Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wide Angle Adapters topic
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a photo of the 16X9 0.7X HDV7X1 wide angle adapter mounted on a Tokina AT-X 20-35mm f2.8 zoom lens. This rig is about as front heavy as I can comfortably handle.
    P1040578.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 1M
  • Also keep in mind that the GH2 does NOT have a 2x crop. It is actually a 1.84, more or less identical to that of academy sized film.
  • They are very flare prone.
    Many have huge abberations and distortion.

The main part.
    I still do not understand why 14mm panckage is pricey.
    It is not, as many taken from kits are available on ebay for cheap.
  • Cheap wide-angle adapters, regardless of how they're branded, will turn your sharp, high-resolution prime into a cheap wide-angle lens. Even the best wide-angle adapters will have barrel distortion, high susceptibility to lens flare and require a larger lens shade if not a full-scale matte box.

Some of the highest quality wide angle adapters are made by Century Optics and 16X9 Inc. These are priced in the $500+ range and are quite heavy. I've used a 16X9 0.7X HDV7X1 72mm with numerous primes and its quality is indeed very good:

http://www.amazon.com/16X9-Professional-Attachment-Panasonic-AG-DVX100A/dp/B000FLNWYK

While this particular 16x9 model is no longer in production, it can be found used on occasion. 16X9 currently makes a variety of wide angle adapters in various magnification ratios. I would not recommend an adapter with less than four internal lens elements or with a magnification ratio wider than 0.6X.