Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Showreel 2: Skin tones
  • The next showreel is all about 'Skin tones'. One of the hardest things to get right is the tone colour of skin within the use of available lighting. Often it can have an unnatural look, harsh, over-saturated, orange and just well, wrong. So we are looking at techniques pre-post to get the most accurate looking skin tones matching to the original ethnicity of the skin - to reproduce what we see with our eyes. So this brings into question lighting and camera settings to achieve a look that is both convincing and easiest to grade in post.

Any personal-view members who would like to participate please say 'Aye' below. We require just 5 seconds (FIVE SECONDS) shot on the GH2 using ANY patch (including stock firmware if you like) to show off the merits of the GH2 and it's film modes using 1080p24, 720p, 1080i, MJPEG HD/VGA - it would be interesting to see a variety of different lenses being utilised. Shoot anytime of day / night.

What you will supply:
    You need only upload an original mts file (short recordings only folks detailing the 5 seconds IN/OUT points) nothing else.
    A summary of the hack/no hack, patch, film mode, lens, lens setting (aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc...) and a info note about the sort of lighting employed, and anything interesting you find about lens or camera settings.

People willing to participate should have dropbox or a similar upload site where we can pull down the original mts file from and of course communicate through this thread.
    Updated Closing date: 5th January 2012.

Example Skin tone test from Tonaci Tran for RED Scarlet X: http://vimeo.com/ 32843511 is here (delete space to get correct url)

Goto http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies wiki for this project.
  • 74 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig

Just sign in and edit the page adding your name.

http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/gh2_skin_tones_project:gh2_skin_tones_project_main_page

You need to create a new user with a password since this is not yet synced with user's db from personal-view.com

• @RRRR I guess some people feel like you just described. I wouldn't worry. This is just a test that we all can learn from ;-)

• @driftwood

OK, I just didn't see my name on the list linked to above by Tommyboy, not that it matters to me. However, if I need to provide any additional info just let me know.

Muchos Gracias

• @driftwood

If my clip looks REALLY bad in contrast to the others, ungraded, then you can remove it. (I'm having second thoughts due to a WB mishap)

:)

• Ill be dropbox syncing later tonight so Ill grab any of yesterday and todays then.

• I've updated the wiki with the link to my file. driftwood did you get my PM with settings & such?

• @spacewig yours were in first, dont worry. :-)

• @driftwood

Are you going to be using my clips? I don't see my name on the list nor have I received a confirmation. Let me know so I can update accordingly (if at all)

Cheers

• @SuperRoach Good idea. Can everyone who has dropboxed me, update the wiki and tell me the name of the folder / file they have have shared next to their name.

• When you get a chance driftwood (when you're compiling i guess, no rush :) ), can you update to see who's put in their clips all fine for you. I did for the original date, but edited the wiki to mark myself as having done so.

• @driftwood

cool! Shot some today with quantum 7. :)

• @RRRR There's still time for you dont worry :-)

• @driftwood Count me out on this one - ran out of time. Cheers.

• @Tommyboy - cheers. I didn't mean to be a jerk. I missed (didn't see) the actual date.

• @driftwood I dropped it in the box

• @RRRR

"Guys, its time to get your skin tone tests in, some of you have, some of you are yet to link me to your fies or invite me to your dropbox folder so I can download them. I'll extend deadline to next Monday 9th January, and then that's it. Here's the process to send me for dropbox;-

1. Join Dropbox (its free) if you havent already.
    2. Sign in and make a folder called '[your personal-view nickname]+ Skin tone clip/s'. 3 Copy & upload your MTS file/s into the folder. Your computer wil take a number of minutes to upload to the shared dropbox folder. Remember we require MTS originals even if you supply mov files etc..
    3. Invite me (driftwood.brighton@gmail.com) to your Dropbox folder youve just made.
    4. Include a notepad.text file of all your settings, lens, shutter, iso, profile, any lighting details, etc... as to your files.
    5. Thanks!

Best, Nick"

Just read the thread.

• @driftwood what's the deadline for this? I might be able to pull something off (but maybe I'm not allowed since I haven't signed up already)..

• I think there are a number of proggies like clipwrap that can wrap it, then you can cut it/trim and re-export. Or failing that I will accept ANY INTRA codec transcode (e.g. AVCHD export to AVC INTRA or P2 mxf.

• @driftwood, when I edit out a 5 sec clip, I just realized that I don't know how to save or export in the original mts format... never had to do it before. Is there a way to edit a clip and then export as mts in Premiere?

• sohus, from the faq

tsMuxeR - works

Smart Cutter - works

Final Mate - works, but the resulting files crash Vegas Pro 10

• I can't trim my .MTS files without creating a new .MOV or .MPEG file.

• @shian Thanks, would be very nice to see how your stuff works out on this test. I'll put that to the others.

• @driftwood forgot all about it. i'll have something for you by tomorrow night