Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Perhaps the first full feature movie on the hacked gh2
  • 97 Replies sorted by
  • @Danyyyel You speak a whole lot of truth there.
    I also dont understand the rig fetish (but thats another thread one day!)
    A dslr is a small compact and powerful filmmaking tool why cant people just hold it when shooting a film? haha
    Some form of stablisation is good enough but I find all that rig gear just gets in the way. The small form allows you to put the camera in angles a large format doesn't....Adds extra creativity.

@Ian-T
    "Personally, with this camera, I think all we need now worry about is how good we are as cinematographers."

Dont forget storytellers also. Many can make a pretty image but might not be able to string a plot together.
    There's plenty of beautiful looking but instantly forgettable films out there ;-)

And Love you!!...Crank 2 is pure mindless awesome! Roll on Crank 3! haha

I dont think there would be much problem how GH2 footage would look on a big screen...Lets not forget some of Danny boyles work used low end cameras (28 days later,slumdog,127 Hours) and look great on the big screen.
    Inland empire was shot with a DSR-PD150...although lynch was going for imperfection in the image.
  • Understand that some of us began with GH1 or GH2. It's been a rapid progress, and we know by heart that hacked GH is ready for prime time. We just need to cover more non-gear stuffs to complete the picture. Why don't you initiate new topics, @Mimirsan? You making your 1st film, right? Share some of your filming experience.
  • @Mimirsan
    "Inland empire was shot with a DSR-PD150...although lynch was going for imperfection in the image. "
    and how did that work out for the film? :) ! hehe, it's a funny case that one and I know it was reasoned but that doesn't make it a successful attempt. It was a painfully boring and bad movie in my book which looked absolutely disgusting and had me distracted throughout. I had to make myself rewatch it as I slept over parts. BTW I'm a big Lynch fan. Love Lost Highway and Blue Velvet:)

127 hours used mainly 35mm and the SI-2K(same as Slumdog, which looked great in cinema) which is a very good cam that records native 2k at raw :) dslrs were predominantly used in stills burst mode to achieve some of the cool "undercranking" -low fps effects that you see, not really in video mode
    28 days used dvx100 but I never saw that on the big screen so can't testify.

But I agree ofcourse that well shot, well exposed, well lensed, well lit, well graded GH2 footage will look amazing on the big screen. I did see Monsters at the cinema which was shot on sony EX3+35mm adapter and looked great, and the GH2 is just as good, if not better in terms of resolution/sharpness and definitely light years better in low light.
  • I just got on board to shoot a feature as DOP. We have 2 GH2's we will be using for the production....I will post bits and pieces as it gets going :) ---Likely I will choose a 1 Gop patch from Driftwoods vault of awesomeness to shoot on....
  • @No_SuRReNDeR

Congrats. Post away and often
  • @Stefenos
    Thats a matter of opinion yeah I do love Lynch and Inland is more back to old experimental Lynch when he did things like the grandmother. Lost highway is my all time favourite.
    At the end of the day these films have been shown on the big screen irregardless of the tech or looking pretty.

@Stonebat
    I feel if I dont have a completed film to show then theres not much point as yet.

Its my hobby in that I plan to shoot a film every 1 to 2 years as I have a daughter with special needs that takes higher priority.
    My approach is so minimal its this.
    Have limited resources (no actors no budget)
    Come up with a story,script,storyboarded with these limitations in mind. (I have lots of ideas most are too big)
    Chose b&w because a) i like b&w b)makes matching the cams easier
    Shot film with what I had/who to hand GH1,GF1,HX9,GH2,Nex 5n...no major rigs just tripod and shoulder mount for one shot then thrown in bin. Use external recorder (zoom) for some audio.
    Shoot shoot shoot til everything is shot.
    Do rough cuts in premier and then do any reshoots if req.
    Re record dialogue,sound fx from scratch (not recommended)
    Tighten up the flow of the film in edit
    FX work and animation (which im doing now)
    Listen to my wife nag me as I didnt do a simple drama and had to do something with fx...but I like fantasy genre films ;-)

My goal? not to be loved or to demonstrate a camera/hack/gear but to make a good enough film to get more people interested in being in my next project.
    Technology is so good these days that anyone can go out and shoot a film if they wish or have the determination to.
    I dont initiate new topics?...I guess thats true. I tend to read topics and get caught up in them sometimes going off the rails haha
    How about you Stonebat? Got a film in the pipeline? ;-)

I hope vesubio doesn't get too downhearted that most mention is the hack and grading rather than his filmmaking skill,script and actor performance.
  • @Blackout:
    these are some stills of the "film of the film" - its not really worth uploading the whole scene because you cant judge quality. its just a CAMRIP after all ;)

btw, thats me in the bottom right corner :-D
    00028.mp4_snapshot_03.59_[2011.12.04_11.53.00].jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 136K
    00028.mp4_snapshot_03.31_[2011.12.04_11.53.40].jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 129K
    00028.mp4_snapshot_04.15_[2011.12.04_11.54.09].jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 135K
  • @Mimirsan I'm not even thinking about filming. I just got a local biz license and am looking for local event shooting, commercials, and interviews. I want $$$. I've been trying to convince a buddy who is a fantastic photographer, but he's skeptical. So it's just me. You are absolutely right. Shoot shoot just keep shooting until it gets right. But a simple rig does help when there is only one chance to shoot. We do talk a lot about gears, and that's one way to get indirect experience. e.g. I learned a bit about 5N from you :)
  • This is a really good looking piece of work - big ups for Musgo.

Having said that - I'm a mediocre cinematographer, but a fucking kick-ass writer/director/designer - anyone want to collaborate? :-)
  • I had invited vesubio (Gami Orbegoso) to this forum so that we could discuss his CC techniques. He started a thread to say Thanks to Vitaliy and company but it was closed. Anyone know why? It would be good if we could hear back from him.
  • Yeah that was strange. It would be nice to hear about his approach.
  • Venga Gami, únete al foro que aquí se te espera con expectación, después del peazo trailer que has montao.
    Gracias
  • Hi guys,first thank you for your support, sorry for my bad english
  • @Vesubio

Hey man, I want to congratulate you on yr great work! I am a filmmaker myself, and am constantly looking for ways to squeeze juice out of my existing gear. I write and direct, but shoot occasionally on a GH2.

Couple of questions: Where will the final release be screened? It'll be such a pity if it were just going straight to DVD, or streamed over the internet.

If you're planning a cinematic release, what is yr TC(telecine) going to be like? You're grading on Quantel, Da Vinci, or other systems? What was yr transcoding like? I suppose you did not work on native 4:2:0 - otherwise you couldn't have enough colour info to pull in post.

Be glad to hear from you. Cheers

• @Ian_T

Pls dun get me wrong. No matter the size of the sensor, or manner of codec, there is only so much info you can write on to a flash card - that's a fact. The only way to really beat every ounce of juice out of a hacked GH2 is to enable it to record externally. It'll be awesome, and then who needs a RED?

But, it's not going to happen is it - for us to HDMI out?

So given the native process of recording, it's really trying to fill a pot using water from a teacup, if you see what I mean. So little info, blown up to fill a wide surface area that is the silver screen - can you see noise? Can you see aberration? Can you see artifacts?

Only time will tell? Or Vesubio can help us.
  • Hi kazuo, thanks for your words, my first move is to send to film festivals and if I have luck to get in, I would consider the DCP (Digital Cinema Package ) jpeg2000 codec is the future for the indie filmmakers in this forum talk about http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9849bf19665a1cd0d1203a5c36b41490& , the Telecine(35mm) is dead, important thing in a movie is the story, remember the dogma movement....
  • The first Driftwood Productions GH2 INTRA movie 'The First Raindrop & The Last Teardrop' was screened to 80,000 people at Nuit Blanc Brighton on 29th October 2011. We like to practice what we speak.
    1 teardrop premiere2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 436K
    2 teardrop premiere1.png
    720 x 405 - 1M
  • @Driftwood
    Interesting do you have any footage online?
    *Edit* Just saw some via google.
  • We'd love to show it Mimirsan, however, as we are coloborating with Silent Cinema (http://www.silent-cinema.co.uk) regarding it now being used in future national SC demonstrations and looking to enter it in a few film festivals - at this stage we can't. Yes, there is an early preview made with EX3 with Letus Extreme adapter and 5DMKII on youtube but its totally different. The final version shot throughout this October was made totally on GH2 INTRA.
    We are currently filming 'The Collective Short Stories of Bertolt Brecht' and early next year we'll be putting some online teasers up.
  • @driftwood : what is your personal job on these projects exactly? im curious! :)
  • Director, writer, actor, we have a number of projects with different Brighton writers too. We do films, commercials, music vids, etc... many of which are not on our web site, youtube,, vimeo, etc... We also do theatre; last year's successful Fringe comedy 'Cock & Tail Inn' is now on the desk of Sky. We hope to strike a deal for a new sit-comedy with them as they saw the play.
    We're also involved on a joint TV project with another prod company regarding a reality show which I can't talk about.
    @fatpig and you?
  • @fatpig

Thanks that looks like it came out really great! I have screened my GH13 stuff at the 34th street AMC theater late at night and was amazed how well the gh13 looked so I am excited to try it with the GH2, but mine was purely digital... crazy that you actually transferred to film... how much did it cost...?excuse me if it was already mentioned in the thread.
  • I'm so happy to see this

@oscillian

by that you mean the budget was spent correctly. Without spending 30K on a camera you can actually produce a movie.
  • @tmcat

Exactly my point :)
  • @last_SHIFT may I point you in the direction of the PView collaborative project? I think we are on an unofficial holiday break right now, but rest assured, I'm not letting this one die out. If all this script decision stuff just falls apart, I'll write one myself and ask for help shooting it . . . or maybe you could do some writing?