ago I previously could justify moving a few computers to the new intel platforms for optane based on the original optane press releases , but the actual release pricing, size capacities and real-world performance skews it way too far into fantasy land for all but a few corporate use cases

I'd rather setup an NVME raid card with two to four drives or use onboard NVME raid instead of optane anything at this point

let's hope everyone else releases their competing architectures ASAP, as Intel "Optane" is simply the Intel "RAMBUS" of our decade so far- overpriced and of little real world advantage by the time pricing hits parity with advances in existing flash tech...

• I'd rather setup an NVME raid card with two to four drives or use onboard NVME raid instead of optane anything at this point

RAID is for linear speed problem, writing or reading large blocks.

Optane originally proposed both very fast IO for small items, as well as very fast read and write speeds. Since the time marketing and management understood that you can use Apple approach by feeding one spoon at a time, and asking big money for each spoon. Instead of just showing all your cards.

• Effect of adding Optane to HDDs

sa767.jpg
    777 x 147 - 31K
    sa768.jpg
    745 x 148 - 27K