Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Use 4x TRS inputs on Zoom h4n
  • If I want to use 4x wireless mics I end up with 4x TRS outputs on receivers. Is there a way I can connect the TRS to the XLR input on the Zoom H4N ?

I can use a splitter to use the TRRS input on the H4n to connect two TRS. But its the two TRS into two XLR inputs that has me stumped.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • From what I read about the Zoom H4n, it has two combo XLR/phone inputs. Each will accept 3-pin balanced XLR mic-level, or 2-conductor (TR) mono phone plug line-level.

Do your receivers have unbalanced outputs? If so, you just need a cable terminated in a 1/4" mono phone plug.

• No, you don't want XLR plugs into the H4n. You want mono phone plugs.

But why do your receivers have TRS connectors if they're unbalanced? What receiver do you have?

• Azden PRO-XD 2.4 GHz Digital Wireless Lavalier System

Mic Output: 1/8" (3.5 mm) dual-mono/stereo Headphone Output: 1/8" (3.5 mm) stereo

I want this to be recorded into the inputs on the Zoom H4N. The problem relates to the 2x XLR inputs on Zoom H4N

H4N has a single stereo 3.5mm input and 2x mono XLR inputs for a total of 4x inputs.

• Those XLR inputs aren't just XLR inputs. They're dual XLR/phone plug inputs. You can plug an XLR plug into them, or a phone plug into them. When you plug an XLR in, the H4n expects a mic-level balanced signal. When you plug a phone plug in, the H4n expects an unbalanced line-level signal.

RECEIVER (PRO-XDR) Max Output Level: -14dBV

I guess that's mic level. And it says dual mono. So you need a 3.5 mm TRS dual-mono to XLR cable wired for stereo to mono, unbalanced to balanced. That means tip and ring to pin 2, and sleeve to pins 3 and 1.

• All good, I think the headphone output is line level. So a stereo 3.5mm to mono 1/4" would work.